Is it concerning if one hasn't made many notes? (1 Viewer)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
I realised a while ago I haven't really been making notes. Honestly, I find them to be a waste of time however when it comes to certain sections in topics like Modern, I make notes including arguments and facts and historians. But I do that when i have a test coming up...

I used to regularly keep up with my notes but I found them a waste. I feel I learn better doing practice papers, but I don't know maybe if having notes for my harder topics like modern or legal (I know ext would need notes but i might drop it soon I'll see.) would be of use?

Have any of you had this issue? Should i be concerned? I mean i know we all learn differently but i think even if i did make notes it would be too late? :S

Jay-k-bee1

HSC
I don't think so. As long as you have textbooks and stuff to draw upon for when you're studying and you understand the concepts of your subjects it should be fine i guess

Levity

HSC
Get some notes off some friends. It a good social experiment, be sure to look for shifty facial expressions and the excuses people make to get out of giving you their hard earned notes. Its a interesting exercise to see who your true friends are.

Last edited:

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Lol i'll see about the experiment.

I just wondered because I realised i'm not that worried about it at all, and whether that was normal?

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
Get some notes off some friends. It a good social experiment, be sure to look for shifty facial expressions and the excuses people make to get out of giving you their hard earned notes. Its a interesting exercise to see who your true friends are.
Not sure I agree with this, I know there just notes but at the same time would you say "hey bro I've got no money and you've got heaps give me some brah, otherwise you're a shit friend."...

powlmao

Banned
HSC
to be honest, it really isn't that bad. I don't make alot of note because i prefer to read my textbook, of course i have them but i don;t reakky use them

It depends how you study and cope with work. Me personally i prefer having a textbook.

Ph03nix

HSC
I don't think it is concerning because as you mentioned everyone learns differently. Its just whatever suits you, I know some people who make no notes whatsoever and still do extremely well and also the opposite where people make lots of notes and don't do so well. If you really wanted to make notes, you could probably still have time. And I also use notes a bit differently, really the only reason I write notes, is because it gets me to read the textbook, understand the stuff and then pick out the important stuff, I don't really write them to refer to them after.

Also, on the question about asking for notes/giving out notes. I usually just give my notes to people because I believe when you actually write the notes is when you learn the most not when you just read them.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
I realised a while ago I haven't really been making notes. Honestly, I find them to be a waste of time however when it comes to certain sections in topics like Modern, I make notes including arguments and facts and historians. But I do that when i have a test coming up...

I used to regularly keep up with my notes but I found them a waste. I feel I learn better doing practice papers, but I don't know maybe if having notes for my harder topics like modern or legal (I know ext would need notes but i might drop it soon I'll see.) would be of use?

Have any of you had this issue? Should i be concerned? I mean i know we all learn differently but i think even if i did make notes it would be too late? :S
I say good for you - you have identified that a study method hasnt worked and you have ditched it. As I say study is about finding what works best for you - not all people learn the same way. I reckon it would have been worse if you continued with notes despite the fact that they dont work for you.

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
its up to what works for you. i am generally the opposite of you, i tend to make notes as i go along and do past papers at the end, it has worked for me so far but if your way is working for you then dont change the winning formula

Jay-k-bee1

HSC
LOOL its true! but if you've put in a lot of effort into your notes and someone who slacks off all the times asks for them, it's kind of not fair..
and then its worse if they do better than you D:

Last edited:

Jay-k-bee1

HSC
Not sure I agree with this, I know there just notes but at the same time would you say "hey bro I've got no money and you've got heaps give me some brah, otherwise you're a shit friend."...
lol good point!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you want notes, make them yourself and start now. There's a few months until trials.

yoyoyoshi

HSC
N/A
Personally, I learn best with notes/textbooks. I just do a few notes here and there when the teach says it's important to write it down and maybe a lil extra if I feel it'd be important later on. I simplify it by alot though like... he might say "An increase in profit.. yada yada" Then I'll just draw an up arrow and write profit increased. I'm lazy but meh it's the way I work : P

It's pretty much what's working best for you and keeping at it.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
No it's not at all.

Just because they're your friend doesn't mean you should give them your notes. A true friend would actually not give them the notes which would force them to do something for themselves, otherwise they will be screwed in the real world when they have no one to depend on.

lpower3

HSC
As one of the most content-heavy courses in the hsc, i find it essential to summarise/write notes for modern history. However, if its more effective not using them, go for it!
Practise questions are what i find to be the most crucial when revising/studying for modern

editav

HSC
Uni Grad
Modern history = MAKE ESSAYS ON THE 'LARGE THEMES' basically make every essay you can possibly think of .. our teacher made our class do this and we had over 9+ band 6'es in a class of 30 =)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Just because you don't give your notes out, doesn't mean that you're not a true friend. It's a shallow thing to think in such a way. If you're a true friend, you'd help them even if it could disasvantage you by possibly by giving them resources but you doesn't have to be notes - it can be any sort of help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)