Is This True?? (1 Viewer)

blonde_auspo

HSC
Hey guys
Today in legal my teacher told my class that if we do general maths and stan. English that it would bring my ATAR down...? I really wanna know if this is true because i'm really worried... :spzz:

HSC
Just perform well above the average and you'll be fine. Stay in at least top 2/3

snazzshazz

HSC
hmm i don't think it is true, i don't think it's the subjects that bring you down or up, it's how well you do in them.
so if you ace those subjects and you're able to do above average in them, you should be fine. don't listen to you're teacher, you'd think she'd know better than to tell you that!

ilikebeeef

HSC
Hey guys
Today in legal my teacher told my class that if we do general maths and stan. English that it would bring my ATAR down...? I really wanna know if this is true because i'm really worried... :spzz:
It is true in most cases, unless you perform exceptionally well at these subjects (but then, if you are excellent at them, you should do at least Advanced to increase your chances of getting a band 6).

Last edited:

Klutsov

HSC
It is true in most cases, unless you perform exceptionally well at these subjects (but then, if you are excellent at them, you should do at least Advanced to increase your chances of getting a band 6).
Exactly

If you do well in them, scaling WILL NOT affect you

hscishard

HSC
Statistically, they both scale extremely bad. But meh, you'll prob only lose 1 "point" atar tops if you do well in both of them. :). So study hard!

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
no, thats bull.
i know someone who did 5 unit history and 4 unit english and another subject, and ended up with an atar of like 60.
cos she stuffed up her last subject.
just do really well in it.
if you're like top 10, you'll probably do better than those in the middle of advanced english.

pman

Banned
HSC
its not completly false!.....if you get 100% in either, you'd be better doing the other...otherwise you won't lose many marks

ilikebeeef

HSC
no, thats bull.
i know someone who did 5 unit history and 4 unit english and another subject, and ended up with an atar of like 60.
cos she stuffed up her last subject.
just do really well in it.
if you're like top 10, you'll probably do better than those in the middle of advanced english.
That has nothing to do with General Maths and Standard English. Just because that person did poorly in 5 unit History and 4 unit English does not mean that General Maths and Standard English won't be scaled down for others.

It is hard to get a state ranking for any HSC course, even in General Maths and Standard English as you will have to compete with many people. You're also more likely to rank slightly lower in the Advanced courses and still get marks just as good as being in the top 10 for the Standard courses.

jeshxcore

HSC
no, she did really well in 4 u english and history, but stuffed up her last subject. so it kinda proves that just because you do a 'better' scaling subject, it doesnt mean your atar will be excellent.
i had a friend who gunned standard english and got a better atar..
so yeah, .. just do your best in standard.. try to top your grade in the course?
or you could drop from advanced to standard at beginning of year 12 i guess?

Last edited:

ilikebeeef

HSC
no, she did really well in 4 u english and history, but stuffed up her last subject. so it kinda proves that just because you do a high scaling subject, doesnt mean your atar will be excellent.
Yes, just because you do a high scaling subject doesn't mean your atar will be excellent, that is correct. But my point is, that doesn't mean that it's easier to get excellent ATAR with subjects that scale down. In fact, it is a lot harder to go down the path of trying to get state rankings in the Standard courses than to do decently in the Advanced course, as they both get similar results in the end.

Last edited:

Bilama

HSC
Hey guys
yo relaxx
like the others have said, just do really, really well in both...and youll get good ATAR...well if your other subs are good too:p

jeshxcore

HSC
that is true.. but i can't do advanced.. lol my tutor suggested me not to do advanced..because i have a better chance at doing well in standard, than being in the middle/bottom of advanced.. infact, i'm sure my tutor works at your school :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
+1

Exactly

If you do well in them, scaling WILL NOT affect you
Incorrect.

Scaling will ALWAYS affect you, but when you're talking about low/bad scaling subjects the better your marks, the less they're affected/dragged down.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Well... standard english does scale incredibly shittily and will severely reduce your chances of getting a band 6. Just like in mathematics where most of the band 6's are held by the ext 1 people, most of the band 6's are held by the advanced people in english. That's the way life goes. You'll just have to try and reduce the damage.

ilikebeeef

HSC
that is true.. but i can't do advanced.. lol my tutor suggested me not to do advanced..because i have a better chance at doing well in standard, than being in the middle/bottom of advanced.. infact, i'm sure my tutor works at your school :)
Who is your tutor?

English Advanced is compulsory at my school whether or not the students are bad at English. Yes, you have a better chance of ranking well in Standard than in English Advanced, but bear in mind that they do align differently. Only the top 0.06% of Standard students get band 6. The teachers at my school afaik are really supportive of people doing even Extension English, when we were in Year 10, the head teacher even spent one lesson telling us the pros of doing it o_O lol.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Well... standard english does scale incredibly shittily and will severely reduce your chances of getting a band 6. Just like in mathematics where most of the band 6's are held by the ext 1 people, most of the band 6's are held by the advanced people in english. That's the way life goes. You'll just have to try and reduce the damage.
Incorrect. Advanced and standard scaling are the same, they are infact considered the same subject during the scaling process.

And it's not exactly "just like" how it works for maths. It just happens that the 3U people usually have more potential than the 2U people but seeing as they sit the same 2U exam they will obviously get more band 6s. 3U is not aligned based on the common 2U paper.

However, with standard and advanced english the aligning is based on the common English Paper 1 exam.

Also note that scaling has nothing to do with what band you get. If you think it does, do some more research :)

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Incorrect. Advanced and standard scaling are the same, they are infact considered the same subject during the scaling process.

And it's not exactly "just like" how it works for maths. It just happens that the 3U people usually have more potential than the 2U people but seeing as they sit the same 2U exam they will obviously get more band 6s. 3U is not aligned based on the common 2U paper.

However, with standard and advanced english the aligning is based on the common English Paper 1 exam.

Also note that scaling has nothing to do with what band you get. If you think it does, do some more research :)
Yeah, I know scaling has no effect on bands. I was just a bit lazy with my sentences, whoops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)