• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I've Just Begun...and I'm Buggered (1 Viewer)

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
hmmm i dont remember yr 11 being really tough. i actually think doing the prelim course is so dumb. it counts for nothing. sure the work you do is helpful to carry on with yr 12 stuff, but really, i think it'd be heaps better to call it year 12 for 2 years. and all the work is examined and its stretched out. lol thats just a crazy dream... but yeah just stop stressing. the first week would always be difficult because the teachers like to get you into 'hsc' mode with studying and amounts of work n stuff. but it slows down soon enough

donnytuco

tuco
HSC
im with the people that are dead tired afta onli 1 week. dunno what it is thats makin me tired... maybe doing homework for the first time in years?

sladehk

le random
HSC
shellybelly087 said:
hmmm i dont remember yr 11 being really tough. i actually think doing the prelim course is so dumb. it counts for nothing. sure the work you do is helpful to carry on with yr 12 stuff, but really, i think it'd be heaps better to call it year 12 for 2 years. and all the work is examined and its stretched out. lol thats just a crazy dream... but yeah just stop stressing. the first week would always be difficult because the teachers like to get you into 'hsc' mode with studying and amounts of work n stuff. but it slows down soon enough
maybe it seems easy coz you went through yr 12

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
year 11 is a bitch on wheels
get ready for the rest of the year
i hated it..with a firey pasion to the extent where i wanted to drop out
but i hung in there..
etc..so yeah thats my story

OMG i luved year 11, i went to a senior high school so basically your on your own.... and u get used to it pretty easily... my advice is:
1. dont procrastinate
2. always note down important dates cos u can seriously forget and freak out when u find out that there is an assignment due 2morrow
3. relax and if ur in trouble ask for help from other students or ur teachers

seriously after a while you will LUV year 11, well to me year 11 n 12 were the best years for me.... :D so yeah RELAX and always be aware of stuff going on around u... cos things can creep up quickly and really surprise u

sladehk

le random
HSC
its a bit hard to relax when you've got assessments coming up

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
its not too bad so far... i thought we'd get homework up to our eyeballs this week, but we havent really. it is more homework then im used to - before this year id do homework about 3 times a week. now i have it every day, but its not too hard. the only things i dont like bout yr 11 are the early classes and the fact that all our assessments seem to be due on the same day this term. otherwise its great :) my parents keep lecturing me about how important this yr is, and even our teachers said it was gonna be "blood, sweat and tears" for the next 2 yrs... but its fine, wat r they talking about? that said its only the first week so things'll probly get harder.

sladehk

le random
HSC
comparitively the home-work loading can be represented by this formula:
yr11 = yr10 *10

7minute

HSC
meaghan_louise said:
I've just finished my first week of year 11 and I am absolutely exhausted...I have no idea how I am going to cope for the rest of the year, not to mention year 12! Any of youse got any advice on how you handle the early starts and all the work load...any advice from pigging out on chocolate to studying would be appreciated. :)
I know exactly what you mean... I felt exactly the same way after my first week of Year 11. I guess one of the most important things to remember is that you are NOT examined on Year 11 content in the HSC, with the exception of Maths courses and some others which I can't remember. So if you crash out on an asssessment or test, it's okay... it doesn't count.

Another thing to keep in mind (crazy as it sounds) is that the first few weeks seem so hard because they are a total shock to the system. After awhile, it seems like the workload is easing up on you, but actually it's you adapting and getting used to it! As for Year 12, many people take less units, which gives them more free periods to lighten the workload in the evening. Personally, I did 14 units in Year 11 (utter madness), which I reduced to 11 for Year 12, which made it feel less exhausting.

Advice on early starts and workloads... well, I can only tell you what I know from my own experience (and stupidity):

1. Don't abuse caffeine, and if you do, don't drink it at 11pm-midnight, coz after you've finished your work, you won't be able to get to sleep! Which obviously leaves you shattered the next day.
2. Get enough sleep. This is something I didn't do throughout Years 11 and 12, which meant I would doze off in Physics and English classes. 8 hours a night is good, but you can get away with 7-7 1/2. 6, I found, wasn't enough.
3. Have one work-free night. For me this was usually Friday night (and sometimes Saturday as well!) Nobody can study 24/7. So watch TV, play sport, go out, see a movie, whatever. It's important to keep a balance.
4. Don't leave things to the last minute, coz it usually means sitting up at your desk or in front of the computer waayyy too late. And it fries your brain for the next day.
5. Chocolate is good. There's nothing wrong with using chocolate as motivation, reward, self-bribe, etc;. I used to keep a Cherry Ripe in my desk for these purposes, which was fine until I completely forgot about it.
6. Never be afraid to ask for help.

