Is it the government's role to evacuate people from Lebanon? (2 Viewers)

Is evacuation the role of the Australian government?

• Yes, but they are not doing enough right now.

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Yes, and they are doing enough.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • No.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters

banco55

HSC
The Australian citizen who was serving in the Israeli army who was killed today raises the best argument against dual citizenship. If you want to serve in another country's army surrender your citizenship.

Generator

HSC
N/A
In many cases (if not all) such people don't have much of an option, banco (apart from staying away, of course).

banco55

HSC
Generator said:
In many cases (if not all) such people don't have much of an option, banco (apart from staying away, of course).
If you mean they'd be conscripted if they stepped foot in the country yeah they would be in some countries depending on their laws if they held dual citizenship. But I haven't heard of a country that conscripts citizens who've changed citizenship.

*Minka*

HSC
Enlightened_One said:
There was a debate on Insiders last Sunday about citizenship. As was pointed out being a citizen is more than just having citizenship papers. It seems like a lot of people get Australian papers only for emergencies, but otherwise want nothing to do with the country. As one of the presenters stated, he used to have Dutch citizenship but they revoked it because he did not return there often enough to really be a citizen. Perhaps Australia should consider a similar test.
As someone who has duel citizenship, I can tell you that my reasons for taking out AUstralian citizenship were for far more than emergencies and getting some benfits. I took out Austalian citizenship because I WANTED to be a citizen of the country I become part of. I came from Croatia, but I have really felt that I have become an Australian and have been embraced into the country and accepted as an Aussie. I really love this country and the citizenship ceremony really meant a lot to me (I took it at 16 in 2004) and I felt really happy when I got my Australian passport. It was like I truly belonged in the country that became home. And this is someone who left against her own free will, was initally angry she was moved half way across the world as a kid.

To put my love for this country into prespective: When it came down to Australia and Croatia in one match for a place in the next round of the world cup? I went in green and gold and screamed my heart out for the Aussies and belted out the anthem with pride.

I chose not to relinquish my Croatian citizenship because no matter how Australian, I will always have that background and the 'how the hell is that spelt?' last name to proove it! I kept it because I do have Croatian background, havn't forgotten the place forever and it is good to have, I am Australian-Croatian after all.

Some migrants do it for the wrong reasons, but to some of us, it means a lot. Just had to say that.

Last edited:

buddys

HSC
i travelled to lebanon and left not long before the attacks began. and i have a few points about what other people have posted

I have dual citizenship, and the one thing i was worried about the most was lebanon conscripting me. after speaking to ppl in the lebanese consulate in Aust, i was told that if you have been out of lebaonon for more than 5 years, they can only conscript you if there is a war, BUT since when has there not been war in the middle east...

If you are a dual citizen, once you step foot onto lebanese soil, you are no longer australian in the eyes of the lebanese govt, meaning the Aust Embassy in Lebanon can not help you if you get into trouble.

Also, more on the topic, it was reported that there was 25000 australians in lebanon - icluding dual citizens. Out of these 25000, most of them were dual citizens. Most of these dual citizens have lived in lebanon for longer than they have lived in Aust - most of them considering themselves as lebanese before aust. Why now when there is war, should they wish to be considered australian and demand the aust govt for help??? If you chose to live in an unstable country, that is your choice, and you need to live with the consequences.

*Minka*

HSC
And to clarify what I said last night: If I HAD to pick between Australian and Croatian citizenship, I'd keep Australian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)