Is it possable to lose state ranking through losing first place in your internals? (1 Viewer)

p3wner

HSC
Just giving an example:

Say for example if I'm ranked second in my school for chem, then I do the externals and I get a good state rank i.e top 20...lets just say 20 and the first guy gets a lower rank (lower mark), thus 'taking' my marks into his internals, wouldn't this overall lower my marks which would mean I lose out state ranking???

Thank youuu~
+ rep for the best answer =P

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Is it possable to lose state ranking through losing first place in your internals

Yes you will lose your state ranking, because the mark you receive is the average mark, so that means in order to get an overall state rank you need to be first place, unless the guy coming first can somehow get the same or higher mark than u, or even if it's 1 lower, the average will turn out in your favour.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Is it possable to lose state ranking through losing first place in your internals

I can't extrapolate a correlation between the two. The internals occur before the externals, in which the state ranks are assigned. So, answering your question - no. If you came 2nd internally and acquired a state rank, the person above you would definitely be ranked higher in the state than you.

p3wner

HSC

agh im still confused iRuler is saying yes but Omnipotence is saying no ... 0.0 btw i repped both of youse for your answer =P

Amogh

HSC
N/A

I can't extrapolate a correlation between the two.
Mate I don't follow...Since when did Internal ranks not have any influence on the Final External marks?

If you came 2nd internally and acquired a state rank, the person above you would definitely be ranked higher in the state than you.
@OP: Both Omni and iRuler are in agreement - just phrased differently! To my understanding, Yes, coming second in internals may imply loosing a state ranking. Look up the process of calculating external marks for more info!

Although, IMO stop worrying about these technicalities and just STUSTUSTUSUTDY!

powlmao

Banned
HSC

Just giving an example:

Say for example if I'm ranked second in my school for chem, then I do the externals and I get a good state rank i.e top 20...lets just say 20 and the first guy gets a lower rank (lower mark), thus 'taking' my marks into his internals, wouldn't this overall lower my marks which would mean I lose out state ranking???

Thank youuu~
+ rep for the best answer =P
I believe so

Thats how the board of studies fucks us even more over

Aindan

HSC

Yes it is possible.

State rankings are on the basis on the average of the internal and external mark. So if you do well (a top 20 external mark) and you are second, then it depends on how well the person coming 1st does. If he owns it (he also gets top 20 external mark in the state) then you guys will both get state rankings. However, if he doesn't do well, and assuming the people below you don't do brilliantly, you could get a bad school mark, which will bring your average (of your awesome external and your ok internal) to a mark below state ranking standard.

p3wner

HSC

Yes it is possible.

State rankings are on the basis on the average of the internal and external mark. So if you do well (a top 20 external mark) and you are second, then it depends on how well the person coming 1st does. If he owns it (he also gets top 20 external mark in the state) then you guys will both get state rankings. However, if he doesn't do well, and assuming the people below you don't do brilliantly, you could get a bad school mark, which will bring your average (of your awesome external and your ok internal) to a mark below state ranking standard.
Ohhhh ty for the response +rep to everyone as well

riya999

HSC

I'll simply say what I know.
First of all, in terms of the EXTERNAL mark that you obtain, no, no one is going to take your mark or rank
BUT, the internals work this way. Your group of cohort run into the HSC to grab a whole set of ranks, it doesn't matter who got the top rank or who got the last rank, these ranks, from the highest to the lowest are assigned to all of the candidates according to the ranks of the internals.
Your state ranking is determined with BOTH components. Therefore, say that you got ranked 2nd in the internal and 1st in the external and the other person came 1st in the internal and 2nd in the internal, you will pretty much be the same, there will be a subtle difference, and it really depends on how much better you have scored in the externals, comparing to the person who beat you in the internal. In that sense, yes, you can still get 1st.

But in most events, I must say, it's unlikely...people ranked at the top are normally quite consistent and when there is a genius that is so much better than everyone else in the year, (which is the case where this person would get an awesome rank, whereas others can still perform miserably), the presence of such a person would have been widely known in the first place.

But in the case when the competitors are the people are coming 1st and 2nd, and reversing their ranking in the externals, it is pretty much safe to say that they will get pretty much the same mark... (what is the difference between rank 88 in the state and rank 89 in the state anyway)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)