Is med science hard if you didn't study chemistry or physics in high school? (1 Viewer)

LouisaCar

HSC
I was just wondering if this coarse went over the fundamentals of scientific subjects or if there is already an expected degree of knowledge???

Dylanamali

HSC
Where are you studying Med Science?

Because, there are different majors that you can choose - and those majors will effect what you study.
In most majors, you don't need to know physics.. but biology and chemistry will be useful to know, as most majors delve into bio and chem, whereas I think only one (nanotechnology) really goes into physics.

I think that there is definitely an expected degree of knowledge/assumed knowledge, that you will have to know. Some med science courses have units known as "scientific literacy" which can delve into some of the basic knowledge, but I think to be safe, you should probably invest some time in reading over some year 12 bio and chem if you can.

LouisaCar

HSC
I didn't chose Chemistry or Physics in yr 11 as electives (regrettably). My problem is is that if I don't get into med next year I will probably choose this course and then later apply post-grad (med). Either way I'm lacking the fundamentals of chemistry and physics so don't know what to do... Would a normal science degree be a better option? and do you know if they go over things from the beginning

Dylanamali

HSC
Oh okay.. so your doing your HSC this year.

Well, I'm doing either a Bachelor of Science (Advanced) or a Bachelor of Medical Science with aspirations go gaining entry into Medicine, either as a non-standard or via the post-grad method.
You shouldn't worry about not knowing Physics.. physics is not usually learnt in a Med Science degree unless chosen as an elective.. and even then the physics learnt during these courses do not require previous knowledge of physics.
IMO, it's only good to do physics as a unit in university if you need it for the GAMSAT.. I'll probably be doing one semester of physics and then that's it.. so I have a basis of preparation for the GAMSAT.

In either science course, you are definitely going to encounter biology and chemistry.. so it doesn't really matter which one you go for.. They would not go over things from the beginning.. e.g. go over year 11 and year 12 chemistry, because that would be a waste of time.. that's why that have "assumed knowledge".
You have a couple of options.. either 1) do a bridging course for chemistry or 2) self-learn chemistry or get a private tutor to help you learn chemistry.

**I'd recommend the later option.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)