Junk Food Causing Childhood Obesity: (1 Viewer)

HSC
To my knowledge eating too much has a greater role in causeing overweight-ness than lack of exercise. I could be wrong...

transcendent

HSC
N/A
sometimes it can be genetic. also Sumo wrestlers are okay as long as they keep practising. once they retire and don't get the exercise they start getting heaps of problems apparently.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
ROFL hey katie_tully I need to lose some weight lets play 'ninja turtles' and don't diss the PEPSI (It's cleaner then 98% of all bottled water and has more caffeine in it then 2 cups of coffee. It's also saves time to making a cofee.)

Katie was right though... I think alot of people who are on relatively low income don't find the time to 'go outside and play' after they're in their pre-teens. They're too busy working their way into 'upper-middle-class'.

It's a balance of poor diet and lack of exercise. It's also a problem with poor time management.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
gerhard said:
why?

advertising assumes that the people watching are rational beings, capable of making decisions for themselves. whereas the court system, and psychologists would deny that children are able to do this.
So 10 year old kids all have part time jobs with which to fund their junk food obesession? The blame rests with the parents.

HSC
katie_tully said:
What a crock. They're fat because they won't get off their god damn fat arses and do some exercise.
Back in my day (before Nintendo and what have you became totally accessable and fashionable), we loved nothing more than hours of romping around outside.
Sure, we ate the occasional packet of chips, or binged for hours on lollies. But we'd then be back outside, playing ninja turtles and such.

Now I see kids at 7:30, walking to school with A COKE IN THEIR FAT LITTLE MITTEN. Dear lord, where are the parents? The parents are probably morbidly obese monkeys too, eating their way to becoming the poster family for coronary heart disease.

Make the fuckers get up and do 2 hours of exercise. Ban the nintendo. Play station. X Box. Computer. Whatever. Tie rope to their waist, and drag them along with a car if you have to.
Agree with everything except the car dragging bit but only because it would lead to injury and cost money.

Ineresting article from The Herald today in relation to this though.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Errr... that wont work... fat people don't eat for hunger.... we eat for taste.... this thing will probably be like an appetiser for me. (Meaning I wont be hungry, so I'll only eat the 'JUNK FOOD'...)

L

littlewing69

iamsickofyear12 said:
The solution to this problem is simple. Invent something healthy that doesn't taste like shit.
You're kidding, right?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Solutions (to work in combination):
-Up PE to an hour a day every week at school.
-Teach kids about dieting.
-Stop pushing positive body image at school currently we tell kids, its OK to be fat. We should tell them its OK to be ugly its NOT ok to be fat.
-Have school based intervention programmes for fat kids (and their parents).
-Add a health index to school reports eg a section that says "your kid is unhealthily fat" "your kid places here in relation to national and class averages"
-charge fat people more (two seats on planes, in cinemas, etc)
-national service

Optophobia

HSC
It's all about mind set & restraint. I drink pepsi and eat ice cream for breakfast but im only 65 KG or so.. It's about using more energy then you're putting in.

There are also no good or bad foods.. Only dense and light foods. If you can only eat a certain amount of energy in a day, it doesn't matter whether that energy comes from 1 chocolate bar or 5 oranges.. so long as that amount of energy isn't surpassed.
Edit: Except that you need certain vitamins and minerals that are found in Oranges and not Chocolate.

That said, I saw this heaps fat kid yesterday, i felt sick! He was so poodgey and stuff. He looked like he would roll if you kicked him on a down hill slope. It was disgusting. When it's that bad, the problem lies in the parents and the parents alone. They haven't taught correctly.

