Is Doing 5 Subs A Sem (Overloading) Very Taxing in B. Com? (1 Viewer)

sHoCkWaVe

HSC
Hello. I am looking at the option of overloading for 2 sems to try and graduate at the same time with the undergrads of my year, since I need to do additional subjects due to being a transfer student.

I was wondering how taxing is it to overload? Especially in a USYD B. Com degree, majoring in Accounting and Finance? Anybody overloaded before or whom are overloading right now, care to share your experiences on this matter? Should I do it?

Thanks!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
right...

hard work owns smartness... if u are hard working, u dont' ahve to be smart to pass the subjects...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The fact that he converted it to foblish makes it even worse.

pete_mate

HSC
wikiwiki said:
But you won't learn anything. People with that kind of attitude don't belong at Usyd.

I hate how people always ask "what are you studying?" instead of "what are you learning?". It is evidence of a horrible systemic failing in our tertiary educational system.

People who lack merit but have great discipline are able to "earn" degrees but are unable to apply anything from their studies into real life because they never really comprehended the subject in the first place. In the real world you won't have time to study things extensively before you make a decision or perform your job. What will you do then?

Shame on you, Xiao1985.
this is why an honours degree is really good

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
@wikiwiki: i believe we have a mis understanding here...

as harsh as it might seem, what you learn in university has very little bearing in what you will face in reality... whatever you are taught in uni (with few generic exceptions such as team work skills, report writing skills, communication skills etc) are not what you will be "examined" in the society... sadly those "less used" knowledge is what is being tested... so passing university has really no merit to it what so ever....

sorry if it had been perceived otherwise.

and i think you should agree with me that there are people who are intelligient but fail to work hard (ie do tutorial q, revise etc) and hence fail to acheive a good result... and to me that's a failure in its own... if one cannot learn to even show commitment in university, what guarentees one will do so later in life?

and i agree on your notion on the learning rather than studying... i believe i am a victim of such, as i very much believed i LEARNT what is taught in macroeconomics last semester, but my marks didn't show i was STUDYING it...

and may i ask, by critising my notion that smartness is inferior to hard working, are you suggesting that intelligience will determine how well u can apply what you've learnt in different contexts? and that one needs only smartness and not hardworking attitude?

as for your last comment, right back at you...

sHoCkWaVe

HSC
Dudes, thanks for your opinions of this so far, but I really need to know soon. Are there any B. Com students here that has overloaded before? Can you give me the lowdown on the experience and whether it's survivable or not?

I've gotten my timetable with 5 subs a sem, and the total uni hours that I have is 16 hours a week. Is that too much?

So, should I overload or not???

sHoCkWaVe

HSC
You are allowed to do so, provided you maintained a Credit average in your previous semester, and you have a good reason for wanting to do so. You can overload 1 additional sub a sem.

Cicciolina

HSC
I was under the impression that you can overload with 30 cps without having to fill out any forms, etc. However any more than that, then you need to have permission from the faculty. I did 5 subjects last semester without going through anyone... and I'm doing the same this semester.

pete_mate

HSC
hmm, im thinking of doing a subject outside of the commerce faculty for fun

if i was to not take it seriously and fail it, does that ruin my gpa?

or would they only look at commerce subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)