Is the federal Coalition government in decline: consequences? (1 Viewer)

Vahl

HSC
Given the whole host of events recently, from the Indonesia diplomatic 'crisis' - to the AWB 'scandal', the government is even starting to be portrayed as imperfect in the commercial media.

As people presumedly become more aware of the government's failures, and reflect on their past, previously ignored disasters, such as the Tampa incident, does it appear that the government is entering its demise.

If so, does it appear that the ALP is ready to take the reigns of government, or are they simply being propelled into government by the decline of support for the Liberal government. If labor isn't currently well led enough to govern Australia, what then are the potential consequences for Australia?

Please post your opinions, I'd love to see what you guys think about this one,

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
No.

Governments always get bad press, this is a rule of life.

It has not dented their popularity, at best (for the ALP) it keeps the ALP out of the spotlight - hardly a positive for them, just not a negative.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
AL-who?

No seriously, [unfortunately?] most Australians don't care about about our relationship with Indonesia just so long as they think they're getting good value for money on their mortgages.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
The government will definately lose power eventually like every other government in history. But unfortunately that time hasn't come yet.

HSC
You're right, but thinking the wrong way about it. Australians don't give a rats arse about Tampa.. or about AWB, but on other issues they do.. And yes, the liberals are starting to drop the ball, but they aren't to worried, do you know why? Because even if they do drop the ball, the ALP is nothing but a hard surface which bounces the ball back into their hands.

Look at the opposition?

Vahl3 said:
Given the whole host of events recently, from the Indonesia diplomatic 'crisis' - to the AWB 'scandal', the government is even starting to be portrayed as imperfect in the commercial media.

As people presumedly become more aware of the government's failures, and reflect on their past, previously ignored disasters, such as the Tampa incident, does it appear that the government is entering its demise.

If so, does it appear that the ALP is ready to take the reigns of government, or are they simply being propelled into government by the decline of support for the Liberal government. If labor isn't currently well led enough to govern Australia, what then are the potential consequences for Australia?

Last edited:

Vahl

HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
You're right, but thinking the wrong way about it. Australians don't give a rats arse about Tampa.. or about AWB, but on other issues they do.. And yes, the liberals are starting to drop the ball, but they aren't to worried, do you know why? Because even if they do drop the ball, the ALP is nothing but a hard surface which bounces the ball back into their hands.

Look at the opposition?
That's my thinking too.
*sighs*

I can't get over the stupidity of the Australian people... and that of the Australian Political parties :(

Generator

HSC
N/A
Vahl3 said:
I can't get over the stupidity of the Australian people... :(
In what way are they (no, we) stupid? Many are ignorant thanks to their political apathy, yes, but that isn't to say such people are necessarily stupid. Also, a number of people just happen to agree with the policies developed by the Coalition, and, however warped such policies may be in your mind, I fail to see how a difference in ideology is indicative of stupidity.

Oh, I should also add that political elitism is hardly going to help your cause - if you want a change to occur, I suggest that you engage rather than dismiss the silent and seemingly apathetic majority (or Howard's Battlers as they are now known).

Last edited:

volition

arr.
HSC
It seems that nobody cares enough about ministerial responsibility to kick howard out (ie. they'd rather a lying PM than beazley) :) At the moment, I think that the labor party doesn't have anything really significantly 'different enough and good' at the same time to warrant a change in government. They're even proposing things that they seem to think Australia wants (like the pr0n filter) but I really don't think that is the way they will get into power. The way they should be going about getting into power is really tackling these new IR reforms as well as finding a way to make the public care about what the government did with the AWB 'wheat for weapons' issue.

I think that the liberal party are somewhat lucky in that most people think "liberal or labor" and aren't really bothered to go and find other parties to vote for, seeing as I reckon a fair few people vote based on not wanting Beazley to be PM.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I contend that the oppositions biggest problem (as is the problem for all opposition) is that it fails to differentiate itself from the government, too much of the time it plays a 'me too' game.

The rest of the time it is simply reacting to the government in the form of knee-jerk responses of "bad for australia" etc.

It's challenge is to present a viable and credible alternative which means proposing its own innovative policies.

