Is there other people like me? (1 Viewer)

Underachiever

I was going great in English from 7-10, in Advanced, but this year there are Standard English kids beating me in assessments. They get told how to think in accordance with the markers (Standard English teachers), the other advanced kids are auto-programmed to think the same way, but I come up with something different but still plausible, I get nothing. My teacher and the English Co-Ordinator think the problem is my timing (partly true), but my last year's teacher says that it is because I am too creative. She said that was the reason why I am going bad in Advanced but good in Extension 1, and why I should do Extension 2.

Anyone else in the same boat and think that Advanced English is too rigid? I feel sick in the stomach everytime I have to go to English.

Jakaveli

I have had the same problem... i owned yr 10 english. its not my assesments that i suck at though its exams... i failed my half yearly. hopefuly things are looking up in my trial...

i blame it on the fact that it is no longer the mechanics of english... know what i mean

Yami

I think many of the modules of English are kind of messed up. I mean, speeches is good when you are doing an assessment task on them but an exam is a whole new ball game. I had to remember all the speeches in my damn booklet because our teacher hinted that one of them would be featured in the exam (and she didn't tell us which one). That's stupid. They're testing your memory, not skills.

aussiechica

Yeah- Im in the same boat. I was topping it from 7-10, and now Im just middling.
I reckon the main reason at my school is that all the latent smart people have woken up to reality and are working 10x harder
+ all the things you guys already said.

my last year's teacher says that it is because I am too creative
You can never be too creative. I mean, there is a difference between creative and batty (Im not saying youre batty, its just that at my school there was an incident where a friend of mine was being 'creative', but was just not doing what the question asked off her- it happens).
But if you are truely creative, just remember- stay that way. the world needs more creative ppl, dont let the HSC beat it out of you, okay?
If it werent for creative ppl like yourself, there would only be regurgitated, middling books and tv shows and films etc so DONT LET THEM BEAT IT OUT OF YOU! PROMISE ME!
luck for the HSC dude!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
omg, some people like me. i think i'll end up with a just above average rank, and i've always had good ranks.
i think it sucks that yr 7-11 counts for nothing! i mean, all that hard work, and great marks, to do crap in the year that counts???

Originally posted by Underachiever
I feel sick in the stomach everytime I have to go to English.
don't! another part of the problem might be that now u have low self esteem in english! i know what it feels like, and i am yet to come up with a way to get the esteem back up there, but i know i need to to go well.

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
i think why ppl go ppl, like me go crap in yr 12 in comparison in yr 11 is czo u have 1 know stuff. Think bak 2 the school certifcate u just had 2 go in the room and make it up on the day whereas now u have 2 actually do work! bring bak yr 10 i did shit all that year and ended up getting 95 in the exam!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Don't stress- what other subjects are you doing / considering doing?

The way I worked around the really boring aspects of Adv English was to focus more on the more interesting topics in Ext 1 and my MW in Ext 2, and to just do what I'm told in Advanced. It's not hard to learn a formula for English assessments.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
I tend to have the impression that I need to put in much more effort into Advanced than Extension 1 and 2. Extension 1 for me is kinda like a bludge.

Rahul

Dead Member
if u do ext2 eng, then if ur ext1 and ext2 marks are better than ur advanced mark, it wont count towards ur UAI.
only ur best two units of english count, they can be either 2 of the 4. :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ok after my trial marks i can say i totally agree with the subject of this thread!

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
well last year i got overall 85% in english and i came second in my class... i think 5th overall..... this year i have about 85% so far (not counting the trial cause havent got it back) and I am 4th in my class and probably like 15/75 overall....... so basically its that people are waking up to themselves and actually putting effort in and hence adding more competition

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
if u do ext2 eng, then if ur ext1 and ext2 marks are better than ur advanced mark, it wont count towards ur UAI.
only ur best two units of english count, they can be either 2 of the 4. :)
yes but some people may still only have 10 or 11 units and therefore advanced WILL count

veg

ahhh, i so understand. standard ppl do exactly the same as advanced people in area of study. dun get it.

starlyte

i know what ur talking about, i wish ppl told me this in yr 10 when i picked my subjects, so i couldve picked up stuff like ext 2. Advanced is just plain hard and boring and with a bad teacher, it just screwed me over. and the prob is that i wasnt really ever taught how to write essays, and they just presume u know in high school. its a load of shit and they need to fix the whole syllabus up!!! (can u not tell im having a hissy fit?!?!?!)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
For my half yearly, l had one person beat me from standard.... l don't know if he's doing advanced next year or not.

Melanie Jane

Originally posted by starlyte
the prob is that i wasnt really ever taught how to write essays, and they just presume u know in high school.
I hate that. It happens in many other area's too, not just in English Adv. :(

young_gurl

whats the difference between doing change in advanced and standard do they mark us on the same criteria?!...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)