• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Speculative ATAR estimate (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
GUYS PLS GIVE ME AN ATAR ESTIMATE im stressing for hsc and need motivation

my school is ranked around 45-50
english advanced - rank 69/156, avg mark around 75%, b6 last yr - 28
maths advanced - rank 15/107 mark around 92%, b6 last - 36
maths ext 1 - rank 47/85 avg mark around 75%, b6 last yr - 28
biology - 34/57, avg mark around 70%, b6 last yr - 7
chemistry - 31/69 , avg mark around 75%, b6 last yr - none
pdhpe - rank 16/29 avg mark around 80%, b6 last - 5
Based on this information, you seem to be on track with an ATAR between 84 and 87.

Mathematics Advanced appears to be your best-performing subject, meaning that it is likely to make a positive contribution to your ATAR. Because of this, you should ensure that you keep preparing for your HSC exam to the best of your ability while maintaining your effective study strategy. This will hopefully allow you to maintain this favourable standard and maximise the contribution that this subject can make to your ATAR.

The same can be suggested, although to a slightly lower extent, regarding your position in Mathematics Extension 1 and PDHPE. This means that while both subjects can make a positive contribution to your ATAR, you may be able to improve your performance in both subjects by thoroughly preparing for your HSC exams.

English Advanced may be one of your lower-performing subjects. This is important to consider since this is the only subject that will always count as 2 units towards your ATAR. Based on this, you should make sure that your preparations are comprehensive as you progress through the last few remaining days before your English Advanced HSC exam.

Your position in Biology and Chemistry appears to be the least favourable compared to the rest of your subjects, meaning that it is possible that both subjects may be preventing you from achieving your full potential. You may therefore wish to place additional emphasis on your preparations for your HSC exams, which includes addressing any areas of improvement. This will hopefully enable you to solidify your overall performance which, alongside the contribution of Mathematics Extension 1 (which means that one of Biology or Chemistry will likely count as 1 unit), will increase your chances of reaching your desired ATAR.

I hope this helps! :D

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
really?? that low 😭 i was expecting at least an atar of 90
This does not necessarily suggest that you cannot achieve a 90+ ATAR. Your HSC exams contribute the remaining 50% of your overall HSC marks across your subjects, because of which favourable performance in each of your HSC exams could enable you to make significant performance improvements. The better your performance in your HSC exams, the more you will be able to maximise your ATAR (and hopefully consistent with your goal and expectations).

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Omg thank you so much!!! If i manage to achieve rly well in the hsc do you think an atar of 95 is still possible or is that pushing it? like will my ranks/internals pull me down by a lot even if i do well in hsc?
No worries! i would not say that it is impossible, although it will definitely be challenging. You will likely need to achieve as many HSC exam marks in the band 6/E4 range to increase your chances of achieving an ATAR of 95. The higher your marks within the band 6/E4, the closer you can get to your ATAR goal. You should therefore ensure that you do your utmost to prepare thoroughly. Overall, I think that it is worth a try.

applegirly

HSC
No worries! i would not say that it is impossible, although it will definitely be challenging. You will likely need to achieve as many HSC exam marks in the band 6/E4 range to increase your chances of achieving an ATAR of 95. The higher your marks within the band 6/E4, the closer you can get to your ATAR goal. You should therefore ensure that you do your utmost to prepare thoroughly. Overall, I think that it is worth a try.
jimmy! is an atar of 68 easy to get please help me

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
jimmy! is an atar of 68 easy to get please help me
An ATAR of 68 is slightly below the average ATAR. Generally speaking, it is rather easy to achieve, with HSC marks band 4 range usually being sufficient for this ATAR. Of course, your own chances will depend on your ranks as well as your performance in your HSC exams.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
deestar101 said:
hey, so i really wanted to get an atar that preferably 90 and over but i do not think its feasible at this point. i go to a poorly ranked school in south syd (hovering around that 350 rank) my trials did not go as i had hoped and these are my current ranks and marks