Unfortunately politics doesn't work like this, and because Iron is gallivanting in Sydney I will add what he would:

Elections are lost and won in the final week and are done so by pork barreling, after and before that point we simply don't care and are content for the government to do as it pleases and the opposition becomes a formality and a seat-warmer until next election.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
When ever Rudd gets up in parliament and asks the coalition the same question with different wording, over and over and over again.. People don't watch that and think "yes! go rudd! he's sticking up for Australians!" they think "you're an idiot. Go home."
You don't speak for the people. You may think the latter, but in my opinion Rudd does a fine job as opposition spokesman for Foreign Affairs.

_dhj_ said:
The government will definately lose power eventually like every other government in history. But unfortunately that time hasn't come yet.
Well that's a stupid statement. 'Governments lose power eventually', what a revelation. How about a more meaningful contribution next time?

Vahl3 said:

I enjoy Oakes' commentary

Laurie Oakes said:
It's now apparent that the appearance of Howard, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer and Trade Minister Mark Vaile before the Commission of Inquiry into the scandal has hurt the government in another way, too.

All the evasions — "I do not recall", "I do not believe I was told", "I have no specific recollection" — that bolstered their Sergeant Schultz "I know nothing" defence have made them the butt of jokes.

Take the Prime Minister's interview on Perth radio the other day. "Mr Vaile's memory seems to have gone walkabout," said the interviewer. "He couldn't remember 44 times in 87 minutes. Will he be seeking medical help for that?"

That is the kind of thing you hear people chuckling over in taxis, in pubs, in the street.

When voters start laughing at them, Howard and Co. have reason to be worried. Ridicule can be devastating in politics.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Anti-Mathmite said:
Laurie Oakes? Is he that guy who had confidence in Latham and his election campaign?

Oh, right then...

You, along with "Laurie Oakes" AND the ALP, are all hasbeens. You need to understand that you look retarded at the moment. Australians dont have a taste for you anymore. You need to either adapt, or continue losing.

oh come on! The guy's an idiot! I can assure that not many Australians look at Rudd and think "yep, he's good, i wouldn't mind having him as my minister for foreign affairs". If they do, they are idiot just like you. In the same 'sense' that is, not just an idiot for the sake of insult.
I don't think I've ever read something you've written which has any real evidence, logic, or cohesion in it. Never.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Laurie Oakes? Is he that guy who had confidence in Latham and his election campaign?

Oh, right then...

You, along with "Laurie Oakes" AND the ALP, are all hasbeens. You need to understand that you look retarded at the moment. Australians dont have a taste for you anymore. You need to either adapt, or continue losing.

oh come on! The guy's an idiot! I can assure that not many Australians look at Rudd and think "yep, he's good, i wouldn't mind having him as my minister for foreign affairs". If they do, they are idiot just like you. In the same 'sense' that is, not just an idiot for the sake of insult.
rudd is spastic seems so dull and gloomy. get some lively there. it look slike the ALP is depressed, lol they themselves to blame. kim beazley needs to work harder, start by taking walks daily.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:

Oh, right then...

You don't know who Laurie Oakes is, yet you profess yourself as the people's voice as though you command their opinion. With your credibility, I can claim that the majority of Australians love Rudd and adorn their door frames with his portrait.

You think Australians embrace Downer?

Oakes is the chief political correspondant for Channel Nine and writes a weekly column for The Bulletin, one of the most commanding national political magazines.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm going to say yes, but for different reasons to how the question was intended. I think within the next 10 years we'll see the National party lose the rest of its voter base and just amalgamate with the Liberals.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Rudd is an idiot. He speaks in a near monotone, in his same smug voice, all the time, and concentrates on an issue that he thinks people care about. They don't.
they need to get rid of him. also the alp needs to do somethin radical, like strip naked and walk in canberra something to get some srs attention. cos howard has got the skillz to get attention - simply by saying 'i dont remember'. him downer and abbot know whats going on . but beazely whats comment o nthe solomon crisis - 'its too late'. thats no the approach, the approach should have been ' the government should have done this and that and we need to do this'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)