Is it wise to do both ancient AND modern AND history extension? (1 Viewer)

gilly_bean

HSC
I'm planning on doing 10 units next year so doing 5 units of history means I would spend half my time doing essentially one subject. I LOVE history and I'm a fairly good student however I already do content heavy subject (legal studies, 3 unit english) so I feel like it may be too much work and content to remember. Any suggestions would be wonderful, thank you :)

enoilgam

HSC
If you love history, then go for it - people manage with a lot heavy subject loads.

Verify

HSC
I do both histories and I find that the workload is not heavy at all. Both modern and ancient are very different in content and are both enjoyable in their own ways.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Keep in mind that History Extension is historiography (the history of historical thought). A lot of people who really like history hate historiography. If you're unsure read some Hayden White or Foucault, you'll figure out if you like it or not reeeeeaaaal quickly.

Last edited:

Lina3

HSC
I'm planning on doing 10 units next year so doing 5 units of history means I would spend half my time doing essentially one subject. I LOVE history and I'm a fairly good student however I already do content heavy subject (legal studies, 3 unit english) so I feel like it may be too much work and content to remember. Any suggestions would be wonderful, thank you :)
If you feel you are capable of this, then it shouldn't be a problem :) Remember though, the 'secret' (well, its sort of obvious) in doing really well in history is to do extra reading of your own (i.e not specifically as 'study', just for enjoyment) because going beyond the syllabus gives you a better mastery of the content and doing 5 units of history might make this harder than just doing 2 or 3 units.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends if you can manage the load. High chances of getting burnt out. If you do only one type of subject they you will. So I would advise you to either do ancient/ modern. However if you think you can handle doing the same subject over and over again then why not?

HSC
Speak to your teacher or the head of history. I know it is possible and I know of some people who do it but usually people just do either one of the history/s and then extension. However, if you love the subject and are doing well then go for it. But my advice would be to start off with extra units when you pick it up and if it gets too much after task 2 or something you can always drop it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)