Is this in the syllabus? - SPACE- (1 Viewer)

wb47

HSC
Hello Everyone,

I was working through Success One HSC 2011, and i have a question on Space - Projectile motion,

How do you derive this equation (as its not in the formulae sheet):

R = (u^2 sin2θ)/g

R is horizontal distance travelled.

Thank You!

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Hello Everyone,

I was working through Success One HSC 2011, and i have a question on Space - Projectile motion,

R = (u^2 sin2θ)/g

Thank You!

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
You would never have to derive this in HSC Physics, however, it is useful to commit to memory, as it can prove very useful in some questions, rather than going through 3 steps to determine range, you simply plug numbers into the formula. If you do advanced mathematics, it shouldbe familiar to you anyway.
There was a 4 mark question in a HSC paper (maybe about 6-7 years ago) in which if you used this equation it wouldve taken you 5 seconds to solve, whereas with physics equations, it would have taken you 5 mins.

taeyang

HSC
Hello Everyone,

R = (u^2 sin2θ)/g

Thank You!
It's targeted at more mathematics 2u and above students because people who don't do this do not know 2sinxcosx = sin2x. So no, they don't expect you to derive it, it just makes things easier and shows you know what your doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)