Islam cartoon pulled from student newspaper website (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Australian National University vice-chancellor Ian Young says a cartoon published in a student newspaper satirising Islam overstepped the mark.

The student newspaper Woroni originally published the cartoon as part of its 'Advice from Religion' infographic. It was part of a series previously featuring Mormonism, Catholicism, Scientology, and Judaism. The university has forced the editors to retract the piece online and issue a formal apology.

Professor Young says he acted after the university received formal complaints from international students. "They felt it was both offensive and discriminatory," he said. "That was the view of the university as well. We felt that it actually breached the rules of the university in terms of student conduct and indeed we believed it breached the rules of at least the Australian Press Council principles to which Woroni abides."

Professor Young says he was also concerned the satire could have provoked a violent response.
"There have been a number of cases internationally of satirical cartoons about the Koran which can have some very unfortunate side effects," he said.

Editors from the Woroni say they feel the university had ulterior motives for banning the cartoon. Editor Gus McCubbing says the cartoon was part of a series poking fun at different religions. "We've been called homophobic, we've been called sexist, chauvinist," he said. "I guess every edition given we're a student publication we choose a line between satire and bad taste. "The problem I had here was never before had the Chancelry taken such an active role in disciplining us and saying what we can and can't publish."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-27/islam-cartoon-pulled-from-student-newspaper-website/4714952

The cartoon in question

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Ummmmmm. Seriously? How is that anything other than satirical?

Tasteless

HSC
Ummmmmm. Seriously? How is that anything other than satirical?
Muslims can't humour.

I agree with what soloooo said a while back, I honestly don't believe islam and western values can coexist harmoniously.

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Muslims can't humour.

I agree with what soloooo said a while back, I honestly don't believe islam and western values can coexist harmoniously.
France and parts of Europe have finally started to wake up to the problem. Australia is showing signs also.

That cartoon isn't even funny.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
France and parts of Europe have finally started to wake up to the problem. Australia is showing signs also.

That cartoon isn't even funny.
It's just a zing at islam. didn't even know it was a cartoon until someone said so.

then again, ANU is retarded for pulling it. Free speech much?

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
the bottom bit asterisked lolol

muslims need to learn to take a joke. they can happily dis it out but when it comes to taking it, theyll freak out and riot.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
sounds like someone doesn't want to be decapitated

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think in this case it's important to remember that it wasn't "the muslims" who had the cartoon removed, it was the university and whilst yes it came after complaints it should be the university that comes under the most scrutiny here. I think the university should have backed the independence of the student press.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
So when did the most=all?

I'd want to kill people from the west as well if you here held up as the model o western ideals.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
So when did the most=all?
I didn't say it did, I'm pointing out that's strange that one religion has a wildly disproportionate number of fanatics in spite of claims that it is not related to the inherent nature of the religion nor that of the people who follow it.
You have very poor reading comprehension.

I'd want to kill people from the west as well if you here held up as the model o western ideals.
What I believe in is not remotely similar to what is considered mainstream western ideals.

But nice to hear that you feel murderous over the idea people keeping a bunch of savages out of their countries.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
doesn't matter its a STUDENT newspaper
I'll assume ANU works like USYD (correct me if I'm wrong) here, that would mean that the editors are elected by the students and the paper is funded by student amenities fee. So in fact the editors have been democratically chosen by the students to represent them. The vice chancellor should butt out, he hasn't been student elected and it isn't the universities money paying for the paper therefore the editors should have complete discretion as to what to publish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)