Is this true? (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Another way of explaining it is to realise that the places are allocated from the top ATARs down so the 99.95 are allocated to their first preference.

Then the 99.9s are allocated.

So assume that one course is really popular with only 50 places and that 50 or the students with ATAR's of 99.9 or 99.95 apply for that course then the cut-off is 99.9.

So if a student with an ATAR of 99.6 also wanted that course they are out of luck as all the places have been filled. When UAC gets that that student they ignore their first preference simply because that is no longer available and treat their 2nd preference as their 1st and allocate them to the course they have as their second preference, assuming that their are vacancies in that course.

If a person's first preference is full UAC gives them their second. If their first five preferences are all full when UAC reach their ATAR they will allocate them to their 6th.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi,

Having a course as your 6th preference when someone else has it as there 1st preference does not disadvantage you in anyway. The only difference is that if someone has a course as their 1st preference, and they meet the cut-off, they will straight away receive an offer.

Whereas if you have the course as your 6th preference, and you meet the ATAR cut-off for one of your first five preferences, then you will receive an offer for that preference and UAC will not look at your 6th preference simply because you are eligible for an offer into a higher preference.

However, if you did not meet the ATAR cut-offs into the first 5 preferences, but you did for your 6th preference, then you would receive an offer for your 6th preference.

For further clarification, please contact UAC on 9752 0200.

Best regards, UWS Course Info.

addoil

HSC
Just read the above comments and wanted to confirm if this is what happens?

1. Preferences applications close
2. They're processed and 'somehow' the universities come up with cut-offs depending on demand and ATARs of students who applied for the course
3. Main round offers + cut offs published (btw why do they publish main round offers in the newspaper? is it like publishing HSC all rounders/DA?)
4. If you don't get your desired main round then you tweak your preferences and the first preference that meets the atar req. will be offered in the late round?
5. Same goes for final round?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Just read the above comments and wanted to confirm if this is what happens?

1. Preferences applications close
2. They're processed and 'somehow' the universities come up with cut-offs depending on demand and ATARs of students who applied for the course
3. Main round offers + cut offs published (btw why do they publish main round offers in the newspaper? is it like publishing HSC all rounders/DA?)
4. If you don't get your desired main round then you tweak your preferences and the first preference that meets the atar req. will be offered in the late round?
5. Same goes for final round?
Pretty much. The universities used to have a set number of places - say... 100 for my course two years ago - and then... yeah. But apparently they're uncapped now so... who knows.

And for 4, the main round also goes through all your preferences. Not sure if that was clear in your post.

get_back23

HSC
Cool.

It just came to me when he told me.

My first perference is a 88.25 ATAR cut off (Economics + Applied Finance). Fingers cross i get it
Just wondering, is the applied finance at macquarie? or is there another uni that offer the degree?

D94

HSC
N/A
UAC looks at all your preferences. If you don't get preference 1, then they look at preference 2. If you don't get preference 2, then they look at 3, and so on. This is essentially why you should place them is your desired order.

H

helan007

I think yes- You wont get any other offers?
because all the pots may be taken by everyone else then.

x3Reii

HSC
Wait what? I dont understand your question. And I didn't read through the thread so someone else might have said something.

Anyways, you get offered on your FIRST preference IF you make the ATAR cutoff. All your other preferences after that are void. The uni doesn't discriminate on whether you put the course as your first preference or your 8th preference, as long as you make the ATAR cutoff you will be offered a place irrespective of the position of preference (assuming that you do not make the ATAR cutoff of the preferences before it).

Ok I know that sounds really confusing. This is the way UAC works.

Example.
I put B of Economics as my FIRST preference. The course has a cutoff of 95 and I get 97. I will then get offered for B of Economics and all my preferences after that will be ignored EVEN if I put B of Advanced science as my SECOND preference at that has cutoff of 96, I'd still get offered the B of economics because I put that as my FIRST preference. This is why you should always put what you want to do as your first preference even if you think you won't get the required ATAR for it.

Ok now. Say I put B of Medicine at four different unis as my first, second, third and fourth preference. Each requiring an ATAR higher than 98. Now I put B of Economics as my 5th preference and I achieve an ATAR of 97. Then I would NOT get offered my first, second, third or fourth preference because I did not make that ATAR cutoff. I would then get offered the B of Economics. Ok say my friend over here got an ATAR of 95.5 and he put B of Economics as his first preference, he would also get offered because he achieved the cutoff ATAR.

I hope the clears it up. I know its really confusing. But just know that its really based on your ATARS not what you put as your first or 5th preference. Just put what you want to do as your first preference and then what you want to do next as your second and you'll be fine. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)