Is war fundamentally wrong? (2 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I keep hearing around the forum cries of "war is wrong" , "war is stupid".
I'd like to hear how exactly people justify this to themselves?

walrusbear

HSC
for all the odd side positives to come of war, it's a place for humans to be their most cruel.
i believe strongly in human life (i believe death penalty is NEVER justified) and war is a tragic waste of life.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes sure, wars are often tragic etc. But is war fundamentally wrong?
Even some of the whackiest leftists I know acknowledge that war is needed (they just seem to spin it to be THEIR type of war).

It seems to me that Lefty's and Righty's both acknowledge that there is an occassioned need for war, however they OFTEN disagree on the circumstances and reasons behind wars ( i guess its expected, they are ideologically opposed ).

I'd like to claim that often the "WAR IS EVIL" chant is more a result of pop culture on a very basic level.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Even some of the whackiest leftists I know acknowledge that war is needed (they just seem to spin it to be THEIR type of war).

It seems to me that Lefty's and Righty's both acknowledge that there is an occassioned need for war, however they OFTEN disagree on the circumstances and reasons behind wars ( i guess its expected, they are ideologically opposed ).

I'd like to claim that often the "WAR IS EVIL" chant is more a result of pop culture on a very basic level.
i'm not sure if war is needed, so much as it's an intrinsically human thing to do

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:

i'm not sure how many people would say 'war is evil' though

pretty much my attitude is that war happens, without fail, it seems. doesn't make it necessary and doesn't make it a good thing.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The fact to me seems to be, there will always be conflict (so i guess that rests on your war being intrisically human thing), so there will always be war.

But Rorix, there are situations when going to war is necessary, and of course, none of those situations are as black and white as we all wish. But they do exist.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
The fact to me seems to be, there will always be conflict (so i guess that rests on your war being intrisically human thing), so there will always be war.
yeah i agree
these 'wrong' and 'right' terms don't really seem to enter it
war sure is fucking awful though

Rorix

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
But Rorix, there are situations when going to war is necessary, and of course, none of those situations are as black and white as we all wish. But they do exist.

sup NTB i don't remember posting in your thread??

anyway such discussions will have no resolution since the terms 'wrong' and 'right' are almost impossible to define.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
war isnt fundamentally wrong, but a lot of wars are wrong, well most, but the burden should lay on those starting the war to prove it isnt wrong, to a high degree of acceptability

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Rorix said:

anyway such discussions will have no resolution since the terms 'wrong' and 'right' are almost impossible to define.
hahaha sorry i meant walrusbear..
I must have been subconsciously thinking about you, in a very sexual way.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I think war is dying, actually

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I believe in diplomacy. I also believe that when diplomacy fails and war is the final and only avaliable option, it should be considered if the problem cannot be avoided.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Rorix said:

Yes, but what is ethical and unethical is universal.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
Slide Rule said:
I think war is dying, actually

unless you happen to be a super power and a nation in the middle east :)

but for there to be peace, war is "needed"

what that means is a different thing- whether you take it to mean its right, instrinsic or whatever

its totally subjective of course

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
the next person to say
"fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity"
gets fly kicked... and when i fly kick you i will put 76 forward flips in for style

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
War is about killing things.
Nature itself is about killing things.
Hence war is just man's own "Return to the Wild".

</English adv>

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
fight or flight

lol, males instinct, there is no negotiation or sharing....we either fight for something or run away keeping our pride intact?

spell check

HSC
how can war not be fundamentally wrong

resolving your problems by sending one group of people to try and kill as many of another group of people as possible

considering that states are simply made up of people who happen to have been born or live inside an artificially drawn legal boundary and therefore fall under the jurisdiction of a certain government

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)