• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is there really any point in going to lectures and workshops? (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I find that there is basically no point in turning up to lectures and workshops because they are just going through what is already in the textbook. Plus, it is so hard to try and keep your attention in lectures if you are really tired, my mind just starts to wander and all of a sudden I realise I have missed ten minutes of the lecture:rolleyes:.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Why sleep in a bed when you could just use the car?

Of course you go to the lectures. Not going is the most idiotic thing you could do. Not every course follows a textbook.

This post is quite direct, but it had to be posted at some stage.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
Why sleep in a bed when you could just use the car?

Of course you go to the lectures. Not going is the most idiotic thing you could do. Not every course follows a textbook.

This post is quite direct, but it had to be posted at some stage.
All of my courses are pretty much directly following the textbook:).

Generator

HSC
N/A
That does not mean that you have no reason to attend each lecture. Do you really think that an academic staff member would waste their time with a lecture if everything of value could be learnt from a book?

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
That does not mean that you have no reason to attend each lecture. Do you really think that an academic staff member would waste their time with a lecture if everything of value could be learnt from a book?
No, but I think that the lecturers run lectures for people who don't read their textbook and just want to do the bare minimum, by turning up to lectures and listening to the summaries that the lecturers have prepared:). I also think that they are designed for people who may not pick up a new concept when they read the textbook. The lecturer may put the explanation a different way, which may just be easier for the person to understand. However, there are always tutorials to do this:).

suz

HSC
If i were you I would go, I know they are boring and repetitive but repetition can be a good thing
I kind of fall asleep too, but hey what can you do........

kaseita

go for the first few lectures, to make sure they are following the textbook pretty much, and then stop going.
then attend the lectures that summarise a topic, or the few lectures before an exam, and u should be cool :)

make sure ur studying the textbook though.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by kaseita
go for the first few lectures, to make sure they are following the textbook pretty much, and then stop going.
then attend the lectures that summarise a topic, or the few lectures before an exam, and u should be cool :)

make sure ur studying the textbook though.
That is exactly what I am thinking of doing:).

Generator

HSC
N/A
No... In general, the lecture material is the primary source of information for each course, with the textbook being a supplement. Do not devalue the lecturer/s and their course by thinking that they are merely providing a summary for a textbook.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
I find that there is basically no point in turning up to lectures and workshops because they are just going through what is already in the textbook. Plus, it is so hard to try and keep your attention in lectures if you are really tired, my mind just starts to wander and all of a sudden I realise I have missed ten minutes of the lecture:rolleyes:.
I'm pretty sure every university has the policy that all students must turn up to lectures. Always go to your lectures.

Also, if you know you're going to miss one, tell your lecturer beforehand, so if you have any questions catching up with what was done the week before, you've told your lecturer about your being unable to attend so s/he shouldn't snob you off for missing the lecture.

As Generator said, don't treat your textbook as the subject's bible. Lecturers may change some things, offer better explainations, skip entire sections etc.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
look lectures are good coz they show u what u need to learn and what u don't...also they'll provide u wif stuff that u can't find on ya textbooks as well!

HSC
Ive already skipped about 4... and plan on skipping many more!

Lectures are fucking shit...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think you should go. you never know what you will miss out on. and for my subjetcs it is as statesd above - text is just a supplemnt to what they are talking about. not like school where the text was made for the course and all ppl had to learn the course.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
i dont see the money
lol
im gonna leave australia when i finish uni
coz when u go overseas to work
then u dont hafto pay back hecs
and i'll never come back
mueahheeheah

btw if i dont goto my lectures i'll only have 6 hours of uni per week
alright !!!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Dingo2004
i dont see the money
lol
im gonna leave australia when i finish uni
coz when u go overseas to work
then u dont hafto pay back hecs
and i'll never come back
mueahheeheah...
in that case, u have no reasons to go to any of the lectures! :p

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Originally posted by poloktim
I'm pretty sure every university has the policy that all students must turn up to lectures. Always go to your lectures.
Not UNSW. They tell you that you don't have to go though of course it is recommended that you do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)