Is it plagiarism to have your character say a quote of a person? (1 Viewer)

fatassmcfat

HSC
This is actually for ext. 1 (after the bomb) so it is basically historical based fiction. My character is not actually the real life person who said the quote (but they both hold same views, live same time period etc), so would that be plagiarism? Or would the markers think 'damn dat intertextual reference and deep research'. Thanks :alone:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
This is actually for ext. 1 (after the bomb) so it is basically historical based fiction. My character is not actually the real life person who said the quote (but they both hold same views, live same time period etc), so would that be plagiarism? Or would the markers think 'damn dat intertextual reference and deep research'. Thanks :alone:
They would think 'damn dat intertextual reference and deep research', I'd say.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In general, I think it would be much better to use the actual historical quote of an individual as a sort of 'framing' device for the story rather than have a fictional character say the exact same quote, I think it would be better if you actually allude to the quote rather than directly paraphrase it as someone else's words...

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Well it wouldn't be plagiarism as you aren't technically stealing/borrowing other peoples idea and passing it of as your own.However, I'd think you'd want to make it fairly obvious to the reader its a historical quote from an actual figure.

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
They would think 'damn dat intertextual reference and deep research', I'd say.
http://i.imgur.com/6ZC55CK.gif

I personally think it's pretty cool if the character says the quote. No danger of it being taken as plagiarism IMO, the context already shows that you are using the material for a discrete purpose rather than just being lazy (and plagiarism is ultimately all about intention and imputation)

simplyinsanity

HSC
Well, it depends. If the quote is very long eg a paragraph, I would not recommend your character quote it. However, if it is short (and obvious who you are quoting + the quoting helps develop your story in some way) then it should be fine.

Note: I did Textual Dynamics and one of my characters quoted from 'Pride and Prejudice.' I used this intertextuality to sort of show how ideas from the past exist in the present and subsequently make fun of those ideas. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)