• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it too much? (1 Viewer)

deswa1

HSC
Yeah definitely. Give it a go and worst case it becomes too hard and you drop it. Its worse if you have those regrets later on about whether you should have done it when you didn't

HSC
Haha :) Were you still 'terrible' for MX1 in Year 11 and 12? Hopefully Year 10 performance doesn't really determine my ability to do maths extension :L
How did you think MX1 was?

anguyenh

HSC
From what OTHERS have said, this is what I'd heard:
- Chemistry is a relatively hard subject (or takes a lot of work, depending on your ability). The syllabus is extremely lengthy and detailed.
- Biology is the easier science as the concepts are easier to grasp, therefore scaling is worse.
- Ancient History is apparently a lot of work and you and I are going to need to perfect our essay skills - ready to analyse lengthy sources and write god-knows-how-long essays! :(
- Any extension of English or Maths will require a lot of work, haha.

youngsky

poof
HSC
With the subjects you are considering so far, there is quite a bit of work involved. Taking 2 extension subjects is probably gonna be a challenge for you as well as any of the histories, modern or ancient. If you regularly place top 25% of your grade and are reasonably good at these subjects you should have a decent shot at 2 extensions in year 11.

I had my subject selections a few months ago, I picked ext 1 maths (as I am an asian) as part of 12 units...so yeah challenge yourself but don't go too far.

HSC
Yes, unfortunately I know its gonna be a HUGE challenge taking on 2 extensions, but then again, I have more free periods than any one else in my year!! So yippeeee more time to study and stuff :D
Anguyenh, so you think Modern would have been a better choice? I think the hardest choice in my life by far was Ancient vs. Modern... and I picked Ancient although I badly wanted Modern (modern teachers are crap in my school) cause my Ancient teachers were previously HSC markers and they really know their stuff. Are you serious??? ESSAYS AND ANALYSIS! Freaking great! Should have chosen Modern :(

iEatOysters

HSC
Apparently Modern's harder... or something. I'm not too sure. :/
I'm pretty sure both histories require you to analyse sources.

HSC
Apparently Modern's harder... or something. I'm not too sure. :/
I'm pretty sure both histories require you to analyse sources.
Yes, I've heard the same! However, most people misjudge the 'harder' statement. Modern's probably only slightly more difficult because of the need to memorise dates, events and information about icons of the 20th century. Content-wise, I would say Ancient is heavier. The only 'easy' thing about Ancient is that you can sort of make things up really (as long as you back them up), and no one can say anything because most ancient sources are lost. You can always say things like 'historians believe that" etc etc and still get the marks. Modern= detail. Is all.
:)

MiseryParade

HSC
Yes, unfortunately I know its gonna be a HUGE challenge taking on 2 extensions, but then again, I have more free periods than any one else in my year!! So yippeeee more time to study and stuff :D
Anguyenh, so you think Modern would have been a better choice? I think the hardest choice in my life by far was Ancient vs. Modern... and I picked Ancient although I badly wanted Modern (modern teachers are crap in my school) cause my Ancient teachers were previously HSC markers and they really know their stuff. Are you serious??? ESSAYS AND ANALYSIS! Freaking great! Should have chosen Modern :(
Do modern. Modern. MODERNNNNNN. I can't emphasise this enough. Half the kids who picked ancient in my grade are dropping it, myself included.

HSC
Do modern. Modern. MODERNNNNNN. I can't emphasise this enough. Half the kids who picked ancient in my grade are dropping it, myself included.

OMFG! It's too late, I already picked Ancient!!!!!!!!!!! AH! I should've bloody picked Modern! What's so bad about Ancient??? Dude, you're freaking me out! :eek:

MiseryParade

HSC
OMFG! It's too late, I already picked Ancient!!!!!!!!!!! AH! I should've bloody picked Modern! What's so bad about Ancient??? Dude, you're freaking me out! :eek:
The content looks interesting on paper. Trojans and bog bodies and Boudicca the super awesome queen - who wouldn't want to learn about them, right? It actually turns out that all we do is speculate on what /could/ have happened. That is the gist of ancient history - you examine different sources and evidences to deduce what may have happened, what may have triggered a certain event, what conflicting perspectives there are, et al. It sounds great theoretically, but when you have to actually learn about it in class, most kids found out that they'd rather work with more recent materials that are much more relevant to contemporary society. Modern is much more interesting, in my opinion; you learn about WWII and other nations, and other events that are actually applicable. (as in you could trace a link between these events and its impact on our modern society) I have a friend who does both ancient and modern, and she hates ancient. My greatest regret is picking ancient instead of modern.

You can still change your subjects up to the first four weeks in year 11, I believe. Talk with your history teachers and see which history appeals to you the most, maybe, especially looking at the kinds of assignments and exams you need to do? If it isn't obvious already, I'm a strong advocate of modern history.

HSC
To be honest, it didn't even look interesting to me on paper at all! Modern did. But, my mind was getting crowded with all the comments and recommendations of teachers that I couldn't even hear my own voice. In my school, Ancient gets the Band 6s. It's our strongest subject. Teachers are great and are so passionate, they make everything sound interesting.
I initially wanted Modern. Such an idiot for not actually picking it! The saddest thing is, I can't swap a subject for Modern anymore. I'm pretty much stuck, because the only subject of mine that runs on the Modern line is Biology, and I surely cannot drop that....or can I? :rolleyes:
So pissed and disappointed!

MiseryParade

HSC
To be honest, it didn't even look interesting to me on paper at all! Modern did. But, my mind was getting crowded with all the comments and recommendations of teachers that I couldn't even hear my own voice. In my school, Ancient gets the Band 6s. It's our strongest subject. Teachers are great and are so passionate, they make everything sound interesting.
I initially wanted Modern. Such an idiot for not actually picking it! The saddest thing is, I can't swap a subject for Modern anymore. I'm pretty much stuck, because the only subject of mine that runs on the Modern line is Biology, and I surely cannot drop that....or can I? :rolleyes:
So pissed and disappointed!
If ancient is your school's best subject, do you think you can get a band 6 in it easier than one in modern? Will you be dedicated enough to achieve a band 6 in a subject you don't enjoy, regardless of your school's prowess? You need to ask yourself these questions, instead of letting teachers influence you. I suggest trying ancient for a few weeks in year 11, then seeing if you want to keep it or not. I suppose the question is this: do you want modern or biology more?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)