Is this possible in the HSC? (1 Viewer)

topdeck

HSC
Ok so i had my ancient history trial this morning and i open the paper and find these two questions from Pompeii staring at me:

1) What was the name of Strabo's book? (1 mark)
2) According to a 64BC inscription which emperor restored the Temple of the Mother God at Pompeii? (2 marks)

Only thing is, THERE ARE NO SOURCES PROVIDED.

Can they actually do that to you in the HSC? like ask you really obscure questions without providing any actual source to interpret?

Any answers would be much appreciated! Thanks

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
dat202hoe said:
If it's not in the syllabus, they can't ask it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
mmm but it could relate
even if not stated specifically
i think

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
topdeck said:
Ok so i had my ancient history trial this morning and i open the paper and find these two questions from Pompeii staring at me:

1) What was the name of Strabo's book? (1 mark)
2) According to a 64BC inscription which emperor restored the Temple of the Mother God at Pompeii? (2 marks)

Only thing is, THERE ARE NO SOURCES PROVIDED.

Can they actually do that to you in the HSC? like ask you really obscure questions without providing any actual source to interpret?

Any answers would be much appreciated! Thanks
I was talking to my teacher the other day about something like this, he said its highly unlikely, but possible. Most past Ancient HSC papers ive looked over are nothing like that, so im guessing your school just bought particularly rigorous trial exams.

topdeck

HSC
Exphate said:
So, basically, you haven't studied, thus assume it's not in the syllabus?

quote]

Actually, i did study. I studied the sources back the front, and i know that sources are part of the syllabus, but i didn't think they would ask such obscure questions. so that if they'd asked something like "outline the nature and usefulness of sources available to historians studying Pompeii" i could answer that perfectly, but what is the relevance of the name of Strabo's book? If they asked, "why is strabo a usefull source?" then i could answer that, but this just seems completley inane.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
So, basically, you haven't studied, thus assume it's not in the syllabus?

There are no sources needed for this, because these are cheap marks.

What is the name of strabos b00k
x

What emporer restored the temple
x.

Where do sources come into it?

These aren't specified in the syllabus. The syllabus is far more general than knowing these sorts of specific details.

If the school doesn't teach these specific sources then it would be difficult for the students.

The expectation is that for the Pom and Herc questions there will be sources as the syllabus describes the Pom and Herc question as follows:

"Section I: Core Study: Cities of Vesuvius – Pompeii and Herculaneum (25 marks)

• There will be three short-answer questions related to the source material provided, which will consist of at least three sources:
– Question 1 will require students to extract relevant information from some or all of the sources in context. This question may contain a number of parts.
– Question 2 will require students to use sources and apply their own knowledge to reconstruct aspects of life in Pompeii and Herculaneum.
– Question 3 will require students to refer to sources and apply their own knowledge to issues of investigating, reconstructing and preserving the past and related ethical issues.
• Candidates must attempt all questions." http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/ancient_history_stg6_04.doc

For each Question in this section the expectation is that there will be sources from which to extract information - in the same way as the Core in Modern History has an expectation of sources.

Dr.Chau

Banned
HSC
cem said:
These aren't specified in the syllabus. The syllabus is far more general than knowing these sorts of specific details.

If the school doesn't teach these specific sources then it would be difficult for the students.

The expectation is that for the Pom and Herc questions there will be sources as the syllabus describes the Pom and Herc question as follows:

"Section I: Core Study: Cities of Vesuvius – Pompeii and Herculaneum (25 marks)

• There will be three short-answer questions related to the source material provided, which will consist of at least three sources:
– Question 1 will require students to extract relevant information from some or all of the sources in context. This question may contain a number of parts.
– Question 2 will require students to use sources and apply their own knowledge to reconstruct aspects of life in Pompeii and Herculaneum.
– Question 3 will require students to refer to sources and apply their own knowledge to issues of investigating, reconstructing and preserving the past and related ethical issues.
• Candidates must attempt all questions." http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/ancient_history_stg6_04.doc

For each Question in this section the expectation is that there will be sources from which to extract information - in the same way as the Core in Modern History has an expectation of sources.
You seem to know quite a bit. Are you a teacher?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Dr.Chau said:
You seem to know quite a bit. Are you a teacher?

Yes I am - I teach both Modern and Ancient History and mark Modern History and have done so since 1992.

X

xeuyrawp

Blah blah blah...

To cut to the chase, Exphate's right - these are easy-mark questions. Sometimes you actually do have to sit down and learn some things by rote or whatever method suits you.

You've got to of course prepare yourself for the worst but also look at past papers, chat with your teacher, etc, and find out what are the things you need to know. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)