Is Kurt Mathematics Centre good? (1 Viewer)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hated the place.This was back in year 10 and I felt like I was in a detention center. Admittedly, it's the only coaching place I've tried (because my maths back then was consistently below average) and I could not stand it. Probably depends on the person though, since a lot of my peers attend - they have good grasp of the content, though sadly class time is wasted since it's all old news by then.

Honestly, never touched a coaching place again (esp. those run by 'asian' principles) and I'm consistently above average. There's really no need to subject yourself to this sort of environment if you can do all your classwork/homework and understand the concepts.
At least he disciplines you by making you learn

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
He has a master's degree in Mathematics and he has a master's degree in physics and originally he is from Hong Kong.
So this is what he's famous for: his famous teaching which makes his lower students improve. No wonder, I had this feeling he had a degree of some sort

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
So this is what he's famous for: his famous teaching which makes his lower students improve. No wonder, I had this feeling he had a degree of some sort
But it's all up to the student! His teaching method plays such an insignificant role, it's just his students that go there are so determined to learn.

Skylar2

HSC
N/A
His great but bipolar. Never want to go to detention +-+holiday detention is 12 hrs btw

andrew12678

HSC
what is the price for kurt ?
Shouldn't be too expensive, possibly around the $20-30ph range to match/beat other 'large' group tutoring competitors (Ngo&Sons,Du, Harry's etc). I went to Ngo & Sons (aka Truongs) so I can't give you much personal advice for Kurt but from what I've heard from friends you can expect some tough love and after hours detentions for poor performance. Please be sure that you are comfortable with the last two things before you sign up for Kurt (same goes for Truongs/Du), I would only recommend putting up with this if you are in an accelerated class and learning ahead so you wont have to go such trauma in Yr12 haha, there are so many better options if you are going at 'school pace' for the same price (if not cheaper price) with less people (expect anywhere from 30-60 per class at any of the above places)-check out my signature if you are looking for one of these

Last edited:

pingbo

HSC
N/A
Basically he spends most of his time talking about his life experiences so you waste around 30 bucks on listening to stories and around 20 bucks on doing work from a textbook.

jchen99

HSC
imo better to go to a small, lesser known place like Infinite Knowledge because they're more focused on individual students - quality much better

jtan8008

HSC
imo better to go to a small, lesser known place like Infinite Knowledge because they're more focused on individual students - quality much better
yeah small centres are always the best because you get a personal experience and it's all about quality. Small centres actually hire good tutors because they have to screen their applicants and take pride in their work/service. Best of both tutoring worlds.

I find that with private tutors - it can be a bit risky because some private tutors are just really bad and they're only doing private tutoring for money and also cause they got a good ATAR. But a good atar doesn't mean that they can teach well lol.

And with larger tutoring centres, it's kind of just like a weekend classroom. Not very good tutoring, more like you're just learning the content a second time after school.

integral95

HSC
yeah small centres are always the best because you get a personal experience and it's all about quality. Small centres actually hire good tutors because they have to screen their applicants and take pride in their work/service. Best of both tutoring worlds.

I find that with private tutors - it can be a bit risky because some private tutors are just really bad and they're only doing private tutoring for money and also cause they got a good ATAR. But a good atar doesn't mean that they can teach well lol.

And with larger tutoring centres, it's kind of just like a weekend classroom. Not very good tutoring, more like you're just learning the content a second time after school.
Care to expand a little more on how some private tutors are bad ?

juniormaths

HSC
N/A
I also went Kurt. But Ngo and sons is all rounder.
They give tough love (especially the main teachers) and if you can't handle there are others who you can pick.

If you are a ruse or Baulko Kid, go Ngo and sons

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)