That's all I can think of... hope it helps!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Wow, I can't believe you guys had homework in yr 11, for us the only stuff we had was maths homework (exercises from the book), assignments and personal study, they figured we were old enough to look after ourselves and so they didn't need to be marking reams of homework every day.

HSC
I just started Yr 11. It doesnt seem that bad. Or maybe I'm not doin enough work. All the new students that come seem so much more studious and dedicated. Lol most of them even made notes for school cert. pfft

meaghan_louise

HSC
Yeah, thanks heaps. It's not that I don't like Yr 11, I mean I think it's way better than junior school and everything but by like, recess I am completely stuffed. And like, all my friends go home sometimes at lunch and I stay a 2 extra hours doing extension english!

Anyways, I'm having real problems with my maths and everything. Like, I'm doing 2 Unit but finding it really hard and I want to move to general but I heard about all these UAI caps and everything and then yesterday I got told there was no such thing...I'm like....ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Yeah, so it looks like I'm dropping to general...but I want a high UAI...

Stupid School....lol.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Just give it til your half yearly before you make any decisions, you may go better than you expect.

Lisa_8

HSC
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who is struggling with 3U and Cambridge (as well as the first week in general :) ). This is just chapter 1, and we're suppose to only be revising last year's work, but a lot of it is both very new and very complex. Is it just the textbook? Everywhere on BOS it says that Cambridge is good for challenging you...but I'm feeling far too challenged at the moment. Is there a textbook that has better explanations? I think the questions would be alright if we knew about the theories/ideas behind them. Everytime I ask my teacher about a question I hear terms like conjugates and the difference of two squares in difference of two squares in....

I'm so pissed off...I thought that the majority of people did 13 units so I'm doing 13 and I have no frees whatsoever. :mad: And we haven't got our assessment grid yet, so who knows what is coming up.

And to make it even worse, a nine year old prodigy has joined our grade. Our teachers keep telling us we can compete with her, but she's already done all the practicals in chem, has done HSC maths and topped four subjects in the SC. And she's planning on being a physicist. Now they're devoting all the time in class to getting her to read, answer questions and show off all her knowledge, leaving the rest of us feeling confused and extremely stupid. We're not even selective or anything like that! Just a Catholic school (and her 7 year old sister started yr 7 so its double trouble!).

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Lisa_8 said:
And to make it even worse, a nine year old prodigy has joined our grade. Our teachers keep telling us we can compete with her, but she's already done all the practicals in chem, has done HSC maths and topped four subjects in the SC. And she's planning on being a physicist. Now they're devoting all the time in class to getting her to read, answer questions and show off all her knowledge, leaving the rest of us feeling confused and extremely stupid. We're not even selective or anything like that! Just a Catholic school (and her 7 year old sister started yr 7 so its double trouble!).
omg i would hate to have someone like that in my year. nine years old and doing the hsc?! jeeez, and i thought i was smart. does she have any friends? coz kids like that dont tend to... :( maybe other kids feel threatened - i know i would.

Lisa_8

HSC
No...nobody knows much about her because she's shy, but I know that she doesnt watch any TV and only listens to classical music...which sort of gives you an idea of what she's like. Everybody is afraid of her...its probably more psychologically damaging to us than it is to her. It's hard...I mean I keep wondering whether she is an 18 year old trapped in the body of a 9 year old, or whether she's still a 9 year old, with the mental capacity of an 18 year old. It's very confusing.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
sladehk said:
its a bit hard to relax when you've got assessments coming up
hahahaha assessments "coming up"? when's this, week 9? 10? boo hoo, my heart bleeds for you. :rolleyes:

seriously, you're all such pussies. "wah! it's so hard! i want to drop out after 3 or 4 days! wah!". yeah, it sucks, but i have learnt it's better to just get over it and take responsibility for yourself. dropping out sounds easy now. maybe it won't sound so great in 20 years time when you're still asking "would you like fries with that?"

sorry to be blunt, and don't get me wrong, i still complain about my shithouse workload, but suck it up. it's less than two more years and you're done and you have the rest of your life ahead of you.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
haha glycerine you're a legend

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
glycerine said:
hahahaha assessments "coming up"? when's this, week 9? 10? boo hoo, my heart bleeds for you. :rolleyes:

seriously, you're all such pussies. "wah! it's so hard! i want to drop out after 3 or 4 days! wah!". yeah, it sucks, but i have learnt it's better to just get over it and take responsibility for yourself. dropping out sounds easy now. maybe it won't sound so great in 20 years time when you're still asking "would you like fries with that?"

sorry to be blunt, and don't get me wrong, i still complain about my shithouse workload, but suck it up. it's less than two more years and you're done and you have the rest of your life ahead of you.
I nominate glycerine for benefactorship.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)