Banning junk food advertising? That's stupid and wouldn't do anything. It isn't the kids who purchase stuff, its the parents. We banned cigarette advertising and look how well that has stopped people from smoking :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I don't see the point any of you are trying to make. Why should childhood obesity concern anyone? It's not something any of us have any control over and sometimes it's not the parents fault. It's liek me... I'm lazy and I like eating and therefore I'm overweight. I know the risks of being overweight so why should It matter? It's not like smoking which effects people around you. It doesn't cause cancers or other things alike. (I don't overconsume sugars so I wont get diabetes and therefore the only risks are things like clogged arteries, I take blood tests though so that isn't an issue either. ) I exercise and such too so that eliminates some of the other problems. (Genetic engineering has answers though... obesity isn't something which will be an issue to man for real long...)

banco55

HSC
sam04u said:
I don't see the point any of you are trying to make. Why should childhood obesity concern anyone? It's not something any of us have any control over and sometimes it's not the parents fault. It's liek me... I'm lazy and I like eating and therefore I'm overweight. I know the risks of being overweight so why should It matter? It's not like smoking which effects people around you. It doesn't cause cancers or other things alike. (I don't overconsume sugars so I wont get diabetes and therefore the only risks are things like clogged arteries, I take blood tests though so that isn't an issue either. ) I exercise and such too so that eliminates some of the other problems. (Genetic engineering has answers though... obesity isn't something which will be an issue to man for real long...)
For the same reason the government is concerned about stuff like dental hygiene. If for no other reason than the fact that a generation of fatties will cost Australia hundreds of millions of dollars in health spending. Schools should STFU about anorexia. I've heard hours of lectures at school on eating disorders but virtually nothing on fitness, weight loss, basal metabolic rate etc. Anorexia is a very small problem (in terms of numbers) compared to obesity but anorexia is a trendy, PC disease.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Solutions (to work in combination):
-Up PE to an hour a day every week at school.
-Teach kids about dieting.
-Stop pushing positive body image at school currently we tell kids, its OK to be fat. We should tell them its OK to be ugly its NOT ok to be fat.
-Have school based intervention programmes for fat kids (and their parents).
-Add a health index to school reports eg a section that says "your kid is unhealthily fat" "your kid places here in relation to national and class averages"
-charge fat people more (two seats on planes, in cinemas, etc)
-national service
I like the way you think, the report card especially, with like a graph compared to the nations average, and a redl line in the graph to show where a healthy weight is. Easiest way to do it would be off a BMI, but according to that i am at a healthy weight. The thing is i dont look fat, but i also have no muscle so my fat % must be huge.

I also think annorexia is bunk... its almost as over hyped as AIDS!

L

littlewing69

sam04u said:

Don't take my hospital bed, don't sit next to me on an aeroplane, and don't doom your kids by making them fat as well, and I have no beef with you.

Haha. Beef.

EDIT:

PE should be available to year 12 as a fitness thing. Nerds such as myself need to focus on academics in our 10 units, but I would really enjoy being able to get some exercise in at school. The gym at lunch is okay, but a fitness class with everyone else would be stellar.

Last edited by a moderator:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Lol FUCK airlines they should make seats bigger! Also, as I said obesity isn't a long term problem... It's been around for longer then religion it's not like annorexia which is a 'future' problem... (obesity can be fixed annorexia can't)

banco55

HSC
Serius said:
I like the way you think, the report card especially, with like a graph compared to the nations average, and a redl line in the graph to show where a healthy weight is. Easiest way to do it would be off a BMI, but according to that i am at a healthy weight. The thing is i dont look fat, but i also have no muscle so my fat % must be huge.

I also think annorexia is bunk... its almost as over hyped as AIDS!
They give detailed physical fitness reports (including weight) in singapore. Would never happen here would be too damaging to people's precious self esteem.

banco55

HSC
sam04u said:
Lol FUCK airlines they should make seats bigger! Also, as I said obesity isn't a long term problem... It's been around for longer then religion it's not like annorexia which is a 'future' problem... (obesity can be fixed annorexia can't)

Anorexia's been around for quite a few centuries which is one reason the feminist argument that hollywood etc. is to blame is BS.

L

littlewing69

sam04u said:

Obesity can already be fixed without your magical genetic engineering solution. Get up and go for a run, and when you get back home, skip the milkshake. Obesity is nature's way of telling you that you're not living healthily.

L

littlewing69

transcendent said:
Old people are costing us more then fat people in my opinion.
True. But old age is inevitable, not a preventable lifestyle disease, and in any case, obesity leads to worsening of our aging problem as we have our people dropping dead at 45 of heart attacks; people who would otherwise be working hard, paying their taxes and keeping the oldies sheltered and fed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)