Is it okay to recycle short stories? (1 Viewer)

Telstra Robs

HSC
In year seven, I wrote a good short story for an assignment. In the Year 9 NAPLAN test, I rewrote the story as part of a question.

If I were to recycle some of my past stories in the yearly exam and the School Certificate, could this be considered cheating?

Regards,

Telstra Robs

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
i do that at times. i don't think it's cheating since its your own work. just fix a few things to make it better

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Well it might hinder your marks a bit if you have a pre-developed story that you try to somehow connect to the topic of the question. My English teacher said that markers are trained to detect people who do that ._.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
It's unlikely that you can write a story to a topic if it's recycled as when you manipulate the story to fit in, it usually ends up becoming a muddle with too weak a link with the stimulus. Also, if you are confident you can recycle the story effectively in the context provided, a teacher would surely disapprove if they do recognise the story.

Simply think of something original, it in the vast majority of times, turns out to be better than a prepared idea.

Hope I helped.

breka

HSC
my brothers done it quite a few times and has got top marks but i guess that is just him

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Recycled is fine, so long as it suits the question and you improve it each time so it'll get a good mark.

With that being said, you could probably get an excellent mark with one made up on the spot for the SC :)

breka

HSC
i find it time consuming to think up a plot on the spot and it would probably be a dodgy plot if i made up one on the spot

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
i find it time consuming to think up a plot on the spot and it would probably be a dodgy plot if i made up one on the spot
You'd be surprised how a dodgy plot can get you high marks for eg my SC story :p

Telstra Robs

HSC
Recycled is fine, so long as it suits the question and you improve it each time so it'll get a good mark.

With that being said, you could probably get an excellent mark with one made up on the spot for the SC :)
Of course one can get an excellent mark for one made up on the spot. However, I am not suited to writing small stories and often find that when I think of plots, I go too much into detail. In the case of my NAPLAN test, I was half way through the orientation when I realised I had 5 lines left and 5 minutes left, thus why I adapted my other story.

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Well that IS what the 5-minute planning time is supposed to be used for... >_>

Amogh

HSC
N/A
I recycle stories all the time. Just got to be careful while doing so.
Infact I recommend making a lose framework of a general story beforehand. Improvise the rest.

Telstra Robs

HSC
Well that IS what the 5-minute planning time is supposed to be used for... >_>
In many exams, there will be multiple choice, short answers and the extended response (usually a story). Now, planning time is usually not granted and when so, it is for the entire paper.

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Meh, I guess it depends on how you organise and use your time. When I do an exam like that, I usually flip the pages straight to the back, since I always do the essays/writing parts first, then short answers, before finally doing the multiple choice.
I find this better since in the worst case scenario if I run out of time, I will have all of the writing parts done and can guess the rest of the multiple choice, plus the multiple choice is easier which helps my mind cool down and relax, rather than stressing about a last minute essay which lots of people do.

Due to my way of doing my exams, the reading time that we get before the test is usually spent on planning my essays/short answers ._.

Last edited:

occer

HSC
N/A
I recycle stories all the time. Just got to be careful while doing so.
Infact I recommend making a lose framework of a general story beforehand. Improvise the rest.
General example please.

(Sorry for resurrecting thread but it is SC season).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)