is maths worth it for the HSC (1 Viewer)

willbman

HSC
basically i have a solid knowledge of intro calculus, but when it comes to the second derivative, integration and trig functions i dont have much idea. these are the things i will be learning in maths this year, but is it neccessary to learn them for a commerce/law/arts type degree? worst case scenario i could just do a bridging course or work harder when that type of maths arrives.
thanks.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
All these people saying that you don't need maths for commerce yet also saying you need maths for commerce :|

I never said what degree and level of knowledge that is required (and not assuming he/she is doing general/2u/3u/4u). But yes you do need to know maths nonetheless cause it does help.

As we have said, you need to specify which particular areas you intend to study. B Arts is a generic degree and can incorporate many different units. At Macquarie you can do Economics, Mathematics, Statistics (which is required for many subjects), science and many others. Computing has maths.

I do analytical chemistry and we learn additional statistics and we are required to have knowledge in differentiation, calculations of log and many other mathematical components. Biochemistry has maths and quite a bit of calculations to determine dilution factors or concentrations.

Commerce and business itself has many various branches and pathways. Accounting, Finance, Actuarials, and economics. There are equations and numbers involved. Things like ratios and cash flow. Understanding on how to manage your own business and sales. Income, profit, expected interest, interest rates, debts and much more.

Maths is a universal language and you are expected to know the fundamentals but having a background in the area you make your life much more easier. I said commerce requires maths, and it does as everyone has stated.

And Natstar, unless Maths is taking up too much study time then dropping it will help. But, remember your UAI is only composed of your 10 best unit points so it doesnt have to count.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
willbman said:
basically i have a solid knowledge of intro calculus, but when it comes to the second derivative, integration and trig functions i dont have much idea. these are the things i will be learning in maths this year, but is it neccessary to learn them for a commerce/law/arts type degree? worst case scenario i could just do a bridging course or work harder when that type of maths arrives.
thanks.
Well many people find that they actually enjoy maths once they get into it.

Anyway, I highly recommend doing further calculus, arithmetic and algebra. You'd be surprised by the ways in which the skills you learn in maths can be applied to arts and law - and that is not just bullshit I am spinning you. Tangible correlations exist: mathematics requires creativity and logic, both skills important to being a good lawyer or arts student.

I won't pretend that you'll employ the maths you do in those subjects, but I will gaurentee you'll employ the skills you gain. I know that's not much justification, but the value of maths is something quite hard to pin down in words. I guess it's a matter of having faith when we tell you that maths is an important subject to pursue.

I believe you are still in high school, right? Well definitely do as much maths as you can cope with. That is one thing I can't stress enough. I've met so many people starting year 12 or university who lament the fact that they didn't do maths (or that they only did general). Doing maths won't kill you.

S

Shuter

natstar said:
Thats utter bullshit. If your gonna say that, you do need maths for Mcdonalds, becuase you need to learn to add up change, which is pretty much the basic maths you need for most commerce degrees.
I think that's just at UWS...

willbman

HSC
would it be worth doing general and getting high 90's, or not doing maths altogether. and also do degrees with maths as assumed knowledge consider if a student has completed maths in year 12 when in the selection process?

S

Shuter

natstar said:
Well tell me what other than basic maths you need for most commerce degrees
Umm, UWS doesn't even require any statistics study for many of its business courses. No other major unis do this, they all have at least 1-2 core subjects with study in statistics.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
it really depends on your major. Majors like economics, actuarial, finance econometrics really require a good grounding in maths. It is not made clear in 1st year but take a peek at the 2nd yr and 3rd yr subjects in eco or finance etc and it is very mathematical

S

Shuter

natstar said:
Um statistics is a main component of my course. Ive done 2 core units that involve quite extensive use of statistics- Statistics for Business and Marketing Research
As I said, many of UWS courses do not require it, while all the courses do at most other unis.

S

Shuter

natstar said:
such as???
To get a degree at any university you have to meet requirments. Specific degrees across the board have the same requirements.

Why would you need statistics in commerce degrees such as hospitality or tourism management?
Having said that accounting at UTS doesewnt have a statistics core, while UWS accounting does. UTS marketing doesent even appear to have a core statistical course
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/maj08441.html
That's great that you're able to access the internet, now maybe learn how to use it.

The major is not the core subjects, the core subjects for all business courses are:

http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/stm90273.html

26133 Business Information Analysis 6cp is a quantative analysis course, as well as 25300 Fundamentals of Business Finance 6cp .

UWS management, international business, e-commerce, HR etc all have no statistics.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shuter

natstar said:
Have you actually looked at all UWS's business courses? Maybe becuase UWS have specific business majors as degrees, rather than a general B Business. Have you also examined all other uni's business cores?
UNSW, Usyd, UTS, Macqueerie do.

S

Shuter

natstar said:
Well have you looked at all UWS business/commerce course structures?
Yes, and as I said before, many of them do not have statistics as a core at all.

SeDaTeD

HSC
It depends on what you want to do, but it will not hurt understanding it. If it worries you that you might happen to require it later on then you shuld keep it.

iwannarock

HSC
willbman said:
would it be worth doing general and getting high 90's, or not doing maths altogether. and also do degrees with maths as assumed knowledge consider if a student has completed maths in year 12 when in the selection process?
i did general maths, simply as a way to do good in the hsc. you can fuckin ace general maths without ever having to study for it. like at all. its all common sense stuff. do they still give u the formula sheet in the exam. hahaha that was funny. you don't even have to remember anything.

and to all those wankers that say "eeeeer only dumbasses do general.......u can't get a band 6 in general etc" say fuck them. i got a band 6 in general. doing shit all.

also it depends on the degree you wanna go for. commerce and economics etc never go beyond a general maths level.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
General maths isnt scaled as high.

Compare the Band 6 for General Maths and then Band 4-6 for 2U. I'm too lazy to search it.

iwannarock

HSC
i've seen the maths they do in those subjects.

stat, commerce, accounting, business etc.

maybe economics is the only one that could go beyond in later years.

its mainly substitution and linear algebraic stuff.

they're certainly closer to general maths level than 2u.

bananaslug

HSC
You should do 2unit..its not too bad. General math doesnt have calculus and its assumed in many courses at usyd, although statistics at usyd will be taught on the assumption u haven't done it before because its not it the 2 unit course...hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)