Is anyone scared ? (2 Viewers)

hayabusaboston

HSC
What did you get anyway ?
Me? I got 94.55 ATAR with an 84 in english advanced, and I did no essay writing/story writing practice whatsoever throughout the year :haha:

LHS, im sorry to say but you've severely embarrassed yourself in your post. Not only did you clearly not get the message I was conveying, you could not think of a legitimately constructive response and thus felt the need to point out my typos which it should be glaringly obvious in my case as in everyone elses, typos on the internet are done in a casual manner and for the sake of speeding up text composition.

-_-

I dont think you understand that what you are saying about glass houses actually has no relevance and is literally only there as an attempt to prick me with a needle and laugh at superficial errors lol.

Its like

well im not sure you'll be able to understand this analogy haha

but its like me laughing at you because your hair is wet. Not very smart is it? :/

Racist as hell? You should really stop before YOU get vomit worthy. A comment such as that is just so unbelievably stupid and australian like to make that I really have no idea how to help you.

So, lets say, a man was MURDERED and cctv footage shows it was a black man who did it. You are literally saying its racist pointing out the facts/truth, you are saying its racist to say a black man murdered the white man.

:/

You should probably start thinking before you critique people's posts with something so superficial and obviously irrelevant like someone having wet hair... like, wet hair doesnt affect your ability to compose english text you know...

and your european heritage certainly didn't show in this post. You made it glaringly obvious that you are an australian bred girl.

and afaik you don't have Little, Brown and Company (Twilight series publishers) calling you asking you when your novel manuscript will be complete, so.....

Last edited:

williamdaft

HSC
What did you get anyway ?
90+ ATAR without that much effort really..

I balanced my study with a lot of exercise (few hrs each day).. maybe a bit too much. I also procrastinated a lot on internet and stuff which made me get 3 hrs sleep on some days. I try to learn from my experiences so I can better balance my studies for uni lol

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
OP, are you looking for any subject specific advice on ideas for study? I would love to help out :)

Me? I got 94.55 ATAR with an 84 in english advanced, and I did no essay writing/story writing practice whatsoever throughout the year :haha:

LHS, im sorry to say but you've severely embarrassed yourself in your post. Not only did you clearly not get the message I was conveying, you could not think of a legitimately constructive response and thus felt the need to point out my typos which it should be glaringly obvious in my case as in everyone elses, typos on the internet are done in a casual manner and for the sake of speeding up text composition.

-_-

I dont think you understand that what you are saying about glass houses actually has no relevance and is literally only there as an attempt to prick me with a needle and laugh at superficial errors lol.

Its like

well im not sure you'll be able to understand this analogy haha

but its like me laughing at you because your hair is wet. Not very smart is it? :/

Racist as hell? You should really stop before YOU get vomit worthy. A comment such as that is just so unbelievably stupid and australian like to make that I really have no idea how to help you.

So, lets say, a man was MURDERED and cctv footage shows it was a black man who did it. You are literally saying its racist pointing out the facts/truth, you are saying its racist to say a black man murdered the white man.

:/

You should probably start thinking before you critique people's posts with something so superficial and obviously irrelevant like someone having wet hair... like, wet hair doesnt affect your ability to compose english text you know...

and your european heritage certainly didn't show in this post. You made it glaringly obvious that you are an australian bred girl.

and afaik you don't have Little, Brown and Company (Twilight series publishers) calling you asking you when your novel manuscript will be complete, so.....
I can assure you I'm the one that has embarrassed themselves. Trying to use your marks as some kind of leverage to be mean is stupid, it wouldn't even be acceptable if you had .95 and 98 in Adv English...

Also, why didn't you give the OP the same benefit of the doubt then? You want leverage to continuously write "its" instead of "it's" when the OP's missed a word. Hypocrisy.

Arrr and all the references to me being a certain way because of nationality, tops stereotyping. Please do continue to leave these gems littering the site. Maybe one day what you actually say you are (or conversely are not in this instance RE: racism) will be demonstrated with actions, and not hilariously negated by your posts.

Lol and the company that published Twilight is definitely an up there literary venture. I do so hope your copy editor has fun combing through your manuscript.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Some Advice on Physics and Biology.... should I rely on the dot point or composed my own notes...and for math, some people say that if you want to excel this subject all you have to do is to keep doing questions...is this right ?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Some Advice on Physics and Biology.... should I rely on the dot point or composed my own notes...and for math, some people say that if you want to excel this subject all you have to do is to keep doing questions...is this right ?
I am not sure whether you did read through the senior study guide I have complied, but just in case you haven't below is an extract from my guide which will specifically give you guidance on these two subjects. I think you need to use the dot points as your sub-headings for your notes, and for maths, you MUST UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT before practising questions with INCREASING DIFFICULTIES and getting them right. There's no point in doing questions without understanding the theory that underlines these questions.

My top 3 tips for preparing for excelling in science subjects (e.g. Chemistry, Biology, Physics etc)which includes the main types of assessments you will encounter in your senior school science courses.

