Is Advance English WAY Harder than Standard English (1 Viewer)

Gangstar1

HSC
Is Advance English WAY Harder than Standard English???
I really need to know the answer to this cause i have the option of both which 1?

pacman911

HSC
As far as i know, advanced seems to get a much bigger workload, so yes, I assume it would be harder. However, according scaling information, advanced English and standard English scale the same. I myself am doing standard English, which is quite cruisy.

hood hood

HSC
me as an individual personally believe that both subjects are tough due to my experience in advanced english in year 11 but then it gott really ugly i wasnt a big fan of shakespear is what we kind of learnt 24/7!
but now i do standard english and not to mention the topics are way awesome and im getting good in it, so at the end of the day it depends on you as a individual :) good luckk!!

thuanvon

HSC
advance in terms of work is harder
in terms of marks is easier to get a band 6 in because its nearly impossible to get a band 6 in standard maybe <1% of students

Existential

HSC
N/A
advanced is for academic students.
standard is for the not-so-academic students.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Workload is the same. The main difference between the two courses is that Advance kids have to do one shakespeare text.

Advance kids are also expected to analyse rather than describe.
On the other hand, most standard kids describe and the high achieving standard kids analyse.

That is why kids who don't know how to analyse think that the advanced course has a higher workload when it really doesn't - you get the same number of assignments etc etc - they need to spend more time working out how to analyse rather than describe/recount.

So yeah, i don't believe advance english is "way harder" at all - you just need to know how to analyse :)

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
advanced English and standard English scale the same
scaling is not exactly the same despite what various teachers have suggested to convince unworthy and incompetent advanced students to drop. Adv scales better, albeit, only slightly

Cowbell

HSC
Advanced english is a circlejerk for faggots who think they're smarter than others, the actual work is easy as fuck.

Standard english is exactly the fucking same as advanced, except you just get shitter marks because theres a predisposed idea that you're retarded because you do standard. It's another elitist bullshit subjective system that english teachers (who are the scum of the planet) come up with.

no, I don't do standard. I do extension 1. But english is still the shittest thing in the world.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Advanced english is a circlejerk for faggots who think they're smarter than others, the actual work is easy as fuck.

Standard english is exactly the fucking same as advanced, except you just get shitter marks because theres a predisposed idea that you're retarded because you do standard. It's another elitist bullshit subjective system that english teachers (who are the scum of the planet) come up with.

no, I don't do standard. I do extension 1. But english is still the shittest thing in the world.
No it isn't. You just have cunts for peers/teachers.

findsome1

HSC
It shouldnt be way hard. English Advanced and Standard have common assesment tasks which are done by the whole year but may be based around different topics.

Academic English Advanced student are those that are critical of the texts they are analysing.

Schoey93

HSC
Workload is the same. The main difference between the two courses is that Advance kids have to do one shakespeare text.

Advance kids are also expected to analyse rather than describe.
On the other hand, most standard kids describe and the high achieving standard kids analyse.

That is why kids who don't know how to analyse think that the advanced course has a higher workload when it really doesn't - you get the same number of assignments etc etc - they need to spend more time working out how to analyse rather than describe/recount.

So yeah, i don't believe advance english is "way harder" at all - you just need to know how to analyse :)
This is basically true, however, English (Advanced) students are also required to study more difficult texts in general. For example, for AOS: Journeys in Year 11 at my school, English (Advanced) students were required to study Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas hardy whilst English (Standard) students were required to study To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Now I read a decent chunk of Tess but I read all of Mockingbird in Year 9 and I far prefer Mockingbird. I think most people would agree with me.

In Year 12 it's much the same story. For Module A: Texts in Time, English (Advanced) students are required to study a pair of texts, whilst English (Standard) students are only required to study one text, and a different module. For Advanced you do Frankenstein (novel) and Blade Runner (film) and for Standard you do either The Castle or The Shoehorn Sonata (I don't know which texts are matched with which modules in Standard English).

