Is anyone scared ? (1 Viewer)

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
The HSC are just around the corner....I am fuckin scared...

Any tips on studying the HSC ?

I am a distance education student...so I have to teacher to explain me anything..

Dose anyone know any method of studying for the HSC...like..the PROPER WAY...

My aim is to get at least more than 65...about 75 is impossible for me to do...

Please Help...

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I know this sounds dumb, but don't dramatise the HSC. Being stressed about it won't help you, just take it one day at a time :)

Tips wise, there's a lot of different techniques that are suited towards certain people, etc. one of the best ways is to make notes based on the syllabus, because that's the only thing you can technically be tested on.

Research extra info on google, using the resources here and even contacting alumni of each subject are good ways to get information. There is no "proper" way of studying for the HSC, it's whatever works for you.

Also what subjects do you do? It will make giving advice for studying much more directed.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi zohair97, you sound very stressed, to alleviate your stress, first of all, stop panicking, I have complied a senior study guide-the link is below which includes specific study tips on HSC subjects such as English, Maths and Science subjects, as well as excelling in social science subjects that Examine has kindly contributed as well as general study tips. Read through the study guide and it will give you a better idea of some of the possible strategies of studying for the HSC. http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html

Remember, there really isn't a 'proper' way to study-you need to find a personalised method of studying that works for you. Make sure you are putting consistent effort throughout the year, always have a persistent positive attitude and remember that being passionate about the subjects you are studying and establishing a source of intrinsic motivation are all strategies for improvement of results. Best wishes for this year-may you achieve all your goals:) Hope this helps

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

I am a distance education student...so I have to teacher to explain me anything..

Please Help...
Hello,

My first advice is that fear inhibits our best possible performance! It's normally to feel stress sometimes in life, but you have to recognise it and alleviate it and not let it burn away at you.

Doing subjects through distance ed is hard, but I have a friend that received ~80 whilst training as a full time ballerina and had to sit some of her exams overseas while dancing in Germany. It's all about what you put in :)

Your subjects have pretty good scaling (esp the maths 3U), so to get the aggregate for 65+ you don't need a high percentile in the sub. Have you had a look at ATAR calculators to give you a feel of what you are aiming for and what percentiles these normally are?

And the proper way is different for everyone and approaches can differ between subjects.

-Are you an aural learner? Do you remember things by listening?
Make recordings of your notes and listen to them. Use onomatopoeia to remember concepts. Use mneumonics. Practice explaining things outloud.

-Are you a visual learner?
Colour code everything by highlighting. Make posters. Use colour coded diagrams. Draw lots of diagrams, mind maps, circle charts etc.

-Are you a kinaesthetic learner?
Use actions to help reinforce/recall knowledge. Build models etc. Do lots of examples. Use analogies frequently.

-Remember by reading?
Read a wide variety of notes, make your own summaries etc.

Hopp

HSC
Yeah I agree with the above, don't over dramatize the HSC. Although it is a significant point on your life, you should still treat it with comfort and acceptability. Everybody has different study techniques which work themselves, I suggest following the syllabus for note-writing, and use textbooks, exercises and past exam papers for revision and testing. At least that's the way I study, try and find what works best for you.

Also, your subjects look to scale fine and if you are coping with them alright, then a 75+ ATAR is definitely not out of reach by any means.

hecticated

HSC
The more you stress, the worse it is for you. Please don't scare yourself.
The best feeling is when you walk into the exam feeling calm and relaxed, that's when you will get your best results.
I recommend trying your best to write notes every week or every fortnight. I try doing this, and I obviously don't manage this every week but try your best and don't freak out if you don't.

From your subjects, I reckon you can get above 75 with hard work :).
Good Luck!

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks Guys...
Its just that, in the past we kept on hearing about the HSC from our siblings and other peop;e...and you get that sudden of an idea that now you are now gonna go through the same thing...

and also its just that the HSC results...the ATAR, is the thing which will tell you on your future, it will direct you on what degree you gonna go in and the field of job ....you what I mean ??

From now I will start try to not stress out most of the time..you know..keep calm..

I will take all yours suggest in mind of studying especially.."hecticated" which she recommend to write notes every week or fortnight..that's a good idea..

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks Guys...
Its just that, in the past we kept on hearing about the HSC from our siblings and other peop;e...and you get that sudden of an idea that now you are now gonna go through the same thing...

and also its just that the HSC results...the ATAR, is the thing which will tell you on your future, it will direct you on what degree you gonna go in and the field of job ....you what I mean ??

From now I will start try to not stress out most of the time..you know..keep calm..

I will take all yours suggest in mind of studying especially.."hecticated" which she recommend to write notes every week or fortnight..that's a good idea..
Although the HSC results and ATAR may seem to be really important, just keep in mind there are always other possible options that can take you where you want to be, and that it doesn't exactly decide on your career path for the rest of your life. Life doesn't end after the HSC, if anything it is just the start, this year you will be tested to your limits and you will actually come to better understanding about yourself. It really is the most stressful yet exciting year of high school-embrace the academic challenges, treasure your friendships, interact with teachers, participate in extra-curricular and may you come to define your own results without any regrets at the end of the year:)

hayabusaboston

HSC

Please Help...
You is sound of english good, better be you will in the time passing.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry for the bad english..when I type I intent to miss some words out

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks Guys...

