Is UNSW best for the B Commerce course? (1 Viewer)

Shawny

fuk me
ur saying 57 of UNSW got into the big 4 for 2004

in other words
i think roughly 1.2k graduate per yr and only 57 get into a top tier firm
so 5.7%

lol

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Those figures are from 2 years ago mind you... in the latest CFO magazine (ie. October 2005) PwC say they recruit 450-500 graduates per year; so I think times may have changed.

Last edited:

Shawny

thats across australia rite?

still dont see how 2 yrs makes PWC wanna suddenly recruit like 10times more people

i mean its not like its a generational thing and i dont think harmonisation has brought about a massive upsurge in demand for accting grads

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Shawny said:
fuk me
ur saying 57 of UNSW got into the big 4 for 2004

in other words
i think roughly 1.2k graduate per yr and only 57 get into a top tier firm
so 5.7%

lol
You must remember it is pretty competitive.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'll quote from CFO article- don't forget in the last few years PwC has grown (10% in the last 12 mths for example), and there's a shortage of good accountants out there..

"The firm hires 450-500 graduates a year; of the recruitment offers it makes at that level, about 85% are accepted."

PeT_peT

HSC
There's 12000 commerce graduate every yr from UNSw? :rolleyes:

bt newai...commerce @ UNSW is undoubtedly de best!!!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe it's across all the divisions... I guess grad recruitment is where most ppl start their career in PwC isn't it?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
PeT_peT said:
There's 12000 commerce graduate every yr from UNSw? :rolleyes:

bt newai...commerce @ UNSW is undoubtedly de best!!!
He said "1.2k", not "12k"

And i would think theres more than 1200 comm grad's per year. I mean, ~550 belong to accounting, and you got plenty of other disciplines...oh...so yeh, its more like 57/550 ..10%

oh, those musta been deloite wannabes i saw on the bus...not cadets...wots the go with showing off big4 merchandise anyway..

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
*cough* I was very proud of my Deloitte hat (and various other merchandise) they gave me after work exp =P

[edit] Maybe proud isn't the best word... but I like collecting stuff^^ But those people may have been cadets~ I'm pretty sure they stopped the program in 03, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
seremify007 said:
*cough* I was very proud of my Deloitte hat (and various other merchandise) they gave me after work exp =P

[edit] Maybe proud isn't the best word... but I like collecting stuff^^ But those people may have been cadets~ I'm pretty sure they stopped the program in 03, but I could be wrong.
haha
well, i must say i've got a deloitte badge and a drawful of pens and highlighters from all those accting firms that they hand out at those events.
my fav has to be the pkf laser light...

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Grizzly said:
oh, those musta been deloite wannabes i saw on the bus...not cadets...wots the go with showing off big4 merchandise anyway..
Hi Grizzly, you prolly saw me on the bus. I have heaps of Deloitte merchandise: backpacks, penci lcases, umbrella, phone charger, etc. I got some of it on the co-op site visit and stacks more when I did winter vac work there. Its heaps cool, Deloitte is really generous with free merchandise.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Grizzly said:
haha
well, i must say i've got a deloitte badge and a drawful of pens and highlighters from all those accting firms that they hand out at those events.
my fav has to be the pkf laser light...
Damn! That's sick... I've got the PKF mini radio & the EY pedometer though. Btw to the guy who has the Deloitte phone charger- that's pretty cool~ I remember at Deloitte I saw them have this merchandise thing which looked like a plastic business card (it was a bit thicker) and it was a pocket-LAN cable (like you could stretch the ends and it'd work as a LAN cable)... For some reason- that made me go "wow" (at the time!)

Stationery-wise, I thought it was funny with cadetship evenings that different firms had identical pens (obviously used same manufacturer!)... but they were pretty nice. I liked the KPMG/Moore Stephens thick blue pen... also have a Deloitte grad pen which is really heavy to use. The EY pen looked really 'techy' (red with silver clip). The KPMG mini highlighters were also really cool... *can't remember any other stationery now*... I put it all in a box and gave it to my Mum to use.

As for other merchandise... my friend has the KPMG business card holder (those silvery flicky things which pop out a business card) and apparently in the past KPMG gave out iPods (for new employees). Atm I have the PwC drink bottle & towel.

I can't believe I just spent a whole post talking about accounting firm merchandise >_>

Last edited:

jonathan__

HSC
This may seem unrelated to the stuff u guys r talking bout but how many days a week do ppl attend uni for the first year?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
it depends on the degree but i assume you're talking about b comm since you're posting in this thread. from what I hear, including my own hours, its about 12-14 hours a week if you attend all classes. approx 2 lectures and a tute for each subject (4)

ks21

HSC
most of the commerce stuff is all on webct, i dont bother going to lectures, but u should go to tutorials (prob 4-5 hrs a week). But yeh, including lectures prob around 15 hrs a week.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
ks21 said:
most of the commerce stuff is all on webct, i dont bother going to lectures, but u should go to tutorials (prob 4-5 hrs a week). But yeh, including lectures prob around 15 hrs a week.
Yeah lectures are pretty boring, but dont miss too many tutes because you fall really far behind when you do!

In first year I did 3 days a week, with around 4.5 hours a day.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst on the topic, can someone give me a quick summary of what tute/lectures are like, how long they are, and how often they are?... I'm intending to attend what I can, but was wondering if I'd lose out much if I ... *cough* was sick?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
lectures are either 1 hr long (2 or 3 times a week) or 2 hrs straight once a week

tutes are an hr long for an hr a week for each subject (sometimes, 2 hours a week)

you can usually skip a few lectures but it really depends on the subject. If the lecturer is good then you for an understanding on content. It they suck and you judge it as truly useless, then common sense, just dont go

tutes often have attendance requirements so u had better go. I used to think that tutes were the "useful" learning times but often i apply the same judgement to tutes as to lectures. They areally are a waste of time somtiems if the tutor sucks and it might not be so productive. remember attendance requirements however

as for what you do in lecs and tutes...

lecs = one person talking for an hr or so on the topic of the day usually with overheads or a PPT presentation

tutes = a small group from about 10-25 discussing readings, going through tute q's and going over content among other things liike assignment presentations etc

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Langrepa said:
I am a yr 12 student, and Im wondering which uni has the best, or is known to have the best commerce course? I also heard that UNSW is better because the building for the commerce faculty is like right in the middle of the uni, whereas USYD has there faculty on the outside on the other road. Whats the course like here guys??
Guess what unis raped UNSW in the Times Ranking? Gogo flame war..

Sarah

HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
Whilst on the topic, can someone give me a quick summary of what tute/lectures are like, how long they are, and how often they are?... I'm intending to attend what I can, but was wondering if I'd lose out much if I ... *cough* was sick?
Lectures aren't compulsory. They usually range from 1hr, 1.5 or 2 hrs long. Likewise tutes. From past experience, if you find yourself falling asleep in lectures, it's probably best to give it a miss and do something more productive or at least something more interesting that will keep you awake.

Keep in mind, not all courses will have lecture notes posted online and even though some courses might, the notes may be too brief that you'll need to attend the lecture anyway.

Tutes can be good and bad. If you actually do your tute work before your tute, you'll have an idea of what's happening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)