Is Law Boring? (1 Viewer)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
PwarYuex said:
if you find it so bad, why not drop it? I mean, if you hate it, you're not going to do well.
ive got a credit average...
its a definate option my friend, ill think about it at the end of the year

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I kind of slot into that category. To be entirely honest, the only motive I have for considering a BCom/LLB is for the career prospects, as I was reading several articles that suggested that employers like well-rounded people with knowledge in various fields. I'm also considering a BCom/BSci, but I actually have a genuine interest in some areas of science (not all). I'm certain that I'm going to do a BCom, though whether or not I do it in combo with something else is my dilemma.
As moonlight has said, weigh up the pros and cons.
It'd be appropriate to figure out what area of business you want to get into. If you know you want to get into consulting, investment banking or even taxation, it'd probably be worth your while to do a law degree.

However, if you want to become an accountant or auditor at a big4, then you would've wasted 2 years. By the time you graduate, people who started straight commerce at the same time as you wouldve had 2 years experience and most likely promoted to senior.

spell check

HSC
classes are good

readings are bad

if you can get through the readings and participate in class discussions and arguments then great, you'll probably learn more from that than from the reading anyway

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Minai said:
As moonlight has said, weigh up the pros and cons.
It'd be appropriate to figure out what area of business you want to get into. If you know you want to get into consulting, investment banking or even taxation, it'd probably be worth your while to do a law degree.

However, if you want to become an accountant or auditor at a big4, then you would've wasted 2 years. By the time you graduate, people who started straight commerce at the same time as you wouldve had 2 years experience and most likely promoted to senior.
I'm trying to veer away from auditing. I'd like to work for a merchant bank such as Macquarie...I'm not exactly sure of what specific field of interest I'd like to study, but most likely corporate finance/investment/management etc.

I've read articles that suggest that employers favour students with double degrees, so I'm not sure if my job opportunities would be limited by simply doing a BCom.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
If you have a good teacher...

and if your classes are small enough :p
to be honest tim i reckon the socratic method is a load of crap.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
It works when you have a good teacher...when everyone does their reading...and the class is smaller than 30.

We dont always have good teachers...not everyone does their reading...our classes are much bigger than 30.
the current situation is like this:

- Sandra Egger (Head of School, my Crim1 teacher) may be most well-qualified crim teacher in the world, both in terms of academics and experience, but she sure as hell cannot make the class engaging. her voice is monotonous, the material is heavy and dry, and i fall asleep.

- David Brown (Crim1 course coordinator) suffered a heart attack recently, so his class has been combined with mine. We are now at App. Sci. G02 and CLB3 instead of the small class rooms in law tower.. The average class size is probably 30, give or take. Sandra is 'teaching'.

- No longer do we get a 10% CP for class attendance. Instead, we shall get 10% added on either our assignment or final exam, whichever yields the higher result. this not providing any incentive to go to class, i subsequently jig class.

- I haven't read my readings since about week 5.

- I haven't made notes since about week 1.

- Criminal Law 1 suxxors. :(

- i am going to fail :(

iwannarock

HSC
i dont like law. i despise it. but i'll stick with it because it'd probably help employment wise like somebody else said.

the day i have my contracts tute is the worst yet best day ever. its the best feeling after that tute knowing that its the longest possible time til that tute again (a week) and i have the whole weekend ahead of me. before this however is the worst.

law would be an absolute blast for hard workers. it wouldn't be a problem. but see i don't do any work/reading for law until the night before an assignment or exam. this explains my pass average, but to me 51 and 91 are the same mark to me i'm content with a pass especially in only second year.

each semester for me only consists of about maybe 7 days where i actually do work..........and that's writing up assignments for 4 subjects on the day or the day before their due. but i somehow pass, so its great i get to spend more time doing other things (ie: play guitar).

and another thing. all the people in law are so damn competitive, there are always a few people who dominate discussions in tutes. and also, what is it with tutors assuming that because somebody doesnt contribute to a discussion it means they're too shy. i don't contribute to the discussion because i never ever know the answer or know anything which ofcourse stems from the reasons i said earlier. i don't give a crap about participation marks. i'm the token loner/slacker/underachiever in my tute.

sorry for the rant i just had to vent. its thursday and i have my law tute 2morow.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
yes law i imagine it would be soooo boring :p well for me anyway, sounds like a bludge.