english adv: around 62% (around 9/19)
maths adv: 77% (around 6/29)
pdhpe: 41% (20/24) won't count
sac: 93% (2/15)
legal: 82% (3/39)
biology: 69% (around 10/35)

if i studied really hard, what would be the highest possible atar i could get ? could i at least get in the mid 80s or higher or is that unrealistic
From this information, your current performance seems consistent with an ATAR up to 79.5. This essentially means that an ATAR in the low 80s range is within reach and is a realistic goal. However, an 85+ ATAR is likely to be significantly more difficult to achieve, although it may still be within reach. On the other hand, I think that a 90+ ATAR may no longer be a realistic goal. Regardless, it is important to note that maximising your ATAR at this stage will rely heavily on your performance in your HSC exams, which contribute the remaining 50% of your overall HSC marks. This is the reason that you must do your utmost to perform favourably, ideally across your subjects, so that you can make improve your overall position as much as possible and consequently maximise your ATAR.

Your best-performing subject appears to be Society and Culture, meaning that it will likely make the best contribution to your ATAR compared to the rest of your subjects. Because of this, you should ensure that you thoroughly prepare for your Society and Culture HSC exam. Much of the same can be suggested regarding Biology and, to a slightly lesser extent, Mathematics Advanced, which appear to be your second and third best-performing subjects respectively.

PDHPE is your worst-performing subject, although this will not matter since you take 12 units. As such, your focus must shift to English Advanced, where there seems to be significant room for improvement, and also because it is the only subject that will always count towards your ATAR.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
FAIL_URE:-( said:
@jimmysmith560 School Rank: around 200-205 (ik its not too good)

MATH EXT 2 |Rank 3/5|, |AVERAGE: 73%|, |B6 Last Year: 1/4| (this year's cohort is way better, 4/5 b6 expected)
MATH EXT 1 |Rank 6/14|, |AVERAGE: 76.9%|, |B6 Last Year: 3/11| (this year's cohort is not exponentially better, but still decent in comparison to last year)
ENG ADV |1/46|, |AVERAGE: 99%|, |B6 Last Year: 20/39| (this year's cohort is exponentially stronger)
CHEM |7/18|, |AVERAGE: 64%, |B6 Last Year: 1/14| (bombed trials, R1 average is 77%, they marked exceptionally harshly and hard internals too)
ECO |1/8|, |AVERAGE: 93%|, |B6 Last Year: 0/7| (again this year's cohort is way better, expecting 3 b6 and 1 mid to high b5)

please tell me 95 atar and above is still possible, I should be able to solid b6 all my externals (92-96) Note: chem excluded, but i'll try my best
Your current performance seems consistent with an ATAR between 95.5 and 97.5. From your post, this is good news because it means that you are on track towards achieving and potentially exceeding your ATAR goal, and potentially the upper end of this estimate, given that you are ranked first in two of your subjects, an aspect I will elaborate on below).

Your position in English Advanced reflects highly favourable performance. As such, this subject is likely to make an outstanding contribution to your ATAR. The fact that you are ranked first is also beneficial, especially if you also score the highest HSC exam mark in your cohort for this subject, allowing you to maximise your overall HSC mark and consequently this subject's contribution towards your ATAR. It is therefore important that you continue to prepare for your English Advanced HSC exam according to your evidently effective study strategy.

Your performance in Mathematics Extension 2 and Economics is also of a high standard, meaning that both subjects will likely make a positive contribution to your ATAR. However, the potential for a high HSC mark in Economics is greater than that of Mathematics Extension 2 because you are ranked first in Economics. Similar to English Advanced, if you achieve the highest HSC exam mark in your cohort for Economics, your overall HSC mark can end up higher than it would should you be ranked lower than first.

The same can be suggested, although perhaps to a slightly lower extent, about your performance in Mathematics Extension 1. This indicates that there is a bit more room for improvement in this subject compared to your better-performing subjects, so you may wish to consider focusing a bit more on this subject as you prepare for your HSC exams. This is even more applicable to Chemistry, which appears to be your lowest-performing subject, that is, where there is the most room for improvement.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
pkzrar said:
@jimmysmith560 sorry to bother but cld I get a prediction please 🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️
Given this information, you seem to be on track with an ATAR in the low to mid 90's range. More specifically, that would be an ATAR of at least 90.5 and up to 95. This means that your ATAR goal is within reach. Your performance is essentially favourable across your subjects, although the extent to which it is differs across your subjects.

