Is short-term memory normal? (1 Viewer)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
I have a really, retarded memory. Like, i find it impossibly hard to remember things that happened the day before, let alone all the work that we have to memorise for the entire year.

Seriously, is something wrong with me? coz, i have such short-term memory that i can't even remember what a covalent bond is! (ok, that was kinda extreme, but you get my point).

yeah, i know that once i fully revise all my notes, then it'll all probly come back to me..... but, i just can't remember stuff we learnt at the beginning of yr 12. Like, for eg. In Chemistry, our first topic was.... see, i can't even remember!!!! oh yeah, it was... well... the one before acids and bases.... and what can i remember of that topic? NOTHING. I can't even remember the stupid title!!!! *breaks down and cries*

Is it just me, or does this happen to a lot of people? You know, like, not even remembering the name of a topic, let alone what it was about?

Ack! I can't even recall how to calculate heat of solution!!!!

ps. i'm not a lazy bum who does no work at all, and thus remembers nothing... i actually do really well in some of my subjects, especially biology... which is why i'm seriously worried, coz i can't remember anything!!!!

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
hahaha i know that feeling of being forgetful
maybe try some supplements, ie omega 3 fatty acids or anything that helps the brain in any way.
maybe youre distracted by something? if you cant focus on one thing 100%, then you tend to forget most of the stuff that you study for
well that happened with me anyways.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
ssejamafone said:
Seriously, is something wrong with me? coz, i have such short-term memory that i can't even remember what a covalent bond is! (ok, that was kinda extreme, but you get my point).
Wouldn't covalent bonds be a long-term memory thing? Because you learnt it last year?

I sometimes forget what happened at recess by hometime, which is about a two hour time span. I forget most of the Economics formulae learnt this year but I remember all the Consumer Arithmetic learnt in year 9.

Try eating sufficiently and at the right times. Maybe work at a time that suits you best i.e, if you're not a night person, don't pull any all-nighters.

~untitled~

HSC
I tend to be able to remember things that happened months ago, yet not what happened today kinda thing... And can't really remember anything before when i was like 9.

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
Depends on what you mean by "normal", I guess >.>;

I'm kinda thinking I have selective memory rather than short term mem. Cos typically, I can't remember what I eat for breakkie unless someone asks me straight after I finish eating it. Yet, I can remember some of the stuff I learn from school. I remember once being able to remember every single bloody train station from Cronulla to Bondi Junc just from looking at the train map on a weekly basis x.x; (Hey, a ride from Cronulla to Bondi = Boredom, ok? >.<)

Maybe you just need to organise your time? Dunno, cos I ain't no doctor or anything :S

On a side note, you do remember something about module 1 of chem: Heat of solution XP

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
ssejamafone said:
I have a really, retarded memory. Like, i find it impossibly hard to remember things that happened the day before, let alone all the work that we have to memorise for the entire year.

yeah, i know that once i fully revise all my notes, then it'll all probly come back to me..... but, i just can't remember stuff we learnt at the beginning of yr 12. Like, for eg. In Chemistry, our first topic was.... see, i can't even remember!!!! oh yeah, it was... well... the one before acids and bases.... and what can i remember of that topic? NOTHING. I can't even remember the stupid title!!!! *breaks down and cries*

Is it just me, or does this happen to a lot of people? You know, like, not even remembering the name of a topic, let alone what it was about?

Ack! I can't even recall how to calculate heat of solution!!!!

ps. i'm not a lazy bum who does no work at all, and thus remembers nothing... i actually do really well in some of my subjects, especially biology... which is why i'm seriously worried, coz i can't remember anything!!!!
Sorry what did you just say? I think i remember you talking about a thread on an internet forum, but i got lost after that.

ps lol at MC sig

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Yeah, i guess i can get pretty distracted sometimes, and then i've paid completely no attention to what i'm doing/learning....

remembering covalent bonds would be long-term memory, yeah, but coz i can't remember them then i guess i have non existant long-term memory, or only short-term memory..... or maybe i'm just a reincarnated goldfish. *glub glub*

i guess i kinda have selective memory.... if 'selective' means not remembering school-related stuff. =P ... but, then again, i can't even remember non-school stuff..... well, could be hsc stress.... or i could be just retardedly, brain damaged...

ohwell, at least there are other people like me. ^^'

ps. MC roxorz my boxorz. lol

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
This is exactly what happens to me! Don't worry, I have the shittest memory and I do pretty well at school. Just concentrate harder, and revise more often.

yosemite sam

HSC
I do the same thing...i can't remember what i ate for dinner last night. Try revising your work really regularly in small amounts and then actively trying to remember what its about. Ask yourself, 'what is a convawhatsit bond?' (I dont do chem) and then if you cant remember, reread your notes and try again. do it allll the time.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
ssejamafone said:
Yeah, i guess i can get pretty distracted sometimes, and then i've paid completely no attention to what i'm doing/learning....

remembering covalent bonds would be long-term memory, yeah, but coz i can't remember them then i guess i have non existant long-term memory, or only short-term memory..... or maybe i'm just a reincarnated goldfish. *glub glub*

i guess i kinda have selective memory.... if 'selective' means not remembering school-related stuff. =P ... but, then again, i can't even remember non-school stuff..... well, could be hsc stress.... or i could be just retardedly, brain damaged...

ohwell, at least there are other people like me. ^^'

ps. MC roxorz my boxorz. lol
I was parodying your thread with my own memory loss.

Nub.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Juhu Ellen.Lou! :) Don't worry. It's you and me both. I haven't learnt anything at all since like 2 days ago..... And even then, i can't remember what exactly i was learning....

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
You most likely haven't had enough sleep.

Or you've watched too much TV. I read somewhere that TV shortens your memory span... maybe because you're conditioned to mentally switch off during advertisements or something (I never remember advertisements, even about a minute after I've seen them).

Or it could be your diet.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
hurikai said:
You most likely haven't had enough sleep.

Or you've watched too much TV. I read somewhere that TV shortens your memory span... maybe because you're conditioned to mentally switch off during advertisements or something (I never remember advertisements, even about a minute after I've seen them).

Or it could be your diet.
hmmmm..... well, considering i barely watch any TV at all, i kinda doubt that's a huge factor in my memory-loss. lol

i guess i could have a bit of improvement in my diet.... i don't eat all too many vegies.... yeah, i'm a bit of a carnivore.

but, sleep deprivation.... ack, i'm guilty. i actually never get enough sleep, espcecially on school nights... i usually sleep around 6 hours on a good school day, and maybe 7-8 hours in the hols.... i once got 1 hour of sleep on a school day/night (from 5am to 6am), but i had a bio assigment due that day.... which i had kinda left at the very last minute.... (yes, literally the very last minute) ^^' But i shall never do that again!

So, i'm thinking i should probly sleep more.... coz i've probly clocked up a lot of sleep debt. *yawn* maybe that's why i'm always so tired during school.... hmm....

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
I knew it.

Oh yeah, and drink lots of water.

btw, you spelt Mariah wrong. And she didn't actually say that, that quote was from a parody interview.

magpam said:
well someones lucky
:)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
hurikai said:
btw, you spelt Mariah wrong. And she didn't actually say that, that quote was from a parody interview.
oh. k, i stand corrected! ohwell.... she has now been replaced by a beautiful troll doll... :santa:

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
ssej dw !
you said you were doing well in bio didnt you ?
that requires crazy memory , or so I`ve heard =S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)