04er

HSC
If you get a high enough UAI, why not try Law/Commerce and then if you don't like it, transfer to just Commerce or another combined commerce degree? Because otherwise you might later regret it... well, that's how I decided to do it. And i'm beginning to like Law which is great (*cough* as for Commerce *cough*) :) Mind you, I've never been a humanities sort of person nor one who likes to read but the issues can be exciting... I've never enjoyed public speaking but really it's something that grows with practice/experience. *surprised at small amount of reading for UNSW* here we get 30-70 pages per foundations of law seminar (twice a week). I was shocked when I found out... but in reality you simply need to get the big idea or form an opinion in regards to an issue and not memorise everything. It's quite exciting because I've noticed that my skimming ability and vocabulary has really really improved.

Well before you make a final decision, make sure that you've researched all your options thoroughly.

Cheers and good luck :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Personally I've found the class sizes at UNSW to be appropriate and have never had a problem with it. The socratic method is not crap. It is a tried and proven tool for effectively engaging with students. If students won't speak up or communicate in class then it's their own fault. They're going to have to do it in the real world sooner or later so they should get used to it. Might I also add, if a person can't speak up in law then maybe they shouldn't be doing it.

Having someone tell you things for two hours then having a separate tutorial is an alternate method that I don't think is quite appropriate for a subject like law. Maths or science maybe, but not law. If you get a bad lecturer with a lecture/tute structured course it makes it extremely difficult. At least if you have a bad teacher with the small class system you can pester them if you don't understand something.

I think it depends much more on the teacher than anything else.

X

xeuyrawp

Asquithian said:
That is so sad. I found crim 1 and 2 the most interesting subjects BY FAR.

I had Alex Steel and he is a dead set legend. He will be back for Crim 2. He is on leave because his wife had a child...I think.

http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/staff/SteelA/
Both Steel and Egger are Macq grads. Interesting.

edit:

My phil teacher is a fan of the socratic method (go figure). I hate it. No work gets done and we all leave as dumb as when we enter. All my other tutors go for the normal style.

Last edited by a moderator:

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
iwannarock said:
i dont like law. i despise it. but i'll stick with it because it'd probably help employment wise like somebody else said.

the day i have my contracts tute is the worst yet best day ever. its the best feeling after that tute knowing that its the longest possible time til that tute again (a week) and i have the whole weekend ahead of me. before this however is the worst.

law would be an absolute blast for hard workers. it wouldn't be a problem. but see i don't do any work/reading for law until the night before an assignment or exam. this explains my pass average, but to me 51 and 91 are the same mark to me i'm content with a pass especially in only second year.

each semester for me only consists of about maybe 7 days where i actually do work..........and that's writing up assignments for 4 subjects on the day or the day before their due. but i somehow pass, so its great i get to spend more time doing other things (ie: play guitar).

and another thing. all the people in law are so damn competitive, there are always a few people who dominate discussions in tutes. and also, what is it with tutors assuming that because somebody doesnt contribute to a discussion it means they're too shy. i don't contribute to the discussion because i never ever know the answer or know anything which ofcourse stems from the reasons i said earlier. i don't give a crap about participation marks. i'm the token loner/slacker/underachiever in my tute.

sorry for the rant i just had to vent. its thursday and i have my law tute 2morow.
Yeah I agree man. Hell I participate when I can keep my eyelids open. Otherwise I'm like "fuck it". It's not too hard to catch up in law imo, spend a good day reading and i'm all good.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
04er said:
If you get a high enough UAI, why not try Law/Commerce and then if you don't like it, transfer to just Commerce or another combined commerce degree? Because otherwise you might later regret it... well, that's how I decided to do it. And i'm beginning to like Law which is great (*cough* as for Commerce *cough*) :) Mind you, I've never been a humanities sort of person nor one who likes to read but the issues can be exciting... I've never enjoyed public speaking but really it's something that grows with practice/experience. *surprised at small amount of reading for UNSW* here we get 30-70 pages per foundations of law seminar (twice a week). I was shocked when I found out... but in reality you simply need to get the big idea or form an opinion in regards to an issue and not memorise everything. It's quite exciting because I've noticed that my skimming ability and vocabulary has really really improved.

Well before you make a final decision, make sure that you've researched all your options thoroughly.

Cheers and good luck :)
Commerce/Law @ Usyd or UNSW though?...that's the decision to make. If I had a choice, I'd go to UNSW for Commerce and USyd for Law....but unfortunately I can't. That said, I haven't even decided whether or not to do Comm/Law yet.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
04er said:
Exactly my thoughts. Do you want to do actuarial studies?
Not particularly...I'm leaning towards Finance. If I do a straight BCom, then I'll I'm not too sure what my 2nd major will be - probably Management, International Business or Accounting though I want to avoid Accounting if possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)