• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is year 11 & 12 really that hard? (1 Viewer)

B

Bumbletiger

I'm starting my senior schooling next year, and I'm not going to lie, I'm extremely anxious. Particularly due to the fact that I've been dux of my year for past 4 years, and I'm not entirely sure what to expect. Ofcourse, I feel added pressure given my previous academic achievements, and that I must live up to them. I've always studied for exams, since year 7, written notes & memorised up to 4000-5000 on an individual assessment. The subjects I chose consist of English Advanced & Extension, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, 2U Studies of Religion & 2U Mathematics.

Is there anything I need to know to adapt to the change of senior schooling, tips or advice? Oh, and does year 11 go towards your ATAR or year 12?

Cheers :)

Capt Rifle

HSC
Workload and difficulty is increased, as well as competition. And no, year 11 does not count one bit towards your atar.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Yr 11 and 12 are certainly a step up in difficulty from 7-10. Getting dux in those years is a good indicator as to how you'll fare with the competition, but realise that it means stuff all if you think you'll ace senior years with minimal effort. Go in with a humbled attitude and ego, learn to manage your time, and you'll be okay.

enoilgam

HSC
Well, as you're dux, I am going to assume that you are aiming for a high ATAR and want to put to put in a solid effort. For the majority of people, getting a high ATAR does require a bit of effort. Year 11 and 12 are definitely a step up from Year 10 and you will find that you wont be able to coast along as much as you could do in the earlier years. You will start noticing that certain people will come out of nowhere in the senior years as they begin working harder.

Now, all that being sad, the HSC isnt as bad as it's made out to be in the earlier years. The HSC requires effort no doubt and is important, but it isnt the super-hard life changing apocalypse which it is made out to be.

enoilgam

HSC
Also, just noticed the other part to your question - Year 11 does NOT count towards your HSC.

starshine02

HSC
I felt one of the main differences between senior and junior high was the increased amount of work/content but it's still manageable. Another thing was probably the increasing competition from the people who didn't used to try very hard.

You've worked consistently throughout junior high and you've been the dux so you should be fine. On the days when you feel there's too much pressure or stress, it's alright to just take a day off and relax a bit so you don't burn out.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm starting my senior schooling next year, and I'm not going to lie, I'm extremely anxious. Particularly due to the fact that I've been dux of my year for past 4 years, and I'm not entirely sure what to expect. Ofcourse, I feel added pressure given my previous academic achievements, and that I must live up to them. I've always studied for exams, since year 7, written notes & memorised up to 4000-5000 on an individual assessment. The subjects I chose consist of English Advanced & Extension, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, 2U Studies of Religion & 2U Mathematics.

Is there anything I need to know to adapt to the change of senior schooling, tips or advice? Oh, and does year 11 go towards your ATAR or year 12?

Year 11 does not count, but year 12 does. Year 11 is more of an experiment to see what best works for you, but there is an added workload and pressure to perform better.

bluecrisps

HSC
Random people (like me) will -> see and increase our power of knowledge 10,000 fold.

Attachments

Last edited:

Abanious

HSC
N/A
hsc isnt hard. its completely hyped up, however you still need to work ( duhhhh).

just make your consistent and it will be all fineeeeeeeeee

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
From what you've said, it looks like you'll be wanting to do well, and doing well isn't hard. Doing well requires perseverance, which it looks like you already have. So if you're prepared to put in the hours, then the HSC isn't hard. But I would be lying by saying that the journey itself will be easy. Personally, I'm very anxious and so I naturally had many panic attacks and nervous breakdowns throughout my HSC. There were also parts where I didn't do as well as I hoped, and that was tough. But no matter what, if you're willing to persevere and try harder then you'll be fine.

Here are a few tips:
- Start homework, assignments, study preparation the day it gets issued. I know this sounds simple but it'll save you big time
- Practice makes perfect. I'm sure you've heard many people stress the importance of doing practice essays, practice questions, practice everything. Even though it sounds pedantic, it's the key to doing your best.
- Live a balanced life. This is the most important to consider. Do not compromise your previous lifestyle, just make slight alterations. Exercise regularly and spend time relaxing because these are the things that will help you study more efficiently and more importantly keep you sane! Personally, I was a big reader, so every night before bed I'd read for 30 mins - this would really help me relax. Throughout the holidays, I'd go for 30 minute walks everyday, which not only refreshed me but helped me sleep better throughout stressful periods.

Breeby

HSC
I'm going to be giving a different response to people because I'm different.
I never did any work but I still got a pretty good atar (good school, friends, tutors). So hsc really wasn't that stressful for me.
I did get really tired during my first few days of year 11 though. I think it was because of all the info I was trying to cream in my head during lessons.
Year 11 did count towards my HSC in a way because my school almost didn't let me do 4u maths after I did poorly in the 3u exams. Also, I accelerated a subject.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Well in my experience, yes in snr school it will be harder to maintain duxness. People will start coming out of the woodwork so to speak (it'll start in yr 11 but more so in yr 12). Something to think off is that you have been putting in alot of hard work in jnr school-some other high performers may have been naturally coasting and will become competition once they start putting the work in. Myself, I was dux 7-10 easily, but in yr 11 my ranks slid a bit as people began gearing up/putting in lots of hard work, anyway I did end up being dux in Yr 12 in the end :p

Don't become too anxious, or pressure yourself too greatly. I understand the intrinsic pressure of living up to your expectation and other people's given a track record. But you have to check it and not lose sight of the HSC being a tool to get into uni. I've seen anxiety and pressure hinder some very intelligent students greatly in snr school. It's definitely over hyped-I mean it's just a logical next step from yr 10, you have done well in the last four years and you will continue to do so I'm sure, as long as you don't psyche yourself out.

RishBonjour

HSC
If you work consistently from year 11 and have average intelligence, you will most likely get 99+.

Last edited:

funstudy

HSC
Only Year 12 counts to your ATAR. Honestly, once you leave school, you realise how there's no point worrying. I mean, I guess that's the point of hindsight, but don't fret too much and just try your best :)

Bobbo1

HSC
Make sure to work consistently right away from year 11 and you should be fine....

TheGeetz1995

HSC
Your workload will definitely increase in the first few weeks of year 11 because you will be learning some completely new content. Also, up to 20% of your mathematics HSC exam can be content taught in year 11 (sorry to tell you that!!). No other subject will test you on year 11 content in the HSC.

Don't slack off in year 11 but at the same time don't fret too much about it :wavey:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Your workload will definitely increase in the first few weeks of year 11 because you will be learning some completely new content. Also, up to 20% of your mathematics HSC exam can be content taught in year 11 (sorry to tell you that!!). No other subject will test you on year 11 content in the HSC.

Don't slack off in year 11 but at the same time don't fret too much about it :wavey:
Anything from year 11 maths can be in the HSC exam, there's no limit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)