Is it possible to study Materials Science in a Bachelor of Engineering? (1 Viewer)

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to study Materials Science in a Bachelor of Engineering? I looked in the UAC guide, and couldn't find any courses which taught Materials Science, EXCEPT FOR a combined degree with commerce called "B Engineering (materials Science and Engineering)/B Commerce".

I don't see any standalone Courses or Majors which have the name 'Materials Science'. Am I mistaken, making a mistake, or is it impossible to study Materials Science at UNSW without a B Commerce?

HSC
N/A
i went to consult the deputy head of school himself and you may combine materials science with another major from a different faculty like engineering,
however materials science and materials engineering are two different things.

you can study materials science by itself but you must complete a lot of other electives.

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
Sino the closest thing you can get to is a B Engineering (Materials Science and Engineering). You should refer to Survivor's post for more info on that.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2010/3135.html

not sure about the uac handbook though, i dont have a copy of it..

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Thanks for all the help guys.

Am I correct that materials science is taught as a B Engineering, but is administrated from the science faculty?

Also, how would I apply for a B.Eng/BSc adv., with a major in materials science for the B.Eng? I don't see anything in the UAC guide, plus the fact that the guide says that materials science can only be combined with either a masters of biomedical engineering or a bachelor of commerce.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Also, how would I apply for a B.Eng/BSc adv., with a major in materials science for the B.Eng? I don't see anything in the UAC guide, plus the fact that the guide says that materials science can only be combined with either a masters of biomedical engineering or a bachelor of commerce.
It seems you can't combine BE and BAdvSc.

Ostentatious

HSC
Am I correct that materials science is taught as a B Engineering, but is administrated from the science faculty?
I've spoken to uni students doing/finishing this degree or starting their phD and they described it as not belonging to one or the other, but both. They said it just means you can go to events held exclusively for Science and Engineering students, so it's just a bonus and nothing to worry about :)

EDIT: Sorry for the fail post.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
a few eng subjects is coordinated by the sci faculty

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lol 'only abit more than a year' -

meh from my experience of materials science you basically learn alot about the structure of materials and different tyes of materials. you focus on ceramics, metals, polymers and what not.

you also explore random effects of the environment such as corrosion, creep, tensile strength and compressive strength etc.

in terms of job prospects im not too sure, but i have no doubt that i reckon it'll be pretty good as we're always needing stronger material at the lowest cost possible.

Ostentatious

HSC
in terms of job prospects im not too sure, but i have no doubt that i reckon it'll be pretty good as we're always needing stronger material at the lowest cost possible.
Apparently it's huge, but because of the recession there's been less financial support for scholars lately. I really hope that changes sooner than later..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)