JulioClaudians (1 Viewer)

R

randhi

Okay i just realised how much work ihave to do for this area, i still have to write separate essays for Nero, Gaius, Claudius, Tiberius and Augustus. Do u think it would be really stupid if i just did an essay on Augustus?
or maybe i should just do everything???

please help the confused one!!!

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
HSC
The way that i approcahed my notes on the Julio Claudians was thematically
i.e. the relationship with each emperor with the senate etc.

cause i noticed that the questions are asked along those lines
however there are exeptions to this rule so u also gotta know
the specific events in each reign.

whatever trial question u did try to do the other ones
and find other trial papers and do the questions there

thats my two cents

SmokedSalmon

HSC
hey randhi,
this is what i did for the hsc. You see, EVERY year there is ALWAYS a lone question on the principate of Augustus. so since i didn't have enough time (or didn't really want to bother) to learn absolutely everything about Rome, I just mainly studied augustus in depth. And for my other historical period (NK Egypt), revised everything about it instead like covered all bases. it worked like a charm. good luck!

Magister

HSC
N/A
Re Julio-Claudians

With Augustus it's important to know about the Principate and how he managed to maintain the guise of republican government when in effect it was one-man rule. Look at his "Res Gestae" as a primary source told from his point of view. It is propagandist and can be compared with other sources. You should also look at what Plutarch, Suetonius and Tacitus have to say about him. The succession is another important area which could crop up in the exam. I have my uni notes on this, so I'll type them up and send them to you as I think they will be helpful. Good luck with the revision!!
Magister

R

randhi

aww!!! thanks guys!!! i really do mean that, i am getting nervous about this studying this whole topic area. But ur right, i mean they always have a question on Augustus on they have that general question about how beneficial his reign is or consolidate his power, or anything like that. So i'm doing an essay on Augustus right now!!! its hard starting from scratch, OH!! thank you magister for that, that would be really nice!!!, but i think to be on the safe side and only if i have time i'll tib and Claud because the HSC ppl like those two, next to aug. lol, sorry fo the rambling, but thank you guys!!

R

randhi

Guys, may i ask one more question, did u make notes on all the other emperors??

Caratacus

HSC
N/A
EVERY year there is ALWAYS a lone question on the principate of Augustus
There was a BoS bulletin last year that said they can cover the whole range of topics in Ancient History, & that people shouldn't assume that just because there's been a question on a topic every year doesn't mean they have to put one in. Teachers take this to mean that there may not be an Augustus question, but rather two questions on any of the A & the J-Cs bullet points. I will see if I can find the bulletin & post it. The bottom line is I don't think you can assume there will be an Augustus question, though there always has been.

Plebeian

I agree with Caratacus; additionally, one of last year's questions was "Explain how Augustus gained and maintained his constitutional position" (roughly), so it is far from certain that there will be another question on this exact topic again.

R

randhi

well i've take your advice and i've written notes on Tiberius and Caligula so far, i'm starting an essay on Tiberius.. so nearly there. But i have to agree they might not have a gain and maintain constitutional power question for Augustus this year but they tend to have a general consolidate his power question...

Skryp

.The Master.
HSC
There wasn't one question on Augustus on the Catholic Trial...

Magister

HSC
N/A
Re Julio Claudians

I wouldn't take the Catholic Trial Papers as an accurate reflection of the actual HSC exam. Over the years I've found their questions to be quite idiosyncratic and I refused to use them with my classes, even though Govt. schools have access to them. It is best to go by the trends you see in the past BOS HSC papers. As Augustus is central to much of this topic (Second Triumvirate, Civil War with Antony & Cleo, the Principate, constitution and succession) it is sensible to cover it.
Magister

R

randhi

But what are the chances of a topic clearly named Aug and the Julio-claudians, to have no question on Aug....

Magister

HSC
N/A
Julio-Claudians

Don't try to second-guess the examination committee!! Just be prepared for a question (a) Solely on some aspect of Augustus' Principate
(b) One which might require some applied knowledge/information about
Octavian/Augustus in combination with another person or event.
Again, just be prepared as well as you can be !

Magister

SandraDee

I would seriously not just study Augustus you really have to know the whole period... Also do you guys know the freedmen and those random personalities (Seneca Agrippa etc) that in depth coz i have no clue on those areas

p.s do u know that in the new syllabus Agustus and the Julio Claudians are beingmade into two seperate periods so you only study Augustus OR the julio claudians!!!

R

randhi

Yeh i heard about that!! cuts out alot of work...if only it came a little sooner. ah well. for the Freedmen, Sejanus, seneca and burrus and stuff i learnt it, but u don't need to know Agrippa. i didn't write any notes one him anyhow.

Ava

HSC
I'm having an easier time with Aug. & the julio claudians than I am with Greece 449 - whatever...thats just killing me.

When I get around to writing up full notes I'm not going divide it into the individual emperors but into diff. sections like administration, relationship with senate, frontier policy, praetrian guard...etc...I think it'll be easier that way~

charmed_cuties

Bubblegum girl
HSC
its a piss off how the board of studies is changing the ancient history syllabus! The fact that every1 has to do the core topic of pompeii and herculaneum next yr is so unfair coz i did it in preliminary and have a fair greater knowlege on pompeii

When the teacher told me that the topic on Augustus and the Julio Claudians were going to be separated once again i went crazy coz its a pretty big topic and involves so much!

Paroissien

HSC
By the sound of it, it may be a abit risky, but I am almost completely preparing myself for a question on Augusts (which I take to include other prominent of the time). I've devoted minimal time to the other four emperors, but if the worst should happen, I reckon I'll be able to pull a decent mark for the Julio-Claudians.

R

randhi

Ava, i've done that for my notes, i've spilt the emperors and put sub sections for each, like Admin, army, PG, Senate, relationship with people yadda yadda its so much easier to learn from.
Paroissien, yeh i know what you mean, thats why done what u've done, well basically, i'm focusing on Aug and Tib mainly and just going through my notes for the others and hope i know it well enough in case i have to pull something on the spot!! and hope it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)