Japanese (1 Viewer)

leski

HSC
heezels, i do appreciate it. For the dictation, the tute reads a sentence three times. You have to write it with the correct tense and kanji. I once wrote in hiragana, and got zero mark for it. When I tried to memorize the kanji, it's fine for me. But during the dictation, my brain had no reaction to the sentense. I couldn't find the kanji to the hiragana in that short period. I do need more practice. :bomb:

klaw

HSC
leski said:
babydoll, J-club is Nippon Students Association or not? I joined NSA, but haven't meet them yet since some timetable clashed.

I will see iita sensei on wed. i plan to do some grammar practice in n1, which i already borrowed from library. Iita sensei might give me some advice or answer sheet at least. i hope.

now, we have dictation each week. i got the lowest mark in my tutorial today. so frustrated. anyway, i will try my best to do it. :mad1:
J-club is different from Nippon. I asked the nippon guys and they said that J-club was more just drinking and nippon's more of doing other stuff. I'm in nippon too :O. Are you going to the sushi-making on friday?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
leski: J-club and NSA are two separate organisation. J-club is aimed at breaking language barriers between Japanese people and Japanese students. NSA is aimed at Japanese people forming a community on campus.

I had so much trouble with kanji too. The trick is to write out the kanji, then cover the characters and focus on the hiragana, then write out the kanji. It's a matter of remembering the association between the hiragana and the kanji, not just the 'picture' made by the kanji - it's pretty useless if you dont know what it says or means.

Cheezels: I would recommend doing Professional Japanese, which will introduce you to Japanese language in the workplace. It is really quite different to 'normal' Japanese and will make you more employable as a Japanese speaker. There used to be a course called Hospitality Japanese - I was going to recommend it but it's disappeared :/ I did a bit of Business Japanese, I havent done the other courses, but from what I've heard, the courses are intense but good.

3A and 3B use the same textbook, but a new reader will be required for 3B. You'll also have a project in 3B, and depending on what you do you might have to buy books for that as well.

leski

HSC
klaw: I work in Double Bay tomorrow till 5pm. If i don't need to stay back, i'd like to join them. Should have lots of fun there.

babydoll_, Cheezels, thanks for sharing the secrets of smart study. I am gonna have midsession exam next monday and interaction test a week after. Wish everything goes well. Fingers crossed.

BTW, the guest will come next wed. is that 1 to 1 situation, or the whole class caters for one guest? Have u guys experienced this before?

Last edited:

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
I'm doing 3A at the moment and hating it. We've already had four assessments, and though they're not worth much, everything still adds up.. and the interim report next week. ARGHH.

So many of my friends have dropped out now... :(

karoooh

HSC
:(

Did they drop out cos of the number of assignments or cos of how hard it is? I know it's a while away, but now I'm worried. I don't want to hang onto doing a language if I'm not sure I'll be able to stick to it until the very end; it'd be a waste.

klaw

HSC
Karooh-san no senkou wa nihongo desu ka?

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
bubz :D said:
I'm doing 3A at the moment and hating it. We've already had four assessments, and though they're not worth much, everything still adds up.. and the interim report next week. ARGHH.

So many of my friends have dropped out now... :(
I know! I find it a bit rich that the interim report is one week after the proposal...
I'm enjoying it because it's forcing me to improve my Jap but it really tiring trying to understand Okamoto especially when she turns around to do something.

I got some bad ass food poisoning last wednesday (after my proposal) and haven't left my bed since so I haven't spoken to my group much / at all and am just going to do a smattering of research and write down some facts I guess. =/

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Okamoto is one of the more decent senseis, but the problem (and advantage too I guess) is that she rarely speaks English, forcing you to listen and speak to her in Japanese.

leski: If you're doing 1A, I think it's just 1 guest for a few large groups, and you ask them simple questions like their name and job.

karoooh

HSC
klaw said:
Karooh-san no senkou wa nihongo desu ka?
Senkouwa mada wakarimasen.

Long story short: I don't know if I'm transferring or not next year. We'll see! :p

Cheezels

Shackled Shadow
HSC
Thanks for the replies everyone - I think I have a clearer idea of what I shall do after I finish Japanese 4B. Indeed, 3A is quite exhausting for me as I've only come out of HSC level and I feel like I'm expected to already know how to balance a pile of dishes (bad metaphor I know). However, I at least know that what I'm learning is not entirely redundant - I accidentally enrolled in 2A for first week and found it ridiculously easy even though we haven't done much. Looking at my Jap. 2A friend's stuff seems easy as well even though the 1 on 1 midsession exam looks dreadful - I get particularly nervous when it comes to speaking to a stranger or when I stuff up. Still waiting on my recitation test results - I hope I did okay.

Cheezels

Shackled Shadow
HSC
karoooh said:
Senkouwa mada wakarimasen.

Long story short: I don't know if I'm transferring or not next year. We'll see! :p
Oh yes, "senkou" is what major you are studying. So someone was asking you whether you are doing Japanese as a major or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)