1)PRACTICAL ASSESSMENTS:
Make sure you know reliability, validity, accuracy, sources of error, possible areas for improvement, independent/dependent/controlled variables, risk assessment for all the experiments you have done in class, make sure you can master basic science skills such as drawing line of best fit, drawing experimental set up accurately, using numbered points in writing a logical procedure, understand the requirements of the exam(I.e. how much time, how many parts) and allocate your time accordingly, make sure you understand the chemical principle/theory behind why you did each experiment

2)THEORY ASSESSMENT AND EXAMS:
Make sure you PERSONALLY write a set of summarised notes according to each dot point of the syllabus in a concise but detailed manner-make sure you include appropriate diagrams as well, after you wrote the notes, make sure to start practising questions and CHECKING YOUR ANSWERS in textbooks-i.e. Roland Smith's Conquering Chemistry has an exam question section which is quite good, ask your teacher for practice questions and make links between dotpoints and across modules to reinforce your understanding. Throughout the year, you should be progressively cutting down your notes as you store more things into your long term memory-revise regularly. Before your final trial exam-you should try to get your hands on as many preliminary exams as possible to practice-and look at the marking guidelines, remember to practice under EXAM CONDITIONS. Make sure when you make notes you are at least referring to 3 different sources to synthesise your information. (colour-code and use mind-maps to make your notes engaging and easy to remember). In your notes, don't neglect to include all your experiments and second-hand investigations.

3)OTHER:
For other types of assessments such as group presentations, individual research assignments, second-hand investigations-you should strive to always include a comprehensive bibliography that indicates you have sourced your information not only from websites, but from journals/books as well, you should understand how to evaluate accuracy/reliability/validity in relation to the sources of information you are using, like other types of assessment, pay close attention to the marking criteria and make sure you fulfil it as much as possible, make sure your information is comprehensive, non-repetitive and answers the verb of the question: i.e. discuss, evaluate, compare, contrast, assess, examine (so for that matter, memorise what the main verbs used in your exam questions means).

Essentially, to succeed in the science subjects(Biology, Chemistry, Physics etc), you need to understand, constantly apply your understanding through practising questions and adopting feedback from your assessments to do better in year 12-with repetition and consistent application you will achieve your desired marks.

The only way you can study for maths is essentially to understand mathematical concepts, apply your understanding by practice questions of increasing difficulty, and checking your answers and working out with those provided by the textbook or with your teacher/tutor. Before each maths exam, I would also do a summary of all the formulas that I would need and all the tips and tricks for each topic and revise over that before the exam.

One very important tip is to avoid exposing yourself to new, difficult questions the day before the exam-you would often be panicked and this would worsen your exam performance because you are not entering the exam with a calm, clear mind.

Well, I had a habit to try to do my maths homework before it was set-so that I had more time for other subjects like English.I would write out the question, write my working out, and ticked or crossed my own work by marking my answers with those of the textbook. And if I got a question wrong, I would re-do it several times until I get it right or I could ask my teacher. When I understood the mathematical concepts, I would then do practice trial papers to consolidate my knowledge.

One last important tip I can give you is that you need to ask questions the minute you don't understand something-don't leave any maths lessons without understanding everything about the maths concept conveyed-because maths is a sort of accumulative subject where if you don't understand something and don't clarify it, it can have a snowball effect. I have a habit of writing tips on the silly mistakes I've made or tips to do a certain type of question alongside questions I got wrong and I re-do these questions before the exam and remind myself to avoid making these mistakes.

MATHS is a subject that needs to be practiced on a daily basis, you cannot get away with studying it the day before the actual exam. You need to understand the approach to achieve a solution to the problems, not just knowing how to answer a problem, but knowing the different types of problems you can encounter in any topic and the variation in the solution method to achieve them. Essentially, practice, practice, practice is the key to succeed in Maths.

Hope this helps a bit, best wishes for your studies this year:)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay I didn't do physics, but I'll go with bio and maths.

For Biology, I found reading widely of sources and other summaries' helped me to create personalised great notes that were a mix of things I wrote and what I found. Biology is very much, if you know the dot points you are set. Applying that knowledge to exam questions...main thing you need to know are the difference between the verbs. If you nail the things you need for the Assess (which is normally a 7-8 pointer so a big discriminant on the exam paper), it'll help to a good score :) You must know Examine/Discuss etc. To understand fully, analogies, diagrams, colours can help in retaining biology information.

For maths, people will often say practice and past papers are the way. I agree with this sentiment a lot, but personally what helped for me a lot was having a colour coded method book with example questions broken down with memory tricks and formulas colour coded for my memory. THis made me evaluate deeply at the end of topics, find any tricks/shortcuts and see that I truly understood. But other than that, I did a stackkkk of past schools trial papers and all the HSC papers. For when you are learning the topic, make sure to challenge yourself with the harder type questions in textbooks and such.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)