• Help the next generation of students in the community for the new syllabus!
    Share your notes and exam papers on our Notes & Resources page
  • We are looking for new moderators to join the Bored of Studies team!
    Click here for details

Is my short story any good? (1 Viewer)

lot44

HSC
hey guys, would people be able to help me, i have absolutely no idea if my short story is any good. if i could get some critique it would be great... and hopefully before friday

*Baby-K*

HSC
Hey,

Your story is good, however I am not entirely sure if it fits into physical journeys. My teacher had told me that a physical journey involves someone moving from place A to place B (whether he/she is moving countries or just going down to the shops is irrelevant), it should involve an obstacle (ie. character is moving countries, when he/she gets to the airport, he loses his passport) and the description of the outcome- what the character learns once he overcomes this obstacle (ie. broadens his/her appreciation of the world, learns more about himself etc). At the moment I would say that your story is more emotional journey or perhaps even an inner journey of how your character moves on emotionally after the death of her brother. I hope that helps.

PS. i may not be entirely right

lot44

HSC
hey thanks, i actually didn't mean to put it int he physical journeys thing... its not supposed to be a physical journey.. haha if it is i'm screwed. but thanks

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Your opening is reasonably effective, as is your ending line. The main problem I find with it is the narrative voice. It can be hard to work out who the narrator of the story is.l I suggest reconfiguring the middle sections, in particular the "There's a sound..." part. You need to make the character jump more fluid.

I also think the "I guess I've changed..." paragraph needs some work. For more it seems like you've slipped into trying to tell the marker that it is a journey text. Strong stories won't need to blantantly state the fact.

I do like the start of the "People must think..." section. It's an unusual style, but it works effectively.

Overall, it is a decent story, it just needs a bit of tuning here and there.

hairej1

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
Hey,

Your story is good, however I am not entirely sure if it fits into physical journeys. My teacher had told me that a physical journey involves someone moving from place A to place B (whether he/she is moving countries or just going down to the shops is irrelevant), it should involve an obstacle (ie. character is moving countries, when he/she gets to the airport, he loses his passport) and the description of the outcome- what the character learns once he overcomes this obstacle (ie. broadens his/her appreciation of the world, learns more about himself etc). At the moment I would say that your story is more emotional journey or perhaps even an inner journey of how your character moves on emotionally after the death of her brother. I hope that helps.

PS. i may not be entirely right
hey thanks for that .. even though u werent even replying to my question.. i havnt made a prepared creative story and am just planning on making it up on the spot in the exam .. going in wiht a few ideas of what my teacher has said.. bu yea it helps to know thanks 2 you but my story has to involve ..
thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)