is taking 10 units stupid? (1 Viewer)

eilys close

HSC
I REALLY want to drop chem, but it means I'll only have 10 units for 2010 HSC. I do well in all my other subjects (within top ten) but chem is bad on so many levels for so many reasons. I can't take up Senior science because I'm doing Physics. But am I digging a hole by only doing 10 units?

Don't tell me to continue chem, and just try harder. Tht's not what I'm asking for. I am asking if having only 10 units is as trapping as they make it sound.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
No, many students (including myself) take 10 units.
If you're going very well in all your subjects (which it sounds like you are) and you're going terribly in chemistry, there's no point in continuing because you will clearly have to devote a lot of time to improve your marks and in the end it will probably not count towards your ATAR anyway.

Therefore, drop it.

speedofsound

HSC
no it's not stupid, it'll give you way more time to focus on the subjects you're good at.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Depends. If you're doing 10U cause your friends are - yes, that's stupid.

HSC
no it is not mainly because with 10 units you're able to utilise your free to work on the other subjects you have and there is no point keeping chem because it probably wont scale on top of your other subjects based on your current performance.

So if you don't like it drop it simple :)

EDIT: this is under the wrong forum

HSC
i personally wouldnt do it but its up to you i guess.
i need backup units though.

i also wouldnt go doing 13+ units either.
12 would be my max.
i did 11.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
It doesn't have to be a stupid decision if you make a conscious effort to use your free study periods to your advantage.

istudy

HSC
Hey i currently have 11 units
Studies of Religion being 1 unit, and i wanted to drop to catholic studies (non-atar). But since its too late and i cant drop it. Will SOR1 still be counted? But i can safely guarentee that all of my other subjects are better than SOR1.

So would anyone know if SOR1 will be counted in my ATAR?...and i know that i'll have to sit for the exam and during the exam should i just write nothing? =\

Please help me...:)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
10 units is fine, just make sure you use your extra time wisely to study for other subjects!

HSC
Studies of Religion being 1 unit, and i wanted to drop to catholic studies (non-atar). But since its too late and i cant drop it. Will SOR1 still be counted? But i can safely guarentee that all of my other subjects are better than SOR1.

So would anyone know if SOR1 will be counted in my ATAR?...and i know that i'll have to sit for the exam and during the exam should i just write nothing? =\

are you being serious?
writing nothing is the most pathetic thing i have ever heard.
SOR1 is the easiest subject to score marks in. never ever write nothing. you never know what marks you could get.

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
i really want to drop chem, but it means i'll only have 10 units for 2010 hsc. I do well in all my other subjects (within top ten) but chem is bad on so many levels for so many reasons. I can't take up senior science because i'm doing physics. But am i digging a hole by only doing 10 units?

Don't tell me to continue chem, and just try harder. Tht's not what i'm asking for. I am asking if having only 10 units is as trapping as they make it sound.
i do ten units tooo!!!

Finx

HSC
10 units is fine, just make sure you use your extra time wisely to study for other subjects!
+1, but its harder than it sounds.

There's literally no point in doing more than ten units. If you're an organised person, you shouldn't need backups. Though I believe its important to do as many units as possible in year 11 to find out which combination of 10 units will best suit you.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
anything more than 10 units is a bloody waste of time and stupid.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
anything more than 10 units is a bloody waste of time and stupid.
+1

But you have to be responsible and committed around assessments/study.

Hey, I did 10 units this year, despite my school's reluctance (and subsequent retaliation) and got dux. Go for it.

saberbladexx

HSC
I'm dropping maths because and doing 10u in the HSC aswell, i dont need maths for my uni course and its my worse subject by far and i know even if in a billionth chance i did bomb out maths wouldn't help.

So drop chem theres no point keeping, having free periods will be more beneficial.

lychnobity

HSC
I REALLY want to drop chem, but it means I'll only have 10 units for 2010 HSC. I do well in all my other subjects (within top ten) but chem is bad on so many levels for so many reasons. I can't take up Senior science because I'm doing Physics. But am I digging a hole by only doing 10 units?

Don't tell me to continue chem, and just try harder. Tht's not what I'm asking for. I am asking if having only 10 units is as trapping as they make it sound.
yes, you can.

But tbh, I'm doing 10 units atm (dropped physics), and I've never regretted. Back up subjects, imo, deter people from working to their best.

MzBiiBii

HSC

are you being serious?
writing nothing is the most pathetic thing i have ever heard.
SOR1 is the easiest subject to score marks in. never ever write nothing. you never know what marks you could get.
I agree. How could you not write anything? =/
You just never know how you'll perform with your other subjects!!

anndddd you don't want to regret anything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)