Is it Possible to just memorise essays for HSC eng? (1 Viewer)

Zelta-W

HSC
N/A
In HSC English (Adv), is it possible to get through the exam by memorising essays? And for creative..memories about 5 creatives and mould the stimulus around it.

And maybe you can't memorise stuff for comprehension.

Is there unseen texts where you have to analyse?

And are the timing for each essay 40min?

Thankyouu

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Nope. Board of Studies is making papers specifically designed to weed out kids that have pre-prepared essays.

You can write general scaffolds for essays and may get lucky that way, but you can't memorise the whole thing and it's a waste of your study time.

Here's last year's papers to have a look at the structure:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2009exams/pdf_doc/2009-hsc-exam-eng-SandA-p1.pdf
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2009exams/pdf_doc/2009-hsc-exam-eng-adv-p2.pdf

As far as timing is concerned, you get about 40 minutes per section for each paper but not all are essays.

HSC
Uni Grad
Heh, I got destroyed too and I just memorised points.
Not that it would have made much difference.

But yeh, memorising points is generally the way to go provided you read the question, lol.

NewiJapper

HSC
The AOS essay is pretty good to memorise. The questions are always so general lol

maveric31

HSC
i memorized every essay and my creative writing piece and got 82 which is what i was aiming for.. so it can work :D

anime05

HSC
N/A
of course its possible to just memorise essays for english hsc
i memorised everything and got 95 lol totally unexpected
the way to do this though, is make sure your essays cover EVERYTHING in the rubric and encompass heaps of different points, like make your points really general so that in your paragraphs cover alot of issues

prob useful to have a spare related text (for aos) and extra info on each related and an extra paragraph on a another issue for each of your essays just incase, like our aos, when it asked for only 1 related that screwed over so many people taht memorised 2 relateds coz they didnt have enoguh to talk about that one related

for the creative, you only really need one and you can just mould it around the stimulus (its really easy, just bs an extended metaphor or something like that)

but mod b is prob the hardest to memorise coz they ask for specific issues, especially if you something like hamlet - i heard they got hammered at my school coz they didnt even really study what it asked
mega bl? i guess for mod b it just depends on what text your doing

but i guess its completely up to you and what your teachers say
the teachers at my school didnt explicitly say to memorise, but they hinted at it
i mean like, its prob the easiest way but cant guarantee good marks unless your essays are really good

being able to write 1400 words in 40 mins is always a plus

cocky

HSC
In HSC English (Adv), is it possible to get through the exam by memorising essays? And for creative..memories about 5 creatives and mould the stimulus around it.

Thankyouu
you should try to understand the main ideas and your english should be proficient enough for you to be able to express them without relying on memory

remembering an essay is not hard, once you have come produced it, it tends t stay in your head

your brain memorizes it as you produce it

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Thankyouu
Yes, I memorised. And did well in the HSC.

Nope. Board of Studies is making papers specifically designed to weed out kids that have pre-prepared essays.
Bullshit. Just because it may not work for you, doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone.

You can write general scaffolds for essays and may get lucky that way, but you can't memorise the whole thing and it's a waste of your study time.
Bullshit once again.

As far as timing is concerned, you get about 40 minutes per section for each paper but not all are essays.
This is true.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
This is actually sorta true. The marking criteria judges harshly on prepared essays.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yes, I memorised. And did well in the HSC.
Bullshit. Just because it may not work for you, doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone.
I didn't say it was 100% guaranteed to make you fail, I just meant the Board of Studies is specifically making exam questions that are directed to stop pre-prepared essays from being used. It is more than likely that you actually had a grip on your texts and didn't just make 1 good essay and hope to high heaven it'd work.

Bullshit once again.
Yes, this is true. I meant to write "shouldn't" not "can't". My bad. :)

youandmexo

HSC
i know some people who memorised essays for our HSC last year and they got slaughtered by the questions :) so my advice, no. its such a waste of memory/time anyway.

NewiJapper

HSC
I memorise my essays only because it gives me the confidence in being able to expand properly on points. I know all my key points aswell but memorising my essay just adds a sense of security to my answer :p If I don't memorise fully expanded points I end up making my essay really simple and less elaborate. So I do a mix of both hehe, works for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)