Is an ATAR of 80+ considered good? (1 Viewer)

Sherlock

HSC
N/A
What are your thoughts on having an ATAR of 80+?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
What are your thoughts on having an ATAR of 80+?
Assuming you're going to go to university (otherwise why would you need an ATAR? lol), as long as 80 ATAR is enough to get into your course, the thoughts and opinions of others don't matter. As long as you're proud and content with your results, that's what matters most. Also, no one cares about your ATAR when you get into uni, it's seriously just a number/rank, and doesn't highlight your individual capacities.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It's good if you get into the degree you want. It's bad if it doesn't.

That being said, some employers request you disclose your ATAR even when you're applying for graduate jobs.

enoilgam

HSC
This pretty much.

That being said, some employers request you disclose your ATAR even when you're applying for graduate jobs.
I've had one or two places ask me for mine - it would be interesting to see how much weight they give it.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

Wow, what grad jobs are we talking here?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Wow, what grad jobs are we talking here?
Pretty evenly spread among places I've applied to (in terms of size of firm, industry etc.).

Could probably count the number of firms on one hand though so it isn't that common anyway.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Overall it is pretty good, but on bored of studies, people look down on you

I cant remember for me exactly, but I've heard that some of the big law firms ask.
but don't worry about this. the Crown Prosecutor of NSW (or former, i cant remember) got a mystery mark but is now practising law. Keep in mind she probably had to jump through many hurdles

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
its bad if you're asian.also depends on your school rank.

but for the average student 80+ is good.

Lina3

HSC
Like everyone else said, as long as it gets you into your course it is good. I got an ATAR in the high 80's and burst into tears (sad tears) even though it was enough to get me into any of the courses I wanted AND I got 5 bonus points. To this day I am ashamed...not of my ATAR, but of the egotistic way I reacted. Yes, it felt shit for that ten seconds when I had to admit it to my school (I topped pretty much all of my subjects and they expected me to do better) but in the end...it really didn't matter because I was into the course I wanted. So in the end...any ATAR is good as long as it gets you into your course. Yes, you may not get to brag to others about how extremely amazing you did (without appearing delusional), but at the end of the day that will have zero impact on your future.

Also, while some employers MAY ask your ATAR, surely the recent report of your university results are given more consideration than a single ranking number you got 4-5 years ago. I cannot see any employer hiring someone with a 99.9 ATAR but with a pass average over someone with a 75 ATAR but a distinction average.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I would say that if the person who attained such an ATAR has tried their very best and have absolutely no regrets over their effort, than 80+ ATAR, regardless of whether it enables the person to get into the university course they want directly, is a good ATAR and represents the person's BEST EFFORT. I think at the end of the day, putting your all into the HSC is the most important thing, if one is determined enough, one can get into any course with enough time and effort.

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
It's a fantastic ATAR if you want it to be. If you think that you put in the best effort into your HSC, then the score is great. If it gets you into your course, even better. But if you know that you could've done better, and if that's the first thing you think of when you get your results... then maybe not so much.

An ATAR can mean uni and jobs and all that, but there's always another way to get to those goals (granted they're much harder without a strong ATAR), but if it doesn't satisfy YOU then it'll be for nothing. Be proud of your results, bc at the end of the day... it's JUST A MARK

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Like everyone else said, as long as it gets you into your course it is good. I got an ATAR in the high 80's and burst into tears (sad tears) even though it was enough to get me into any of the courses I wanted AND I got 5 bonus points. To this day I am ashamed...not of my ATAR, but of the egotistic way I reacted. Yes, it felt shit for that ten seconds when I had to admit it to my school (I topped pretty much all of my subjects and they expected me to do better) but in the end...it really didn't matter because I was into the course I wanted. So in the end...any ATAR is good as long as it gets you into your course. Yes, you may not get to brag to others about how extremely amazing you did (without appearing delusional), but at the end of the day that will have zero impact on your future.

Also, while some employers MAY ask your ATAR, surely the recent report of your university results are given more consideration than a single ranking number you got 4-5 years ago. I cannot see any employer hiring someone with a 99.9 ATAR but with a pass average over someone with a 75 ATAR but a distinction average.
This is true.

I assume that if you got a low ATAR but a high WAM/GPA, they would interpret that as being able to recognise issues and challenge yourself to solve them.

There's nothing worse than looking like you've gone backwards.

williamdaft

HSC
An ATAR of whatever is good as long as you put your maximum effort into it and you get into the course you want!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If it gets you into the course you want to do its good :)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Just aim high and whatever you get be happy with it. My goal was 85+ but to be honest I didn't work very hard...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lina3

HSC
Mind you, most regulars on BoS consider 95+ to be good.
Yeah that's BoS. We all know that it is not an accurate representation of the mark distribution across the whole state...much less is the general opinion on here indicative of the attitudes that the people across the state have. I've come across people who are thrilled with an ATAR in the 60's and people that wept over 95...so in terms of the who state, what constitutes a 'good' ATAR is really subjective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)