• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is cutting courses bad for Australian universities? (2 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I just thought i'd propose the question of "is cutting courses bad for Australian universities?

The way i see it is, there are alot of 'cappucino' courses, or courses that basically teach the SAME thing as another course. Should we get rid of theses? in my opinion yes.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It depends, a lot of courses that you've described just draw on subjects from other course's subject pools, so I don't see them having much of an effect on anyone, but if there are subjects which are ridiculously similar and there's no reason to have two of them, then sure cut them down.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Learning for the sake of learning must count for little in your world, Not-That-Bright.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Generator, my only problem is spending resources to teach students about some ridiculous topic, when those resources could be spent more wisely.
If i were to take the approach you're implying then why not teach ANYTHING we want?!

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Generator, my only problem is spending resources to teach students about some ridiculous topic, when those resources could be spent more wisely.
If i were to take the approach you're implying then why not teach ANYTHING we want?!
More wisely? How?
Why not teach anything that the students may find stimulating and of possible use if it in someway fits within the current institutional framework?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The problem is, often the students don't find these courses stimulating, only very few do. It's merely the whim of the teachers in charge at the uni's because THEY want to teach it.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
The problem is, often the students don't find these courses stimulating, only very few do. It's merely the whim of the teachers in charge at the uni's because THEY want to teach it.
Units tend to be taught because there is an academic discourse that encourages it and if the relevant lecturer is present within the institution. It isn't just 'the whim' of those in charge.

If the student does not find the particular topic/course/degree interesting, then why are they there? Wouldn't a student without any interest in a particular course be more of a waste than a 'cappuccino' course?

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
There are a number of redundant courses out there, so it's fair to say that cutting those courses (or consolidating them) would be fair. But cutting courses that are in demand and aren't in abundance, well .. that's not very smart.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think a university should primarily be about providing the population with knowledgable people perfect for employment.
"Learning for the sake of learning" :rolleyes:
If you want to learn, you'd do it much cheaper. You'd go to the library, you'd take up some short tafe courses, you'd utilise the internet.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I think a university should primarily be about providing the population with knowledgable people perfect for employment.
If you want to learn, you'd do it much cheaper. You'd go to the library, you'd take up some short tafe courses, you'd utilise the internet.
If you want a job go to TAFE or get an apprenticeship. If you want to learn, go to uni. Perhaps these people learning for the sake of learning wish to contribute something back to the academic community in the form of a thesis or whatever, and it'd be pretty hard to get it well recognised if you don't even have a bachelor's degree.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
But then that begs the question .. is cutting courses bad for TAFE?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Tell me, how exactly would I get into law from tafe?

I understand that it's important to be learning, and that is a part of university, however I refuse to believe that there are many people going to university simply to 'enhance their knowledge'.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Tell me, how exactly would I get into law from tafe?

I understand that it's important to be learning, and that is a part of university, however I refuse to believe that there are many people going to university simply to 'enhance their knowledge'.
Well to be honest there wouldn't be many, but I am spending an extra year there to complete my BSc for that reason.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
what about the holistic experience of university?

i think you've got it the wrong way round, if you want people perfect for employment they should go to tafe
and go to uni for education

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think this tenent can be extended to actual universities, perhaps like that one in Sydney's west.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I see just one problem:

A lot of uni courses are really just "plans" - a pre-selected mix of pre-existing units slapped under a new degree name.

This serves to cause confusion for students choosing their degree, and since they are plans, nothing would be lost if they were cut.

An outline of possible plans and paths in the base degrees would be a far better solution.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Well they're cutting my course cause it's 'not prestigious enough'. Wish they'd just say it's not making them any money. Fucking cockheads.
NTB so how about we cut Art courses? They seem the most irrelevant of the university courses yet they decide to cut Nursing instead. What a fucking joke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)