Journey into the Interior (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Time to make an official thread for this.

So where are you guys getting most of your stuff for this - I have this booklet I'm "very inspired by", as well as a whole lot of "deep and meaninful" lines a friend and I came up with when we were really tired (you now have an idea of how sad our content was)...

Add something to our "communal list"

*Blurring of reality and fantasy/journey
*Unchartable inner landscape
*Use of rugged Canadian landscape to compare obstacles of inner/imaginative journey with

Simmey

HSC
Just stuff about how it is a psychological analysis of the mind and that journeys of the mind can be a treacherous as a physical journey and the landscape is like the mind as there are places to thick to go and its easy to get lost

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
no rhyming pattern- symbolises lack of rhythm in journey, hence, arduous and often treacherous

indentations - journey is not a smooth path.

journey can be deceptive - hills tha the eye make flat as a wall.

universality in that protagonist is never named

"lack of reliable charts" - the journey is different for all.

"there are no destinations apart from this" - everyone has to take this journey

little_red_fox

I find this text really good to use as it tends to have more depth etc, but it's much harder to apply to questions about choices, and the journey being worth the struggles (while its good for 'obstacles', can you really make a judjement on it 'being worth the struggles' if the outcome of the journey hasn't yet ocurred?) So in these cases I tend to use the road not taken - obviously about choices, and "I took the road less travelled by/ And that has made all the difference" seems to tie in with the journey being "worth the struggles" more easily. If you have any ideas on how to use Journey to the Interior for these sort of questions though, I 'd really like to hear because I'd much prefer to use it in my response.
Hope everything goes well tomorrow!

HSC
N/A
Well, Journey to the Interior is the only stimulus text I'm doing so if they ask a hard question, I'm rather screwed... I'm also screwed if they specify a text...

haack_m

HSC
it could be said that when she start to compare the two places in what would be the second stanza of the poem that, it seems by the attention to detail that she has come back to reality, however is still in a slight hallucinogenic state, “your shoe among the brambles under the chair, where it shouldn’t be” telling us that she is back to normal life, and has just gone through a painful change as there is ‘brambles under the chair’ creating a feeling of discomfort and some confusion.

Lucie16

HSC
I am using this for imaginative journey related material, although i think its much better suited to inner. Because The Tempest is our given text i am trying to pick up on the idea of chaos. I think its a good choice because you can interpret it on so many different levels that hopefully you can apply it to most questions

K

katie_tully

- Free verse
- Describes Canadian exterior
- Reader guided to a private and unexplained world
- Negative connotations imply that this inner terrain represents a heart of darkness

Journey Motif
Superficially describes the Canadian landscape, a world that is harsh, inhospitable and bleak.

Features
Similes and recurring motifs
"It is easier for me to lose my way / Forever here, than in other landscapes"

"A compass isuseless;also / trying to take directions"

"I'm sure I passed yesterday / (Have I been walking in circles again?)"

"I move surrounded by a tangle of branches"

"In swampsl that this is a poor country"

j_mobey2005

HSC
The main point of the poem is the connection between physical journeys and imagnitive journeys(maybe even some inner journey going on). I interrupted parts of the poem which mention going in circles as maybe suggesting that the writer had experienced a similair experience in earlier life or had found herself asking previously unanswered questions. As long as you can justify it well and link it back to the question and/or journeys I think you can say just about anything. I would, however recommend choosing one or two extra texts from the stimulus booklet as I've been told that past HSC papers have all asked for 2 or more texts to be written about.

GOODLUCK

JAY :uhhuh:

K

katie_tully

Journey to the Interior
* Aspects of physical journey
* Marg Atwood = feminist. Split self.
* Poem about identify and understanding
* Understanding ourselves/exploring
* Physical imagery and symbolism. Physical, tangible, sign posts. Internally as your mind wanders there are no sign posts.
1st Section
* Similarities/Differences
* Contradictions. Further she explores, the more confused she has become. Human being may be focuses, does not stop thoughts from wandering
* Distracted, recreate tension
* Have I been walking in circles again? (Physical journey)
Shifts in tone. One imperative.
Acknowledges a sense of danger.
Questions whether a journey has finality. Poem reflections psychological process.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
The poem is a "multi - dimensional" exploration of the concept of journey:

LEVEL 1 - It is a poem about seeking inspiration (metafiction - poem about writing poems)

LEVEL 2- It is a poem about the journey we all take to understand ourselves

LEVEL 3- It is a poem about the Physical Journey vs. the Imaginative Journey characterised in the poem with the juxtaposition of binary opposites - (phys. and imag.)

LEVEL 4- It is a poem about thinking outside the square - movement outside of the physical and into the imaginary.

* The poem presents and compares both the advantages and disadvantages of the physical and imaginative worlds:

PHYSICAL
ADVANTAGES: paths to follow, elemts of predictability/ safety "road most travelled",
DISADVANTAGES: the boring, the mundane etc, LIMITED

IMAGINATIVE
ADVANTAGES: unchartered, exciting, sense of unpredictability, UNLIMITED
DISADVATAGES: exciting, but dangerous, unfamiliar territory

Techniques:
Metafiction - the poem is about writing poems, in particular, looking for inspiration in a mundane world.

Oxymoron "net of air" - provides contrast and contradiction

Juxtaposition- "light and dark" - known and unknown, possible and impossible, shows that the possibilties in the imaginative world are much greater even though we dont always find them.. there are problems. "tangle of branches, net of air"

Similes "sodden as a fallen log"

Imagery and Symbolism " i notice: that the hills which the eyes make flat as a wall, welded together"

Ambiguity (particularly in title) brings several connotations - scientific, geographical, personal etc

Stream of Consciousness following M.A's thought patterns reflected by the free form of the poem.

Free Verse - no set structure. thought process highlighted

Punctuation - frequent dashes etc further higlights thought process.

use of language - e.g the mathematical terms "point to point" "a dotted line" the physical worlds is locked in by formulas and restrictions

gloomy

moo
HSC
if they were to specify a text, they would make it very clear, and everyone would know. The Board of Studies wouldn't specify a stimulus booklet text in the exam tomorrow, because that would severely disadvantage the rest of the state would hadn't even looked at that text.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
gloomy said:
if they were to specify a text, they would make it very clear, and everyone would know. The Board of Studies wouldn't specify a stimulus booklet text in the exam tomorrow, because that would severely disadvantage the rest of the state would hadn't even looked at that text.
isnt it assumed we have to have an idea of each of the stimulus just incase they specify??

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Oh no. Please dont stress me even more lol. Ive only studied Journey to the Interior, Ivory Trail and maybe Wind in the Willows. :( I just hate the unpredictability of the exam.

gloomy

moo
HSC
Born Dancer said:
isnt it assumed we have to have an idea of each of the stimulus just incase they specify??
im willing to bet you 20 dollars that nothing will be specified. :rolleyes:

rizamae

HSC
:confused: Im doing "Journey into the Interior" by Theodore Roethke, and i need a summary for it... i just cant find any!!! can anyone help me please?

i also nid sum help with collecting othe texts related to imaginative journeys........

rizamae

HSC
im kinda new here...... so i dunno wat thread is....... i nid a summary, lyk analysis and wat the poem is about...... its lyk due in 2 days time! damn.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)