is law at unsw good (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey peeps so i have four questions about law degrees:
1. is law at unsw good?
2. can i do a single degree not a double?
3. also what is the student contribution per year?
4. is law better at uow or unsw?

sorry for the questions but would really appreciate any feedback x

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
2. If you want to a law degree as an undergraduate you have to do it as a "dual" (double) degree

http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/future-students/undergraduate/programs

3. Will depend on what you combine it with, and any electives chosen. But it is a maximum of $10,958 assuming you are domestic. You can defer it to HECs so do not have to pay it back straight away. Only if you graduate and are being paid over a certain amount will you be required to pay it back.
https://student.unsw.edu.au/fees-student-contribution-rates

4. You will have better prospects assuming you perform well at UNSW over UOW and do the same extracurricular.

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I am doing my law degree at UNSW and am finishing this year. I will answer your questions in a combined answer. I have really enjoyed studying law at UNSW, the classroom discussions arising from small class structures really helps me to engage with the content and learn to articulate myself more clearly and be less afraid to speak up in class, and I think that is a big reason why I found law to be interesting. You can only do a single degree in law if you already have an undergraduate degree, i.e. do it as a postgrad Juris Doctor, but for undergrad, you have to do combined at UNSW. Student contribution is per semester/trisemester-starting from next year, might be around $300 or less (you can just add it onto HECS or HELP or whatever they are called these days if you want. Law at UNSW is ranked 34th globally and 2nd in Australia, so it probably is better than UOW in terms of ranking, but it really depends on other factors that may be more important to you, i.e. travel distance, education experience, teaching format etc...

Godard

HSC
I think law at UNSW is definitely more interactive and engaging due to the teaching style which is heavily focused on class discussions rather than lectures. This teaching method encourages students to complete all their readings so that they can make contributions to class discussions or ask any questions they had about the materials.

UNSW is considered one of the top law schools in Australia, up there with USyd, UniMelb and ANU, and is reputable law school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)