Ehhh not necessarily.

See my sister and brother had an ATAR difference of 37.

They both ended up in jobs they love, and being relatively successful in their respective fields.

The ATAR is not the be all to end all. It isn't the determinant of your future cause if you want to do great things you have to push even more post school to reach all your goals :)

hayabusaboston

HSC
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Don't be rude. Even if you had impeccable posting, it'd be mean :(
!!

What are you doing?

Do you not see what I did? this is not RUDE whatsoever!?!?! what use is there of encouraging people to embarrass themselves in future by NOT POINTING OUT where they are going wrong? I encouraged zohair to notice his writing is GOOD however still some mistakes, and this will encourage zohair to get even better at writing!

LHS, in european culture, if you make a mistake in something, people dont whisper "poor guy, better not saying anything cos we'll offend him" or "It'll be rude, stay quiet".

Polish people especially are known to say "Mate, do you know what you just did? Thats not the right way to do it. You look silly doing that, but here I'll show you how to do it better" and we teach people our skills in which we are more proficient than them in. It would be a great world if people werent afraid to acknowledge other people's incompetencies and embrace the fact that they can be taught to become better.

How else do u think its all the friggin asians topping english in HSC? lol

because the asian parents tell them "YOU ARE IDIOT, CANT YOU SEE THOSE WHITE KIDS GETTING AHEAD OF YOU>?? LOOK AT YOUR SHITTY PERFORMANCE, YOU WILL PRACTICE 5 HRS A NIGHT UNTIL YOU ARE BETTER"

Acknowledging flaws is the first step towards mastery.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
!!

What are you doing?

Do you not see what I did? This is not RUDE whatsoever!?!?! What use is there of encouraging people to embarrass themselves in future by NOT POINTING OUT where they are going wrong? I encouraged zohair to notice his writing is GOOD however there are still some mistakes, and this will encourage zohair to get even better at writing!

LHS, in European culture, if you make a mistake in something, people don't whisper "Poor guy, better not saying anything cos we'll offend him" or "It'll be rude, stay quiet".

Polish people especially are known to say "Mate, do you know what you just did? That's not the right way to do it. You look silly doing that, but here I'll show you how to do it better" and we teach people our skills in which we are more proficient than them in. It would be a great world if people weren't afraid to acknowledge other people's incompetencies and embrace the fact that they can be taught to become better.

How else do u think it's all the friggin asians topping english in HSC? lol

because (you shouldn't start sentences with conjunctions...) the asian parents tell them "YOU ARE IDIOT, CAN'T YOU SEE THOSE WHITE KIDS GETTING AHEAD OF YOU>?? LOOK AT YOUR SHITTY PERFORMANCE, YOU WILL PRACTICE 5 HRS A NIGHT UNTIL YOU ARE BETTER".

Acknowledging flaws is the first step towards mastery.
Firstly, I had a quick skim (see the red/the underline is a stand in for strikeout cause I don't have track changes). Maybe now you'll understand the thing about people in glass houses not throwing stones now? I left the netspeak alone as well such as 'u'.

The things in purple were just vomit worthy. The first thing is hypocritical because I have combed your English work before and it was riddled with errors. And this post is just a mild example of how you make many punctuation errors frequently. The second part is just racist as hell, well done perpetuating ignorance.

And the last part is massive because of the irony. Look I can't think of a BoSer that has had a completely typo free post history. You are seriously throwing stones from a glass house though because of your track record. It comes across terribly no matter how good one's own writing is.

OP was expressing anxiety and stress and you think the appropriate route was to chastise his writing? For shame.

Also, I do have European heritage myself...

williamdaft

HSC
don't be scared buddy.

eat healthy, sleep well, exercise, go out, drink plenty of water, study, have breaks for every 1 hr of study. balance your lifestyle.

enjoy your school life.

hsc is overrated lol.. there's so many pathways after it even if you don't make it into your desired course.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Thanks Guys...

It's not that important. Within 4 days of getting my ATAR, I didn't give a fuck about it, or anything to do with the HSC. I was actually surprised at how quickly I forgot about, and I didn't even get the ATAR I wanted. After you finish year 12, you'll realise that ATAR really isn't important in the grand scheme of things. While it does make it easier for you to get into what you want to do, it certainly isn't the be all and end all.

williamdaft

HSC
It's not that important. Within 4 days of getting my ATAR, I didn't give a fuck about it, or anything to do with the HSC. I was actually surprised at how quickly I forgot about, and I didn't even get the ATAR I wanted. After you finish year 12, you'll realise that ATAR really isn't important in the grand scheme of things. While it does make it easier for you to get into what you want to do, it certainly isn't the be all and end all.
Exactly!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)