is canberra really a hole? and boring? (1 Viewer)

mack

Banned
HSC
You'll be 18 when you come to uni anyway Cherry, so not to worry.....

At the risk of getting flamed, most aussie beer sucks. Imported is the way to go!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
mack said:
You'll be 18 when you come to uni anyway Cherry, so not to worry.....

At the risk of getting flamed, most aussie beer sucks. Imported is the way to go!
Obviously you have no idea what to buy. Try some James Squire Amber Ale or some James Squire Porter (if stouts/porter are more your bag).

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Canberra is not a hole.... my town has a population of 50,000 and you can still have fun here. Canberra is much much much bigger than where I live!!!!! It won't be as crazy and vibrant as Sydney, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I know people that go to ANU and they love it and have a great time living in Canberra.

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
in typical johns fashion (although i'm still yet to go there)...

MOOSEHEADS :p

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
nice work Anna.

Well... I was unfortunate enough to experience Bruce's sponsor pub... so if its anything like that...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:
Canberra is not a hole.... my town has a population of 50,000 and you can still have fun here. Canberra is much much much bigger than where I live!!!!! It won't be as crazy and vibrant as Sydney, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I know people that go to ANU and they love it and have a great time living in Canberra.
Yeah but our population doesn't count because Albury is where all the Wodongians come to have fun as well improving our night life.

In any case it isn't a hole, there are plenty of people there and if you think 350 000 is a hole well you are a sheltered little person who hasn't ever stepped outside of Sydney.

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Xayma said:
if you think 350 000 is a hole well you are a sheltered little person who hasn't ever stepped outside of Sydney.
i used to be like that, but now i'm "reformed"!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Can someone say something shamelessly anti-Wollongong and pro-ANU? My mind is wandering and I need a fix.

Ribbon

neo_o said:
Please don't imply that sex isn't worthwhile, it just makes you loose cred. :p Canberra has a decent metal scene though, I'll be going down for MFTB at the university of canberra in jan :)

Actually, I check their site, it's 5th of Feb this year, looks like I'll be around by then anyway. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The ANU uni bar has mad metal nights on all the time. Whoever said the drinks are cheap - they are no cheaper than anywhere else in town, around $5-6 for a can or $4.50-5 for one of those tiny little plastic cups.

There are a few other places in canberra that have decent stuff on (my definition of decent is not dance, techno or jazz :/ ). Church bar is a shitty little venue but they have decent local acts on there, the ground floor in belconnen has punk v hardcore nights with local bands and the holy grail sometimes gets big names like 28 days.

Mostly i don't go out much because i live in the burbs and it costs me $30 to catch a taxi home, but when you do want to go out there is usually something to suit everybody.

And for all those whingers - I used to live in a town with a pop of 5000 - I don't think Canberra is a hole but I do think it shits all over sydney esp. for public transport, roads, licensing, atmosphere, public areas ect.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I think some people here need to remember that going from a town of 5 - 50 thousand is different to moving from a city of 4 million people to a city of 400 thousand people.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yes but there isn't that much of a change between 4 million and 400 000. Especially in Australia. As Sydney is relatively sparse there isn't much difference apart from possibility of more events being staged in Sydney. It's amount of shops, bars etc will probably be the same as you frequent in Sydney (as you don't want to travel too far to go clubbing).

It would be different if Sydney was denser like Tokyo or Manhattan but as it is sparse there isnt that big of a difference.

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
well put.

but, I do believe Canberra, being paranoid about pollution, has tried to be as spacious as possible.
When you arrive, you can assess whether this is good or not ;)

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
the bums in Garema place asking for 40c when they have a cigerette hanging out of their mouth!

One asked me for 40c for a bus fare one time, then half an hour, not recognising me, asking for $1 for a phone call.

1800 REVERSE.

As for the lunatics in their cars. I see the Barry Drive speed trap go off every time I walk past. Hopefully they'll lose their licenses soon enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)