Islamic woman and licence photo (1 Viewer)

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
In South Australia, an Islamic woman was allowed to wear her religious dress while getting her licence photo taken. However, it is debated that she is breaking the law, because her identity is concealed. What are you're thoughts. should she have to obey the law regarding ID like everybody else?

K

katie_tully

Dr_Gorgeous said:
In South Australia, an Islamic woman was allowed to wear her religious dress while getting her licence photo taken. However, it is debated that she is breaking the law, because her identity is concealed. What are you're thoughts. should she have to obey the law regarding ID like everybody else?
If they want an Australian licence, they have to obey by Australian laws. They should obey by the rules like everybody else.
Enough of this pandering to everybodys specific god damn needs. She isn't going to burn in hell for revealing her face for a licence photo.

I'm not totally sure whether it's breaking the law, by concealing her face...a concealed face defeats the purpose of having photo ID.

mahuligan

HSC
thats ridiculous...she doesnt have to cover her face, but i dont really see a problem with wearing a headscarf because your hair doesnt really help in identifying you..most peoples hairstyles change quite often.

K

katie_tully

let's jump on the 'treatment of islamic women and their beliefs by the education department and government in general is bad' bandwagon.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
surely there are more important issues in the world. With relation to the whole face covering thing that is entirely a cultural pratice and seriously I think people who make a big deal about licence photos and stuff should get over it, to me their complaints are not religiously based but rather just done for the sake of complainig.

mahuligan

HSC
katie_tully said:
let's jump on the 'treatment of islamic women and their beliefs by the education department and government in general is bad' bandwagon.

haha wtf...where did that come from

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
mahuligan said:
thats ridiculous...she doesnt have to cover her face, but i dont really see a problem with wearing a headscarf because your hair doesnt really help in identifying you..most peoples hairstyles change quite often.

true true
i couldn't have put it better myself...

K

katie_tully

mahuligan said:
haha wtf...where did that come from
just the fact that one person complained about their unfair treatment due to "cultural differences", so now everybody is.
you're in australia. we dont care if you want to wear your head scarf for cultural reasons, but wearing one that covers your face for photo ID defeats the purpose. i wouldnt be able to do it, nor would most Australian women, so why should she?

same goes with the girl and her big spill about auburn girls high. refer to previous thread.

K

katie_tully

we're not talking about hair people, we're discussing the concealment of ones face.

mahuligan

HSC
katie_tully said:
just the fact that one person complained about their unfair treatment due to "cultural differences", so now everybody is.
you're in australia. we dont care if you want to wear your head scarf for cultural reasons, but wearing one that covers your face for photo ID defeats the purpose. i wouldnt be able to do it, nor would most Australian women, so why should she?

same goes with the girl and her big spill about auburn girls high. refer to previous thread.

meh - im muslim and agree with you

people who complain for no reason are annoying

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
katie_tully said:
we're not talking about hair people, we're discussing the concealment of ones face.
i think you missed the context of what mahuligan said completely

no face covering scarves, that ruins the purpose of getting a photo licence

but for the simple scarves that cover a womans hair, but not her face, well then whats the problem with that??

i think the women from the "brethren?" religion are allowed to wear hair covering scarves for their photos

K

katie_tully

waddle_828 said:
i think you missed the context of what mahuligan said completely

no face covering scarves, that ruins the purpose of getting a photo licence

but for the simple scarves that cover a womans hair, but not her face, well then whats the problem with that??

i think the women from the "brethren?" religion are allowed to wear hair covering scarves for their photos
nobody said anything about it being wrong covering your hair. hair, big deal.

we're saying when it conceals a persons face, thats when it isnt right.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
I reckon its bullshit because everyone should have to obey the same rules regardless of their religion or background. Same rules for everyone because making exceptions for some members of the community and not others is discrimation. Otherwise someone could start up their own religious cult that requires members to dress in motorbike helmets or ski masks and demand that they not be required to remove them in id photos or when entering banks for "modesty" reasons :rolleyes:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
supercharged said:
I reckon its bullshit because everyone should have to obey the same rules regardless of their religion or background. Same rules for everyone because making exceptions for some members of the community and not others is discrimation. Otherwise someone could start up their own religious cult that requires members to dress in motorbike helmets or ski masks and demand that they not be required to remove them in id photos or when entering banks for "modesty" reasons :rolleyes:
It would depend on the situation..
But I believe if she wants a license they should force her to show her face, this is lunacy :rolleyes:

Sweets: You hit it right on the money, this has NOTHING to do with religion, this is just BS to get ur face on tv. "OMG RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION!!!!", why is religion such a high and mighty thing that we can't say "who cares about your religion?".

Religion is just another personal belief, but they don't take PERSONAL BELIEFS into account with anything now do they?

HSC
Today they made me wear pants. I don't know about you people, but my religion is very clear in expressing its opinion of pants, and let me tell you, they're held in very low regard. Surely I should be on Today Tonight within the next few days, this is clearly a violation of my rights.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
My theory is actually that all these cases on the news, that are supposedly trying to 'help' muslims by showing how persecuted they are in the community (OMG I HAVE TO STOP WEARING YOUR FACE MASK FOR A LICENSE PHOTO!!!) are having the exact opposite effect. I'm sure that there is alot of REAL muslim bashing going on out there in the community, but story after story of "OMG I WANNA WEAR MY HEADSCARF" makes them out to be a bunch of whinging dickheads.

K

katie_tully

ogmzergrush said:
Today they made me wear pants. I don't know about you people, but my religion is very clear in expressing its opinion of pants, and let me tell you, they're held in very low regard. Surely I should be on Today Tonight within the next few days, this is clearly a violation of my rights.

Underwear goes inside the pants. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)