Is it alright to do 10 units ? (1 Viewer)

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
Currently I'm doing 12 units at school. These are the subjects I'm doing:
+Maths Extension 1
+Maths Extension 2
+ESL
+Information Processes Technology
+Design and Technology
+Business Studies

I don't hate business studies but the class is too noisy and the teacher cannot control the class. Everybody is like shouting and chasing each other in class. I couldn't study anything and my first business HSC assignment is coming. I'm thinking of dropping this subject next term.
I heard people say it's better to have a backup subject. I can't decide right now. Any advice?:eek:

Spiritual Bean

The only
HSC
If you can't decide, don't drop it. Dropping a subject is an action without recourse. If you have a shit class, stand out and do your work, teacher will consequently bias mark you, get a first rank and do great in the externals. I understand the subject is dry and generally uninteresting, from my perception anyway, but if you like it, don't drop it because of a noisy class.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
If you're dropping it because of your class, see if you can get transferred. I would only recommend doing 10 units if you can absolutely nail them for the HSC. If your class just sucks, but you like the subject, just suck it up and study by yourself and personally go to your teacher for feedback and stuff.

Best of luck! :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Before you drop your subject of business studies, ask yourself the following three questions:
1)Do you have the self-discipline to study by yourself and is your teacher willing/can help you if you encounter any difficulties?
2)Are you passionate about business studies and therefore willing to put extra time to study hard for it?
3)Can you be absolutely 100% certain you can excel in all your other subjects throughout the year and does business studies in anyway relate remotely to what you might be interested to do in uni?

If your answer to two or more of the above questions is in the negative, then you might consider dropping it-but only after consulting thoroughly with your teachers and in all case, I would wait until you finish your first HSC assignment, get your marks back before you decide the next step, I know too many people who did only 10 units for HSC, only to regret later in the year of having dropped a subject and having no back up, the thing is, in HSC, you will often be expected to self-study and take more responsibility for your own learning, and if you are able to ignore the class theatrics and use class time to self-study and ask extra questions-you will do really well, so please do not make a rushed decision and I wish you all the best for doing brilliantly in your HSC year:)

Last edited:

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
Huh, I sympathise with you about the noisy classes etc... we've got a few that sit up the back in English and stuff up!!

That's not too bad though, we just sit down the front and get the best out of the teacher while the rest of them fall behind - don't ask me why, the mind boggles.

I think you should keep on going and do your best, although this can be quite challenging at times!

iEatOysters

HSC
That's actually why I dropped chem despite getting a decent rank in the subject. If you like the subject, then you should have no issues with studying at it at home. However, if you don't like it that much, then I'd consider dropping it. And a backup subject is somewhat useless if it ends up taking a lot time away from your other subjects...
But definitely don't drop anything until you're sure because there's nothing worse than regretting something like this.

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
I can't really self-study except it's my very favorite subject :mad2:. Also my writing is not as good as other guys in my class as English is not my first language. So I got some disadvantages in this subject :(.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What is your ATAR goal? Is dropping Business in your best interest to achieve your goal? Or should you keep it because it should possibly contribute?

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
My goal is to get 95 ATAR. I'm trying to get an 85 HSC mark for business studies.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Everybody is like shouting and chasing each other in class (sounds like most business studies classes ;) )

I'd keep as it is easy to stuff up in one subject in the HSC , and you can never be sure which subject will count

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
Everybody is like shouting and chasing each other in class (sounds like most business studies classes ;) )
Hey, glad we're not the only school with guys that stuff up like that... but man, surely some people need to grow up?!? Talk about setting a good example for the little kids... it's probably the other way round where I go to!

TheGreatWinston

HSC
Hey, glad we're not the only school with guys that stuff up like that... but man, surely some people need to grow up?!? Talk about setting a good example for the little kids... it's probably the other way round where I go to!
serious??! what kind of school do you go to? you could always change schools?

williamdaft

HSC
I reckon 10 units is a good choice. I personally did 10 units and found I had more time to focus on the 10 rather than 12 or 13. If you are confident with your top 10 units, you should drop your weaker units, and focus time on the 10. Even though people say it's good to get a backup if you stuff up a subject it will stuff up your ATAR, but I preferred to stay confident in my top 10 units, which I did well :) If you can't decide which to drop and you don't mind spending equal time with all your >10 units, keep them, or if you need them for uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)