• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it too much? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi all,
Once again, another year 10 student seeking assistance in regards to subjects. I'm dying to know whether the subjects I've chosen for Year 11 and 12 are too much to handle and too demanding:

- Chemistry
- Biology
- Ancient History
- English (Advanced)
- English Extension 1
- Mathematics Extension 1

In terms of workload, how do these subjects fare? And will it be too much: pressure, stress, studying? so confused!!!!!

All help is highly appreciated. :)

Rohanco

HSC
It's hard to say, there's no doubt you've got some subjects there that really require an amount of dedication, you've got quite a range as well. I think you can pull this off, just study hard stay motivated. Are you a capable student? What have your marks been like so far?

Shazer2

HSC
The workload will be heavy. However, you're going to have to study and it's more than likely you'll be stressed for any subject combination. Do what you want to do, that way you will enjoy it too.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You picked 12 units. That's fine in terms of workload. You just have to manage your time well.

HSC
Your prity much doing what I did at the start of Yr 11 besides Ext 1 English.. I had to drop Maths Ext 1 because the teacher was so demanding and we were doing like 4 exercises daily + I hated the extra lessons of an afternoon when everyone else got to go home :\ .
- Chemistry is really interesting but it requires quite a bit of mathematic skills and you always have to keep up with the work or you will miss something that is required through the whole course.
- Biology is really boring in Year 11.. Its so easy yet just so, so boring because you learn about fossils and plants and all that shiz. No worries though Yr 12 Biology is so much better learning about the human body and diseases + You don't need to remember a great deal from the Y11 Syllabus :D ! With bio it's easy to understand but there is so much content you have to remember. Shouldn't be a problem if you keep up with the syllabus dot points.
-English Advanced is a great choice if you want a good ATAR. If you don't enjoy English, don't do Extension since it requires so much effort + You have to do a Major work in your HSC (That's just what I've heard from people who are doing it now)
- Ancient History would be a good choosing if you like learning about Ancient Civilizations, Gods and if your really good at Essay writing since you basically just do essays for your tests. The final exam is 4 Essays though which is crap if you have English the same morning xD. I hate it and dropping as soon as it hits next term (YEY!)

Overall you have a really big workload because of Chem, and your two extension subjects. Remember you can always drop 2 units in yr 12 if your not liking a subject because there is no point doing a subject you don't like.

P.S. You only have 10 units in your list. Whats your other 2 Unit subject to make 12 Units?

Last edited:

SunnyScience

HSC
You are going to do EXACTLY the same subjects as I am currently doing for my HSC. However, in year 11 I also did music (14 units was wayy too much).

You'll be fine with your choices.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I did the exact same subject as you for prelim, except i did SOR II instead of English Extension 1.
That was 13 units for me and it wasn't that difficult.

Trust me you will be fine. Still got a year to decide what you do and don't like as well.

SunnyScience

HSC
If I could go back i would drop Extension 1 English. The workload is just way too much for what it is worth in my opinion.

academical

HSC
If you don't enjoy English, don't do Extension since it requires so much effort + You have to do a Major work in your HSC (That's just what I've heard from people who are doing it now)

She'll (?) only have to do a major work if she does Extension 2 English:) Extension English is really interesting though. In the exam you'll have to write a 1-hour essay and a 1-hour creative response - in Advanced It's 40mins for both but you also have to do short answers (you don't do short answers in extension). If you enjoy it though, it's worth the effort:)

And as for the others, there's nothing to worry about if you are consistent with the effort:)

So yeah...give it a go! You can always change in the beginning of the year if you find it too much work. I did both extensions as you are planning on doing and bio and chem, only difference being I did physics instead of Ancient. But I made it through unscathed so I'm sure you can too!

Good luck!

:)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You'll be fine. Just make sure you keep up to date with it all.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Many people have fared well with similar combos in the past. 12 units is entirely manageable. I did a similiarish set to you in Yr 11 but I did 13 units, switch Ancient for Modern, no MX1 and add Economics. I know people who have done those subs + another 2u subject in yr 11!

To be honest, EE1 seemed like a lot of work at the start of yr 11 but once you get used to it, I found the Year 12 course to be easier as you really develop your English skills in Yr 11 in it. I think it's being overstated a bit, if you like English/do well in it, EE1 will not seem like the stack of work people make it out to be. I would say the same for EE2 in some instances.

If you want to do well, it will be hard work. The subjects don't necessarily make you do the work, it's the results you want that require the work. If you want a 95+, with Drama, Dance, Adv Eng, Maths and Ancient, you'd be working your ass off. If you want a 95+ with EE1, MX1 and Bio, Chem and Phys, you'll have to work at it too.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
P.S. You only have 10 units in your list. Whats your other 2 Unit subject to make 12 Units?
2 units - Chemistry
2 units - Biology
2 units - Ancient History
2 units - English (Advanced)
1 unit - English Extension 1
3 units - Mathematics Extension 1

Equals 12.

deswa1

HSC
If you are interested in those subjects, you'll be fine. Many people have done similar or harder subject combinations (Asian 5 for example) and ripped them so as long as you stay on top of everything, you'll do well. Good luck

HSC
Thanks so much everyone! I have a few more questionsssssssss:
1) Would it be an OK idea if I dropped EE1 and did Society and Culture instead, so that then I have 13 units? (In yr 11)
2) Is it Maths Extension 1 a lot harder than 2 unit? Does it require alot more revision, study and time?

P.S I will definitely be dropping the EE1 course in Year 12. Too much work for 1 unit. :L

HSC
It's hard to say, there's no doubt you've got some subjects there that really require an amount of dedication, you've got quite a range as well. I think you can pull this off, just study hard stay motivated. Are you a capable student? What have your marks been like so far?
I guess you could say I am :) I've been getting As in every subject since I was in Year 7, and I always rank in the top 3 of my year. Hopefully, I can pull this off, as you say :D

deswa1

HSC
Don't know about number 1 because I don't know anything pretty much about either of those subs. For 2, it depends what you are like at maths. Yes it is a harder course- you need more understanding then 2U requires etc. How much more effort depends on you. For some people, it'll take no extra time really because they'll find 3U easy as well. Others will struggle a lot on the extra content and will need to spend ages to keep up.

What are your maths marks like now?

HSC
Don't know about number 1 because I don't know anything pretty much about either of those subs. For 2, it depends what you are like at maths. Yes it is a harder course- you need more understanding then 2U requires etc. How much more effort depends on you. For some people, it'll take no extra time really because they'll find 3U easy as well. Others will struggle a lot on the extra content and will need to spend ages to keep up.

What are your maths marks like now?
I'e been getting As in Maths for the last 4 years. I'm currently doing the 5.3 maths.... and it's quite challenging. But my range is about 86-91%...when I put in about 60% effort, that is :L
I guess I wanted to give MX1 a go, you know, work my way from the highest level, and then if it gets too much I'll drop it. It's always good to try rather than look back and regret not doing it :D

Magical Kebab

HSC
I was terrible at year 10 Maths and I did extension.
If u believe you can do it, you can. You know yourself best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)