is my uai wrong? (1 Viewer)

jonnypride

HSC
it doesnt seem right? im sure the person who has added up my uai has got somthing wrong. here are my marks.

adv english - 68
pdhpe - 68
general maths - 72
business studies - 66
food tech - 65

and i got a UAI of 39. This has to be a mistake? my brother told me my uai should be about 70

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Looks correct.

EDIT: UAI calculator gives a similar UAI..

Last edited:

pdoueihi

HSC
sorry to hear that dude.

thats really fucked up. as if they give such a low uai for those results. thts fucked

layzeehbum

HSC
sorry dude but i guess the uai may be right

this happens to my bro as well

its all bcoz of the subjects that you're doing and your marks are fairly average...

PCNQQn2

HSC
N/A
Sorry to be blunt, but all of your marks are below the state averages, except for General Maths.

The 25th percentile mark for advanced english was 74%, meaning that your mark of 68% was near the bottom of the advanced english candidates.

thommy

HSC
N/A
PCNQQn2 said:
Sorry to be blunt, but all of your marks are below the state averages, except for General Maths.

The 25th percentile mark for advanced english was 74%, meaning that your mark of 68% was near the bottom of the advanced english candidates.
Could you please explain that last sentence to me. I got no sleep last night and can't comprehend it. I got 84 in Advanced, how would I have faired, on average?

And sorry to hear Jonny, I've heard some today that seem so wrong, and yours' is a perfect example.

JJBearPaw

HSC
that sucks man.

pdhpe and food tech arent helpin' you though. that's like me and bio, pulled me right downn.

lilredelmo

HSC
Did similar subjects and my UAI SUCKED
73 Adv Eng
72 Bio
80 PDHPE
80 Cafs
81 Food Tech
And a massive 66 UAI!!
Go figure:pain: :evilfire:

tiinkabelle

HSC
mine did too. i cried for hours. i did:
modern hist - 77
ancient history - 74
adv. english - 75
cafs - 80
aboriginal studies - 76
uai was 62.85
gutted.:cold:

Iruka

HSC
N/A
The problem is not the UAI. The problem is that the board of studies is giving very high HSC marks in the first place, which raises people's expectations to an unrealistic level.

In General maths, about 5% of people got band six, 21% got band 5 , 30% got band 4. So a 72 for gen maths is probably round about the median mark or slightly below. I think you will find most other 2 unit subjects have marks distribution that is equally skewed towards the high end.

What this means is that people who have actually performed worse than the majority of their peers are getting marks in the 70s, which makes them happy (I guess) for all of 1 day, until the UAI comes out.

The UAI however, is purely a ranking device, so the candidates' marks relative to everyone else in the state are being compared. So unless you are above the median in all or most of your courses, you are not going to get a high UAI.

HSC
You need to remember that UAI is a rank, not a mark.

You brother probably thought your UAI should be around 70 because that is where your marks are.

Imagine a scenario where the HSC is only sat by 2 students: you and someone else.

If the other person gets marks in the 50s, your UAI will be 100, meaning you beat 100% of the state. If they get marks in the 90s, your UAI will be 0, because you didn't beat anyone.

Extremely simplified but it shows how the same marks can be affected by other peoples' performance.

Knowingnothing

Legendary!
HSC
It's hard to express that these marks may certainly be high, but not in the high percentile.

Like I said in a previous thread, even with 5 high scaling subjects (so to speak), and you get 70 in each one, you will only get a UAI of 60. Reason being is that you aren't in the high 'percentile of the group' but moreso, near the middle.

And doing the same thing with 5 low scaling subjects, 70 in each one can result in a UAI of ~45.

And we have to admit that all the tests were a lot more simplified, so the chances of people scoring higher were raised, so marks in the 70's would have to be called mediocre.

latifa

HSC
I think the way they mark the uai is very very very very STUPID!!!!!!! I did good subjects i got in my high 60's and 70's and my uai was less than 50... all this subject and ranking stuff is full of shit... i think that if u get in ur 60's ur uai should be in ur 60's and if u got in ur 40's then thats when ur uai should be in ur 40's..........

HSC
latifa said:
I think the way they mark the uai is very very very very STUPID!!!!!!! I did good subjects i got in my high 60's and 70's and my uai was less than 50... all this subject and ranking stuff is full of shit... i think that if u get in ur 60's ur uai should be in ur 60's and if u got in ur 40's then thats when ur uai should be in ur 40's..........
why dont you come up with a better way to compare 67000 students against each other then?

trento654

HSC
jonnypride said:
it doesnt seem right? im sure the person who has added up my uai has got somthing wrong. here are my marks.

adv english - 68
pdhpe - 68
general maths - 72
business studies - 66
food tech - 65

and i got a UAI of 39. This has to be a mistake? my brother told me my uai should be about 70
Uai and HSC are both overatted jokes dude, i got pretty much the same with my results, don't worry bout it, just laugh

erm

HSC
trento654 said:
with my school always being in the bottem 100 and james ruse alway being no.1 it pretty unfair to have thoughs kids who are pretty much knowledge absorbing vacuums in a small, asian form again an average relaxed individual like me, it's pretty unfair, but HSC is a joke anyway
Just because you were "relaxed" doesn't make it unfair. It was all up to you mate, no one else.

But i do agree with your last point (hsc is a joke...but a fair joke) :haha:

Misz

HSC
trento654 said:
with my school always being in the bottem 100 and james ruse alway being no.1 it pretty unfair to have thoughs kids who are pretty much knowledge absorbing vacuums in a small, asian form again an average relaxed individual like me, it's pretty unfair, but HSC is a joke anyway
the hsc is full of crap even through i dont need to do it till nxt yr its full of shit.. so my m8 got 63 for his uai.... can he get into any courses in uni? lik
Engineering he really wantd to get into it..is there any other wayy?
if u know anyy plz let me know...

trento654

HSC
erm said:
Just because you were "relaxed" doesn't make it unfair. It was all up to you mate, no one else.

But i do agree with your last point (hsc is a joke...but a fair joke) :haha:
i know it was, and i'm still relaxed even with that bit of knowledge

C

Chrisssss

Misz said:
the hsc is full of crap even through i dont need to do it till nxt yr its full of shit.. so my m8 got 63 for his uai.... can he get into any courses in uni? lik
Engineering he really wantd to get into it..is there any other wayy?
if u know anyy plz let me know...
With bonus points, maybe EAS etc he could potentially gain admission to Eng. @ UWS. (UAI cut off= 68)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)