Is UWS really as bad as everyone gives it credit for?? (1 Viewer)

Rohanco

HSC
Sorry for a snowy sounding question, i promise Im not as pretentious as i sound here. But lately ive heard that Uws has actually been improving alto over the last few years, despite the fact that their atar cut offs still remain low. Also I heard that their new med course is actually really good, better than most in Australia, and its cutoff seems to jump 2 points every year which is incredible.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
ATAR cut offs reflect demand, not how good the course is.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Probably because they can get into what is perceived as a better university. Or other reasons like, "It's UWS - I'd rather do Arts at ___ and transfer into what I want there" or "UWS no offer course i like :( " or something...

Personally, I wouldn't really like to go to UWS... it gives me a high school feel. Doesn't feel like a ~university~.

M

MichelleV

This is true.

With UWS people do have the perception that because it has a lower ATAR then is must be worse than at another university with a higher ATAR. Therefore they won't choose uws as anything but a last resort. Usually they get into another uni, so the cutoffs will generally remain lower.

The quality of teaching isn't bad. The lecturers and and tutors seem to know what there on about (with the exception of my awful evening class tutor last semester...)

The facilities aren't that bad either. I'm at the parramatta campus, so I really can only speak for there, but all the buildings are either >5 years old or have been extensively renovated and modernised in that time.

And the other thing is that because uws does have like a bajillion campuses, for courses such as commerce, which is offered at all of them, more students can be admitted.

So where a uni like usyd can only accept 1000 commerce students max for example, uws can take more because some are at parramatta, others at campbelltown, others at penrith etc.

Yeah, I agree that uws probably isnt the best university there is, but you still get a good education.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I'm surprised we haven't had any "WHO CARES WOT U WANT TO STUDY UNSW ENGINEERING OR NOTHING!!!!!!1111" comments yet.

Excellent post MichelleV

enoilgam

HSC
This pretty much. I go to a uni which most people dont think too much of and from what I have seen the teaching standards and quality of education are very good. Unis like UWS and others which arent as highly regarded often get a bad rep simply because they arent well known and people make assumptions. When selecting a uni, you should make an effort to see the uni for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Note that this is NOT a comment on prestige - but rather the standards of the course/teaching.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm surprised we haven't had any "WHO CARES WOT U WANT TO STUDY UNSW ENGINEERING OR NOTHING!!!!!!1111" comments yet.

Excellent post MichelleV
WHO CARES WOT U WANT TO STUDY UNSW ENGINEERING OR--

oh

More seriously, if worst comes for worst, you can always transfer out of UWS if you don't like it.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Seriously I looked at the course for engineering at UWS and it really is terrible.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I looked at the Advanced Science courses at UWS and I was like: "no maths major?! what even"

zhiying

HSC
Its in middle of nowhere, 4 hour round trip for their med interview, no thanks -.-

Reactions: NWO

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
This pretty much. I go to a uni which most people dont think too much of and from what I have seen the teaching standards and quality of education are very good. Unis like UWS and others which arent as highly regarded often get a bad rep simply because they arent well known and people make assumptions. When selecting a uni, you should make an effort to see the uni for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Note that this is NOT a comment on prestige - but rather the standards of the course/teaching.

The prestige of the university is based on the research done by the academics. Therefore the prestige of the university usually depends on how long it has been established and therefore how long the academics have had to build the research and publication record. So usually the older the university the more prestigeous it is. In the Sydney area Sydney University started first, then University of NSW (Kenso Tech)then Macquarie Uni (Claytons). So the newest kid on the block gets picked on - UWS. I suppose you could say it was a bit like the youngest kid in the playground being bullied by the oldest kid.

Beaconite

Banned
HSC
I fink UWS is a pre good uni, I know a lot of smart ppl who go there...Most of ppl will agree wif me; UWS is one the best unis in the world...and it is way better than UNSW and USYD :)

lol jks :p

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
A lot of people who study at uws, tend to just bludge and be a nuisance to everyone else who actually wants to learn.

Low atar requirements do attract a lot of these people. fml.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)