Is English Extension 1 Hard? (1 Viewer)

jadenmaccas

HSC
Hey! I am at the last 3 weeks of the subject selection process. I'm just wondering whether I should take english extension in addition to english advanced. I am currently ranked 8th in English in the grade, and the Head of English told me I'm definitely invited in the course. But I've heard that the work is painstakingly difficult!

So here are my questions in order:

1. Is english extension 1 (preliminary) exceeding difficult? :evilfire:
2. What is being covered in this 1 unit extension course?
3. How and what should I do now to prepare for next year?

Thanks BOSERS! :D

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
1. No. It's easier than Advanced, actually.
2. Depends on what topic is chosen.
3. Nothing. You don't even know what module your school is doing.

If you end up doing it, do Textual Dynamics. Seriously. It's fun.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Is english extension 1 (preliminary) exceeding difficult?
Nope, pretty easy actually
Depends on the school, I've done Romanticism, Creative Writing, studying the society in Tess D'Urbervilles and now doing work on the play "The Importance of Being Earnest".
You don't need to do anything lol.

Btw OP, what other subjects have you picked? :)

ital101

HSC
Hey! I am at the last 3 weeks of the subject selection process. I'm just wondering whether I should take english extension in addition to english advanced. I am currently ranked 8th in English in the grade, and the Head of English told me I'm definitely invited in the course. But I've heard that the work is painstakingly difficult!

So here are my questions in order:

1. Is english extension 1 (preliminary) exceeding difficult? :evilfire:

Thanks BOSERS! :D
1. Fuck no. For me, English (Extension) was easier than advanced. I found it to be the easiest HSC English course (I did 4 units of death in 2009).
2. You choose a module, then ehm an elective to study within the notion of that module and its associated ideas, I think. You will study 3 prescribed texts per year for extension english alone, so be prepared. If you're not a reader, if you don't enjoy reading or aren't passionate about the English language or English literature, FORGET IT and choose English (Standard) right now. Extension was more conceptually-based in my opinion, although there was a high emphasis on analysis and textual evidence, creative writing was weighted the same as critical studies of text - 25/50 marks for each.
3. You don't have to do anything extra to prepare for year 11 because year 10 and in particular the year 11 foundation programme some schools now have, are designed to prepare you as well as possible. Just do your year 10 homework and ace your School Cert ;)

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I found it way harder than adv. english, so much that I dropped it after year 11. Funny enough people say its harder than ext.2

jadenmaccas

HSC
1. Is english extension 1 (preliminary) exceeding difficult?
Nope, pretty easy actually
Depends on the school, I've done Romanticism, Creative Writing, studying the society in Tess D'Urbervilles and now doing work on the play "The Importance of Being Earnest".
You don't need to do anything lol.

Btw OP, what other subjects have you picked? :)
I'm doing Accelerated Maths Extension 1 Prelim, English Extension 1, Physics, Economics, Studies of Religion 1 (accelerated) and Work Studies (to fill in the last unit)

Quolli

HSC
N/A
1. I'm enjoying it more than Adv, but after I got my exam back, it seems they mark a bit more harshly than in Adv
2. I've been doing the Gothic Genre for both term 1 and term 2 and we're just about finishing up Dracula
3. Not sure since I'm still doing the course

spoonbender

HSC
In year 10 my teachers told me it was easier than advanced as well. But there is a lot of work involved. There's a lot of reading and essays (in addition to the stuff you have to do for advanced) and the texts you study will be more advanced texts. However, since your Head of English invited you, I'm sure you're capable of doing it. And if you have enough units, you could always drop it.

jnney

lemon
HSC
EX1 is definitely much more interesting then Advanced. Don't avoid picking a subject because you hear it's 'difficult' or requires 'too much work'. Do it because you want to.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
It seems like quite a bit of work for 1 unit tbh :L

But if you're dedicated and like english then pick it. I love it way more than advanced.
About the topics you'll be doing ask the teacher who'll be taking it next year.

Zee Zappo

HSC
It really depends on whether you actually enjoy english, reading and analysing...oh and it also weighs a lot on your schools topic.
In preliminary I found it way more enjoyable than advanced, but I dropped it this year in year 12 because I hate Romanticism. I can't stand doing that one whole topic throughout the WHOLE year. My class was of 16 pupils..now its only like 8.
I never cared for the topic so it didn't motivate me to study and hence found out that I was obviously failing in it haha.
But I loved it in year 11, found it easier than advanced because we were doing Utopias and Dystopias. Which btw, is a hell of a mad topic :)
So yeah, ask your teacher for the topics in year 11 & 12 and if you like english..well give it a go. You can always drop it if you're not content with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)