Mathematics Advanced is your best-performing subject, meaning that it is likely to make a very good contribution towards your ATAR. You should therefore continue to prepare in the same way for your Mathematics Advanced HSC exam, allowing you to ensure favourable overall performance in the subject.

The same can be suggested, although to a slightly lesser extent, regarding your performance in English Advanced and Biology. This means that both subjects are also likely to make a good contribution towards your ATAR, but possibly a bit less than Mathematics Advanced. Regardless, thorough preparations for your HSC exams will help you perform well in them and maximise the contribution that these subjects can make towards your ATAR.

While your performance is not of a low standard, Chemsitry and PDHPE appear to be your lowest-performing subjects. This means that compared to the rest of your subjects, these are the two subjects where there is significant room for improvement (this likely applies more to Chemistry). As such, you may wish to consider allocating additional study time towards these two subjects so that you perform in the HSC exam of each and ultimately maximise your chances of achieving your ATAR goal.

I hope this helps! 😄

igor9

HSC
finwand said:
Hi guys!

I go to a school ranked 50s. What is my current ATAR estimate do you think, and which subjects do I need to push to get above 95? Is it impossible?

Biology 9/34 - around 5 band 6s a year
Chemistry 11/18 - around 1 band 6 a year..
English Adv 11/ 98 - around 18 band 6s a year
English Ext-1 9/13 -unsure, cohort is normally 2 or 3
English Ext-2 7/8 -unsure, cohort is normally 1
Society and Culture 6/24 - around 17 band 6s a year and 2 state ranks

Thank you, I'm so worried I won't be able to get into uni
tf ur gonna get into uni rn i would say an atar around 90 maybe a bit higher or lower depending on how u do in the hsc, a band 6 in english adv will be good for ur atar so make sure to do good in that.

also a band 6 in english adv will get u 5 extra pts with hsc plus, so u will actually be chilling if u get that so make sure to band 6.

igor9

HSC
maybe ion know try just scoring that first, hypothetical discussions don't matter, just do ur best

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
@jimmysmith560 whats your prediction for finwand?
Considering this information, OP's performance is consistent with an ATAR in the low 90s. Specifically, that would be an ATAR no lower than 90.5 and up to 94.

English Advanced and Society and Culture seem to be OP's best-performing subjects and are likely to make a positive contribution to her ATAR. Because of this, OP must ensure that she thoroughly prepares for the HSC exam of these subjects, allowing her to perform well and solidify her overall performance, maximising the contribution of each subject to her ATAR.

The same can be suggested, although perhaps to a slightly lesser extent, about OP's performance in Biology. This means that this subject is also likely to make a positive contribution to OP's ATAR, although it may not be as significant as that of English Advanced or Society and Culture. Favourable HSC exam performance can therefore help OP achieve a better overall HSC mark in the subject and increase her chances of reaching a higher ATAR.

Lastly, OP's position in English Extension 1 and English Extension 2 appears to be the least favourable compared to the rest of her subjects. While her performance is not necessarily unfavourable, these subjects may make the lowest contribution to her ATAR out of her subjects. Technically, the English Extension 2 Major Work was already submitted since it was due in late August, so hopefully that goes well. This leaves OP with the English Extension 1 HSC exam, and she must do her utmost in preparation for it to ensure the best possible result.

I hope this helps! 😄

Demons

goated member
HSC
idk but I can tell you tips to help you maximise your ATAR since I do almost literally all the subjects you do except business.

