Is 23 too old to be starting Uni? (1 Viewer)

only1year2go

HSC
I got into journalism at Uni and am starting this year. The thing is I am 23 years old and fear that everyone else will be 18 and 19 (not that that is a problem, I get along well with younger people). I may just feel a bit weird. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do when I was 18 so I worked full time up until now.

What do you think?

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Nah. It's never too late for further education. You're still quite young!!

enoilgam

HSC
You might feel a littl weird if you become active in the social side of uni - but I'm sure that there will be people around your age. Otherwise it should be fine, I've had people from 50 - 75 years old in some of my units.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
You're not the only one. There are heaps of mature aged students (most are at UTS), so it depends which uni.

I know one guy who's around 75 - 80 years old doing Bachelor of Business at UTS. Not sure how to feel for those working with him in the group projects...

RishBonjour

HSC
I got into journalism at Uni and am starting this year. The thing is I am 23 years old and fear that everyone else will be 18 and 19 (not that that is a problem, I get along well with younger people). I may just feel a bit weird. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do when I was 18 so I worked full time up until now.

What do you think?

There are plenty of 'older' people at uni (but they all tend to look 20 haha). I met a mature aged student in one of my group assignments, she was 25 (would pass as a 20 year old any day). Without her our whole group would have failed because she basically called us up to go consults and work on assignment etc etc. She is now president of one of the societies (very 'mature' and dedicated - advantage).
It won't make any difference to your university experience (if anything, it will be better).

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I know one guy who's around 75 - 80 years old doing Bachelor of Business at UTS. Not sure how to feel for those working with him in the group projects...
Probably better than half of the other students you could end up with in a group. As long as he already has FB for communication with the group lol.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Probably better than half of the other students you could end up with in a group. As long as he already has FB for communication with the group lol.
Yeah true. Mature students seem to be more on top of the edge and more intelligent than us recent school-leaver students.

Like that 'Nick' guy on the FB page who argued that non ACCT/FINS major students shouldn't be doing B.BUS in the first place? lol

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Like that 'Nick' guy who argued that non ACCT/FINS major students shouldn't be doing B.BUS in the first place? lol
I'm still not quite sure if that guy was a troll. Tried to convince anyone asking questions the night before ABDA exam that they should drop and redo the subject if they didn't know everything. Then he was complaining about the "difficulty" of it the following sem - guess he followed his own advice or failed.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It is never too old unless you think it is. Congratulations on getting into the journalism course. Just make sure you stay engaged on the social side of things and focus on trying your very best. You will be fine:)-best wishes for acing your university studies this year:)

enoilgam

HSC
I got by fine :p. But to be honest, in general, most mature age students are more dedicated than school leavers. You have to be really driven to return to uni after spending time in the workforce.

peri24

HSC

What do you think?

of course not! u r female, not male. id luv to b wid a 23 yo female. u might b in ur prime age soon! suxs u r doing journalism tho coz i wont b able to b wid u!

bangladesh

HSC
It's no where near too old. I know people who are around 30-35 and have just gotten into medschool.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Not really.

I made a few friends at uni which pertain to this thread, and age never came up - they're not super old, and then I found out like one is 22 and the other is like 23. No biggie, I don't care - and no one really should.

You're all university students.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
U will be fine. I am 18 and I like making friends with a mixture of people older and people my age. It is the content of a person that matters! Though sometimes I do feel sorry for the people who are 40+ in age and sit by themselves amongst all these youths.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm still not quite sure if that guy was a troll. Tried to convince anyone asking questions the night before ABDA exam that they should drop and redo the subject if they didn't know everything. Then he was complaining about the "difficulty" of it the following sem - guess he followed his own advice or failed.
He also keeps interrupting (very rudely) and trashing Harry's Eco for Business nightly lecture, thus not finishing in time. He seems to sit alone in the corner in the 8pm tutorials and others look at him with disgust and disrespect (I've been to this because I skipped my other tute lol).

Pretty suprised how this guy is 50-something

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm turning 24 and I'm in my final year...

PS: heaps of older plebs studying...

dim-sims

HSC
Better late than never they say.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)