Judge Me, Should i do extension 1? (1 Viewer)

lou071

HSC
N/A
So anyway, i just finished year 10 and and starting checking out these HSC forums. I looked in the 3 unit section and looked through some of the topics and realised, "Oh Shit, i don't know jack about any of these topics!".

I was pretty happy with my mathematics marks i obtained last year
93 School Cert
86 Advanced math ranked 2nd.

But know when i look at the syllabus its all so confusing.

Are the concepts easy to grasp at first and do you recommend i go ahead?
or should i stick with normal 2 unit?
do you know what you want to do at uni?
if you know then check the assumed and recommened
knowledge, but definitely do 3 unit coz u seem capable in
handling it:)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You got good marks- go for it!

Maths extesion 1 is fun and it isn't as hard as you think it is :p

You can drop it later but i doubt you would ^^

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I am just wondering. I am doing Mathematics advanced and maths extension 1 this year. Will there be two different classes (one for each), where i go to adv. in one period and then have another period of maths ext 1? Or is there just 1 class where you do maths extension 1 and adv at the same time?

LiveUrLife93

HSC
^^ um its separate classes i think. I was wondering if u do 2 unit when u get your ranking is it a ranking out of only the people that do 2 unit or does it include ext 1 as well?

jet

Banned
HSC
@kurt.physics With our school they were marked as separate periods cause they had lines, but our class never distinguished between the two. We had the same teacher for both too.

@op Just do it. You can always drop if you don't do well. Just make sure it doesn't clash with a subject you definitely want to do.

abbey91

Boarder from waggga wagga, living in glebe, sydney
HSC
i thought i could do it- it was an absolute nightmare....the workload was huge.....if u try it....make sure u stay on top of it because if you get one lesson behind your stuffed!...dropping it was the best thing i ever did...extension english on the other hand is wonderful! GOOD LUCK

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
sry- but i noticed you said adv eng didnt count?- i am doing 4 units of eng also and was under the impression advanced must count? (because i hate it!- but love the extensions.
If you do extension 2 english then they take the highest 2 units of any of your english courses. This can be a mixture of your advanced or extension courses depending on which units you go better in. So yes, your advanced english will not go towards your UAI if you do better in the 2 extension courses :)

overRun

HSC
Its easier than you may think, but once u start the course you'll breeze through.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Its easier than you may think, but once u start the course you'll breeze through.

i hope so.. because i have really.. started to my feet of the pedal after the SC..:mad1:

Only 3 days.. to see what extension 1 maths classes are like...:)

still i stand by what i have said in other threads.. i don't want to go back...to school just yet...:(

overRun

HSC
i hope so.. because i have really.. started to my feet of the pedal after the SC..:mad1:

Only 3 days.. to see what extension 1 maths classes are like...:)

still i stand by what i have said in other threads.. i don't want to go back...to school just yet...:(

if i were to have told u before the long holidays had started;
o i would of told u to relax and enjoy the holidays dont stress.
o when i started math ext 1 we started off with very easy algebra and simple stuff. ( just enjoy doin maths ).
o i didnt do anythin proir to starting yr 11 and through out the year i got top 5 for all my assignments in both 2u, 3u and all my other subjects(phys , chem, bio,)
o and another thing i got a really poor mark in my SC maths[band 4 73(or something like that)]
o dont stress over yaer 11 take it easy do what u enjoy doin and make sure u learn all the fundemental concepts which will haunt u in yr 12.

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
So anyway, i just finished year 10 and and starting checking out these HSC forums. I looked in the 3 unit section and looked through some of the topics and realised, "Oh Shit, i don't know jack about any of these topics!".

I was pretty happy with my mathematics marks i obtained last year
93 School Cert
86 Advanced math ranked 2nd.

But know when i look at the syllabus its all so confusing.

Are the concepts easy to grasp at first and do you recommend i go ahead?
or should i stick with normal 2 unit?
Go for it. I got the same mark as you for SC. The syllabus looks daunting but it all falls into place once you get things explained. Oh, you should like maths. The scaling is good too. :) Good luck.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
I would go for it, like everyone else has said. You can get rid of it if its not what you thought it would be. It gets much more full on in Yr12, and i made the mistake of not getting on top of the work and revising (plus our teacher didnt give a rats) so i ended up not understanding the topics that followed on from the previous. Passed the exam but failed Ext1 course overall for HSC :( If you have a good teacher and stay on top of it and all that you will be fine! Do it!!

laura_hill

HSC
You never know anything about them. I'm doing extension 1 now and i'm looking at the topics ahead of me and i think i know jack s***

It al looks over whelming before you do and yeah you can always drop it

I got 93 in SC and my other class mate - yes just on other - didn't even get a band 6 in maths but we are acing maths ext now

Go for it

You've got nothing to loose just make sure you have enough units so you can drop it if need be but stick it out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)