Anyway, I chose Advanced English and I recommend it to anyone. It's worth giving it a try for at least all of Year 11. If you're still struggling to analyse texts efficiently after three terms, just drop it and do Standard English.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
This is basically true, however, English (Advanced) students are also required to study more difficult texts in general. For example, for AOS: Journeys in Year 11 at my school, English (Advanced) students were required to study Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas hardy whilst English (Standard) students were required to study To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Now I read a decent chunk of Tess but I read all of Mockingbird in Year 9 and I far prefer Mockingbird. I think most people would agree with me.

In Year 12 it's much the same story. For Module A: Texts in Time, English (Advanced) students are required to study a pair of texts, whilst English (Standard) students are only required to study one text, and a different module. For Advanced you do Frankenstein (novel) and Blade Runner (film) and for Standard you do either The Castle or The Shoehorn Sonata (I don't know which texts are matched with which modules in Standard English).

Anyway, I chose Advanced English and I recommend it to anyone. It's worth giving it a try for at least all of Year 11. If you're still struggling to analyse texts efficiently after three terms, just drop it and do Standard English.
LOL Tess is a piss easy text albeit boring. I never read it.

Standard is same level of difficulty as Advanced, however to do well in Standard is much much HARDER than Advanced.

Enchantress91

HSC
Standard English is very easy if you have a good teacher who knows her stuff (ie. attends HSC English teaching seminars, or if he/she's a marker). Don't do Advanced if you hate anything by Shakespeare, Jane Austen, etc. You still have to analyse things in depth in Standard, just with much better texts to work with.:p

Existential

HSC
N/A

how and why would someone who thinks of english like this actually ELECT to do extension?!?!?!?

i question whether you are actually good at english, because that comment was far from credible and very hypocritical.

Schoey93

HSC
LOL Tess is a piss easy text albeit boring. I never read it.

Standard is same level of difficulty as Advanced, however to do well in Standard is much much HARDER than Advanced.
'It's a piss easy text' and 'I never read it' put together is an oxymoron, mate. How can you find it 'piss easy' when you haven't even read it? I disagree that English (Standard) is as difficult as English (Advanced). Undoubtedly you will detract from my reputation just because I don't agree with you, but I couldn't care less. It's not like Bored of Studies means anything.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes it is harder, the texts are far more complex, and you are expected to write at a MUCH higher level. It scales higher too, despite what some people may tell you.

As a bit of an example; something like 50 kids in standard get a band 6 per year across the state; my whole advanced class got band 6 last year, most of them high band 6's too. Think about it, they have to cap standard or people would just do it to gain a higher mark. Same principle for general maths to 4 unit maths.

If you are any good at English choose advanced, it is a far more rewarding and valuable course.
Did someone from your school top English?

duckcowhybrid

HSC
'It's a piss easy text' and 'I never read it' put together is an oxymoron, mate. How can you find it 'piss easy' when you haven't even read it? I disagree that English (Standard) is as difficult as English (Advanced). Undoubtedly you will detract from my reputation just because I don't agree with you, but I couldn't care less. It's not like Bored of Studies means anything.
I read 15 pages in class then never touched it again because it was so fucking boring I couldn't bring myself to read it for half an hour. Not that it was hard to understand, I mean I googled Tess plot and learnt the entire story in about 3 mins. Most texts piss easy in school are piss easy mate. Not like they're asking you to read Gravity's Rainbow or A Clockwork Orange.

Why would I detract from your rep? It's shit anyways.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh boy... I got stuck after two pages in A Clockwork Orange. If that was a text at school... =P

Anyways, remember what someone else on here said:

When you do the HSC, you will do your Area of Study - worth 40% of your mark - and you will be getting the same markers who don't know (though they can get very accurate with it), nor care if you do Standard or Advanced.

Notice that English Std. and Adv. scale the same. Meaning, the standard (no pun intended) of classes differ. Same scaling, such different scaled marks. Why? Smart kids choose Advanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)