Islamic woman and licence photo (1 Viewer)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
withoutaface said:
It is cultural, because religious practices are generally derived from the culture at the time the religion was established.
um koran is the word of God
and hadith is the teachings of the prophet
they have nothing to do with culture
nicab is worn as a cultural thing in some cases
but it derived from it being in islam to begin with

so an australian who wears it...shes following muslims..not cultures..etc
schools of thought are not cultural
but people think its culture because alot of pakistanis for example follow hanbali school of thought(math-hab)...so they adapt that way of thinking and all the pakis do it so everyone thinsk its paki culture

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
soha said:
um koran is the word of God
and hadith is the teachings of the prophet
they have nothing to do with culture
nicab is worn as a cultural thing in some cases
but it derived from it being in islam to begin with

so an australian who wears it...shes following muslims..not cultures..etc
schools of thought are not cultural
but people think its culture because alot of pakistanis for example follow hanbali school of thought(math-hab)...so they adapt that way of thinking and all the pakis do it so everyone thinsk its paki culture
Culture:
The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.

Rather a moot point, but the hijab is basically a behavioural pattern based on a belief, is it not?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
withoutaface said:
Culture:
The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.

Rather a moot point, but the hijab is basically a behavioural pattern based on a belief, is it not?
erm i guess so
but islam is a religon
not a culture
islamic culture??..is that what ur talking about

because there is lebanese culture african culture asian culkture
but there is one islam..

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
soha said:
erm i guess so
but islam is a religon
not a culture
islamic culture??..is that what ur talking about

because there is lebanese culture african culture asian culkture
but there is one islam..
I think culture is generally something which is partially based upon the religious character of a region, then you have socioeconomic issues etc, you can have many countries based upon Islam, but their other contributing factors are most likely going to be different.

X

xeuyrawp

Remember the reason why muslims started to wear them WAS for cultural reasons- They lived in a harsh environment with sun. Men did the same thing. This ended up getting transformed into "oh no, you must respect your body etc." Even if you go to the non-Islamic areas of egypt, you see exactly the same thing.

Exactly the same for Jews and their laws- cosher food comes fromt he fact that some things couldnt be eaten 2000 BC.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Remember the reason why muslims started to wear them WAS for cultural reasons- They lived in a harsh environment with sun. Men did the same thing. This ended up getting transformed into "oh no, you must respect your body etc." Even if you go to the non-Islamic areas of egypt, you see exactly the same thing.

Exactly the same for Jews and their laws- cosher food comes fromt he fact that some things couldnt be eaten 2000 BC.
um muslims didnt wear it religiously until it was revealed in the koran and hadith

people already dressed all covered to protect them from the harsh climate
but these days...you cnat say that an australian white anglo muslim wears it because of the culture or climate
its because they understand it to be derived from islam with proofs in the koran and hadith

tempco

HSC
hrm, not really. the need to wear the scarf/burqa/whatever at that certain time was strictly religious. it states in the Qur'an that men and women must cover certain parts of their body (men - knees to belly button, women - everything except hands and face).

Generator

HSC
N/A
That or it was just a religious text making the most of the situation (which makes sense if you want a new idea to be considered, respected and accepted by many).

X

xeuyrawp

soha said:
um muslims didnt wear it religiously until it was revealed in the koran and hadith
I didn't say that. Read what I said. I said that it was worn previously, and it was meerly adopted by the religion.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Dr_Gorgeous said:
In South Australia, an Islamic woman was allowed to wear her religious dress while getting her licence photo taken. However, it is debated that she is breaking the law, because her identity is concealed. What are you're thoughts. should she have to obey the law regarding ID like everybody else?
does it conceal her face? if it doesn't then it should be OK. if it's like a burqa then no she should take it off for the photo.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I didn't say that. Read what I said. I said that it was worn previously, and it was meerly adopted by the religion.
how could it be adopted by the religon?

the Quran is the word of God...and the verses were revealed to prophet mohammad pbuh about hejab etc...

therefore the followers ..aka the muslims wore hejab

tempco

HSC
Generator said:
That or it was just a religious text making the most of the situation (which makes sense if you want a new idea to be considered, respected and accepted by many).
well, yes, i understand where you're coming from.

as for "merely adopting" it, i think that wording is a bit too soft. it was arab culture to have celebrations during the night, where dress codes were a lot more revealing. so keeping the established "day clothes" on through out the night would have been uncomfortable for anyone. unless they stayed at home of course.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
soha said:

people already dressed all covered to protect them from the harsh climate
but these days...you cnat say that an australian white anglo muslim wears it because of the culture or climate
its because they understand it to be derived from islam with proofs in the koran and hadith
The Koran was written in the society at the time, by human beings (assuming this, correct me if I'm wrong), isn't it at all possible that a social practice could wrongly be interpreted as being the word of God? If Muhummad for example told a woman to wear a hijab, and he meant because he wanted her to protect herself from the harsh climate, an onlooker could then interpret it as being God's word, and make up reasons other than the climate, such as dignity etc, afterwards. I'm not saying that this is the case for this particular practice, but it's almost definately the case for at least a few practices in every religion.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
withoutaface said:
The Koran was written in the society at the time, by human beings (assuming this, correct me if I'm wrong), isn't it at all possible that a social practice could wrongly be interpreted as being the word of God? If Muhummad for example told a woman to wear a hijab, and he meant because he wanted her to protect herself from the harsh climate, an onlooker could then interpret it as being God's word, and make up reasons other than the climate, such as dignity etc, afterwards. I'm not saying that this is the case for this particular practice, but it's almost definately the case for at least a few practices in every religion.
no waffy, it was written by a bunch of green aliens, standing on their heads
while drinking massive, brain deadening amounts of alcohol.

that was a joke, no one take me seriously

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
cherryblossom said:
no waffy, it was written by a bunch of green aliens, standing on their heads
while drinking massive, brain deadening amounts of alcohol.

that was a joke, no one take me seriously
It could have been written by Muhummad himself for all I know Alicia, and the prophets of God are held to be something more than human.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
withoutaface said:
It could have been written by Muhummad himself for all I know Alicia, and the prophets of God are held to be something more than human.
hmm, I don't know anything about Islam and I'm not going to pretend to. :)
except that everyone totally snubbed my post so I felt like chucking a hissy fit, that's all.

tempco

HSC
according to muslim belief, god, through angel gabriel, passed on the quran to muhammed, who memorised it. he then recited it to his companions who also memorised it, or recorded it somehow.

tempco

HSC
cherryblossom said:
except that everyone totally snubbed my post so I felt like chucking a hissy fit, that's all.
erm, which post? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)