Maths - Grind past papers only way to improve and look at sample solutions to try help learn how to do the questions
SDD - Practice your algorithms a lot and the content is pretty easy just link it all back to the scenario
IPT - same as SDD

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
ihatehsc24 said:
cheers man, will definitely keep these points in mind. I think I had a look at your "atar estimation" post and I think @jimmysmith560 could help in my as well. Hopefully they have a look at my post as well!
ihatehsc24, would you be able to provide your school rank? This would provide a better idea of your cohort strength and as such would enable to pinpoint your current position more accurately. :)

Demons, I will get to your post as well when I get the chance. :)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Sure, my school is ranked 64.
Your school rank and your performance likely indicate that your school sets rather difficult tasks, especially Mathematics Standard and English Standard, which are your better-performing subjects. At the same time, your ranks in the rest of your subjects indicate that there is possibly greater room for improvement, which is an aspect that you can address through favourable performance in your HSC exams. As such, you should ensure that you thoroughly prepare for your HSC exams to ensure the best possible results and consequently significant improvement to your overall performance across your subjects.

Overall, based on this information, an ATAR of 80 is possible, subject to favourable HSC exam performance. Maximising your chances of reaching and exceeding an ATAR of 80 ideally requires band 5's in your HSC exams across your subjects. Of course, the higher the results, the higher your ATAR will end up being.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
hello i am so scared for hsc because even though i feel pretty confident in my subjs, i am super unsure of how the scaling will ultimately affect my atar. i am aiming for a 99.5+ and i was wondering if people could give insights into what marks they got relative to their atar or give me a prediction based on my ranks...

these are in order of subj | rank | how many people got a b6 last year (for context, my school is top 5)

engadv | 2/153 | 66
mx1 | 15/128 | 79
mx2 | 14/65 | 43
modern | 2/30 | 10
legal (i did accel last yr and got 95)

i heard that @jimmysmith560 is the expert but anyone's advice would be awesome! thanks :p
Your current performance is of a very high standard and it seems consistent with an ATAR up to 99.7, meaning that your ATAR goal of 99.5+ is definitely within reach. I agree with the above posts, which emphasise the importance of performing at the same standard in all of your HSC exams. Your HSC exams contribute the remaining 50% of your overall HSC marks across your subjects. You should therefore ensure that you apply your highly effective study strategy as you continue to prepare for your HSC exams, allowing you to maintain this level of performance, ultimately maximising your chances of achieving your ATAR goal.

All the best! 😄

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Gentlemanlygerm said:
My school is ranked in the 130s:
SubjectAssessment RankBand 6s My trial mark + trial rank
English Advanced 22/700 (2023), 3 (2022), 3 (2021)78 + 30/70
Visual Arts2/102 (2023), 3 (2022), 0 (2021)86 + 2/10
Modern History 2/140 (2023), 0 (2022), 1 (2021)86 + 1/14
Society and culture 5/252 (2023), 2 (2022), 2 (2021)78 + 4/25 (messed up in trials but could get a 90 or high band 5)
Community and Family Studies 5/354 (2023), 0 (2022), 0 (2021) 90 + 2/35
I'm aiming for around a 75-80 ATAR to do a bachelor of arts.
From this information, you seem to be on track with an ATAR of up to 80.5. This means that the upper end of your ATAR goal is definitely within reach, subject to similar HSC exam performance.

Visual Arts is your best-performing subject, meaning that it is likely to make the best contribution to your ATAR out of your subject combination. To ensure that you achieve your ATAR goal, you should thoroughly prepare for your Visual Arts HSC, which will allow you to perform well and maintain a favourable level of overall performance.

The same can be suggested about your performance in Modern History as well as Community and Family Studies, although to a slightly lesser extent. This means that while both subjects are likely to make a contribution that is consistent with your ATAR goal, you may be able to improve your overall performance in both subjects through favourable HSC exam performance, thereby enhancing the contributions of these subjects to your ATAR.

Lastly, English Advanced as well as Society and Culture appear to be your lowest-performing subjects. This indicates that, compared to your other subjects, this is where there is the largest room for improvement. As such, you may wish to consider focusing more on your preparations for their HSC exam to ensure the best possible result and ultimately maximise your chances of reaching (and potentially exceeding) your desired ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)